BFG Back Again and still learning

Greg: That is a beautiful shop layout. I bet all that vacuum equipment "REALLY SUCKS"! :)
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
v/r r
It is a fantastic looking shop like I have always wished for. I bet that sucka will suck the chrome off a um, bumper.

I get it. I've managed to whack off the top of my thumb twice when chopping vegetables/herbs with a plain old Wusthof chef's knife. I guess life isn't worth living if you don't have the scars to prove it.
Agreed. But I stand a better chance when the tools are powered by me!

Back to the ash thing and other recommendations from the mother ship. After using the Knotty Wood pellets and having ash on my food, I prefer a clean barrel before big cooks. Also after all of the "lid pop" detonation stories, I also now start my grill with the lid open. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not always convinced that some guys day drinking on their Friday livestreams always have the best advice...even with their own products.

Back to the ash thing and other recommendations from the mother ship. After using the Knotty Wood pellets and having ash on my food, I prefer a clean barrel before big cooks. Also after all of the "lid pop" detonation stories, I also now start my grill with the lid open. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not always convinced that some guys day drinking on their Friday livestreams always have the best advice...even with their own products.
I have always left my lid open on startups…over 15 years of wood pellet grills. I’ve never had the lid pop. There’s a distinct sound from the firebox when it goes from starting up to when the firebox is fully ignited. And the startup smoke subsides. That’s when close the lid. That’s about 5-6 minutes after power on.

I have seen the manufacturers (Traeger for sure) go from recommending lid open for start-up and a few years (and models) later advocate for lids closed.

I still start up with the lid closed unless I am looking for a problem start up. In these cases, I will have the lid open, the drip trays and heat shield out of the grill and will be looking right at the fire pot during start up. As long as I have my leather welders glove, I can then replace the heat deflector, drip trays, and grills while the fire pot is lit. Just remember to be careful and don't dawdle during reassembly. :)

I have been "flash burned" a few times over the years (fortunately just eye brows and eye lashes, arm hair, and one one occasion, a light 2nd degree on the hands. Doing a "green egg" burp when using some of their high temperature steak cooking techniques should NOT be an considered an optional step. Not burping the lid of the green egg when coming down from a 900 degree cook is dangerous. I have seen more that a few VERY strong flashovers. Wear welders gloves, turn your head, and "burp the lid".

Back to TheRicker's recommendation, I don't think it could hurt to do the cold starts with a open lid. I don't, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't. I will say that I have "burped" the lid on my BFG wearing welders gloves, but there was an extrordinary amount of smoke and I suspected a grease fire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back