Warning: Do not use the ThermoWorks power supply/charger with any other devices!

I can only imagine when the international USB-C standard for portable devices kicks in (2024 for the US). There will be a lot of burnt eutectic material in the air.
“I like to smell of burnt capacitors in the morning!”
The problem is that the ThermoWorks power supply/charger is actually a USB-A device, allowing connection to a variety of cables, including USB-A to USB-C. Plugging one of those cables into the TW device instantly creates a hazardous product.

I don’t understand why TW chose the USB-A connector for the power supply/charger and the USB-C connector for its end devices like the Signals, Smoke X and Bellows. A simple, hardwired cable terminating in a standard coaxial push-in connector would have avoided this whole issue.

I once had an engineer comment to me regarding why he designed a product in an unconventional configuration “because I could.” Sometimes, they just don’t think ahead to the unintended consequences analysis.

Last edited:
Just to tie up the loose ends, the replacement CI Predictive Thermometer booster and display units have arrived, as promised. Much appreciated, CI.

You can be sure they will NOT be plugged into the TW power supply/charger. We now have a dedicated, standard 5VDC charger in place for that. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back