Bullseye Backburn Warning

Beach Bum

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
I wanted to share some insight on the previous discussions about shutdown from higher temperatures. About a week ago I was cooking on our Bullseye Deluxe at somewhere in the 450-500 range. I was mindful of the warnings from other posters about going straight into shutdown mode from high temperatures. I did step down the temperature, but likely I was a bit too anxious to wrap up and get back to our guests. Needless to say I hit a backburn into the auger. That led to an auger jam. At the time I did not realize how much of a mess I had made. Yesterday I found out. When attempting to do some cooking, the auger was jammed and the Bullseye was no bueno.

This morning I went to work. I was hoping in test mode that I could free up the auger and clear it. Fortunately a decent bit of poking with a wire coat hanger did the trick. I was able to dislodge enough pellets to restart the auger. After a few minutes, the firepot was full of charred pellets and dust. I attached a picture of what wound up in the pellet dump.

I hope this helps someone else avoid the same problem. I plan to share my story with some folks at Recteq. Having been at the Academy, I have their email addresses. As to whether that will go anywhere, who knows. If nothing else, it feels like the right thing to do. The automatic shutdown routine is fine at lower temperatures but for sure a different story from higher ones.

Backburn.jpg

Good info! I just did burgers at 400 a couple hours ago and doing a spatchcock chicken for dinner. I will start using this method. I often cook flank steak at 500F.

I am now having this issue, and "it all started" with the switch to Lumberjack pellets, I never had this happen in over a year running the Pitboss pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back