Warning: Do not use the ThermoWorks power supply/charger with any other devices!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
As a result of my recent experience noted in another thread, I feel I should post a general warning on this. The power supply/charger used on ThermoWorks products (Signals, Smoke and Billows) looks like any common USB charger; It has a USB-A output port and the supplied cable for it has a USB-A connector on one end and a USB-C connector on the other. It is definitely not a USB-compatible charger, however!!!

The TW charger outputs 12VDC, not the standard 5VDC used in USB devices and the higher voltage will quickly fry those devices (such as Combustion Inc wireless thermometers and displays, cell phones, etc.). I can personally vouch for this. And, unfortunately, all standard USB charging cables for phones, tablets, etc. will plug into the USB-A port on the TW charger just like they would a standard 5VDC USB charger..

I have communicated my concerns to ThermoWorks and have been informed that they are now marking their power supplies/chargers more clearly regarding the higher voltage. Still, with the continued use of the USB-A output port, it is all-too-easy for family members to mistake this power supply/charger as one compatible with charging their USB devices.

Combustion Inc. was more than gracious in replacing my destroyed units despite the fact that it was my fault—not theirs—that they were connected to a 12VDC charger. CI has now posted a warning on its website regarding using the TW charger with its devices.

Be careful if you have a ThermoWorks 12VDC power supply/charger!

Last edited:
Hi Jim, glad to see CI took care of you. My experience with them has been good, though certainly nothing close to your situation. My wife and I were pondering chargers a few days ago, just as you reported your experience. It made us stop and ask questions about what we were doing.

Hi Jim, glad to see CI took care of you. My experience with them has been good, though certainly nothing close to your situation. My wife and I were pondering chargers a few days ago, just as you reported your experience. It made us stop and ask questions about what we were doing.
Yeah, the ThermoWorks charger is definitely NOT for anything but TW devices! And, the point I made to TW was that it looks EXACTLY like a standard, 5VDC USB charger. Very easy to confuse the two.

CI was amazing! Initially, I thought they’d sent me a couple of dead devices and I was not happy. CI owner, Chris Young, responded personally to my e-mail to CI Customer Service and walked me through several diagnostic steps. At one point, I commented that I thought the power supply/charger was OK because it charged my TW Signals device. Bingo!

Chris responded immediately, saying that they had experienced at least one other issue involving the TW charger. He asked me to verify the voltage and, sure enough, in very tiny, grey print on a black surface, it said “Output: 12VDC.” It took a magnifying glass for me to see it. And, I had no idea it wasn’t the standard 5VDC USB voltage.

Despite me owning up to using the wrong charger, Chris insisted on replacing the damaged CI booster and display units; “…we’ll send you a replacement booster and display with my compliments.“ Totally class act! And, as a result, I ordered a second predictive thermometer and booster.

The power cord/charger of my TW Signals has the following warning printed on the case: " USE ONLY WITH SIGNALS". Thus, I have been able to avoid any confusion/mishaps.

The power cord/charger of my TW Signals has the following warning printed on the case: " USE ONLY WITH SIGNALS". Thus, I have been able to avoid any confusion/mishaps.
Mine is, apparently, an earlier version that has that warning printed in very small, medium-gray type on a black body. You literally need a magnifying glass to find and read it. And, I didn’t find any such warning prominently displayed in the user instructions.

It’s a sad day when manufacturers expect users to read fine print or the manual for anything! 😂 One of my favorite signs!

IMG_1661.jpeg

Last edited:
Jim; Did you happen ask (Thermoworks, if you talked to them) if a "standard" 5 Vdc USB charger would work on the Signals unit ? I tend to think not, but it'd be a great way to further insure that people don't have the same problem in the future.

I really like my signals unit, but Thermowork's choice of connector and voltage combination was a REALLY BAD decision. They obviously didn't think that one through. Or, they did and they ignored the obvious.

Jim; Did you happen ask (Thermoworks, if you talked to them) if a "standard" 5 Vdc USB charger would work on the Signals unit ? I tend to think not, but it'd be a great way to further insure that people don't have the same problem in the future.

I really like my signals unit, but Thermowork's choice of connector and voltage combination was a REALLY BAD decision. They obviously didn't think that one through. Or, they did and they ignored the obvious.
Have to agree with @Jim6820 that the Signals operating instructions are kinda weak regarding the AC adaptor. They do specifically state to use only the 12V Signals adaptor that comes with the unit to power and charge the battery. Don't think a 5V USB charger would work although it probably would fit.

Last edited:

I can tell you from experience that the Signals will not work with a 5v charger, ant least mine will not. That’s how I found about the difference between the TW charger and everyone else’s 5v charger a couple of years ago when a 5v charger would not power it up.

Th
I can tell you from experience that the Signals will not work with a 5v charger, ant least mine will not. That’s how I found about the difference between the TW charger and everyone else’s 5v charger a couple of years ago when a 5v charger would not power it up.
That was my assumption. TW should have simply put a small, round, pin and sleeve style power connector on it and called it good.

I didn’t ask, but I know it won’t. A 12VDC device requires at least 9+ volts to function in my experience (50 years ham radio).

Jim,

Great observation. Glad they made you whole. When I purchased mine 9 months or so ago (based on a recommendation by some guy named Jim6820 on some obscure pellet grill site during a sale, lol), the first thing I noticed was the output voltage. Not only was it marked on the manual and device but they actually sold a “special“ battery pack for their unit. Because mine won’t run for 19 hours without a charge to support some of my brisket and pork butt cooks, I called to ask if the pin-outs were the same so I could use my battery packs (yes I was too cheap to buy the OEM’s version). Their tech said yes but the trigger voltage was higher. Fortunately, I have several battery packs that meet their spec (e.g., ~11-13vDC). Many of you may need to look at your own battery packs to determine if they have output switching. Most of the dual use that charge laptops can actually hit 19vDC so make sure you select the output voltage accordingly. One last tip, I purchased their large case and that forces me to keep the charger with the unit. The case is crap but I have so many devices, at least I can “poka-yoke” a solution to prevent problems.

I can only imagine when the international USB-C standard for portable devices kicks in (2024 for the US). There will be a lot of burnt eutectic material in the air.
“I like to smell of burnt capacitors in the morning!”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back