Stampede All weather smoke vents

I used gasket sealant on the vents. The reasoning was to keep the grill drum clean. This did work, because I didn't do it at first and the leaking smoke stained the drum. Now I get no staining.

I also used the high heat RTV red goo to seal the vents. While not ending up as the tidiest job on the planet, the vents are securely attached to the barrel and there is not smoke leaking around them.

I read somewhere that trimming the excess w/ a single edge razor blade should work for correcting my sloppy application.

I don't see any pics!

20201227_105026.jpg

20201227_105027.jpg

20201227_105033.jpg

20201227_105042.jpg

Sealed the hood too with FireBlack Hi Temp BBQ Smoker Gasket.
I'm goona have to do something about its location or the smoke vents though, its staining my wall.
Probably put a temp barrier up on the wall when I'm smoking

I also used the high heat RTV red goo to seal the vents. While not ending up as the tidiest job on the planet, the vents are securely attached to the barrel and there is not smoke leaking around them.

I read somewhere that trimming the excess w/ a single edge razor blade should work for correcting my sloppy application.

Mine was like that too and why I was unhappy but I wiped away the excess when it was still wet. I was disgusted with the job so I left it alone overnight with the intention of ordering the grey fireblock gasket material everyone else used. The next day I went out to look at it again to strategize and to my surprise, the silicone had hardened and glued the vents to the smoker very firmly and it looked clean.

Mine was like that too and why I was unhappy but I wiped away the excess when it was still wet. I was disgusted with the job so I left it alone overnight with the intention of ordering the grey fireblock gasket material everyone else used. The next day I went out to look at it again to strategize and to my surprise, the silicone had hardened and glued the vents to the smoker very firmly and it looked clean.
What did you use to wipe away the excess silicone? I used hi temp gasket material from the auto parts store.

Attachments

• Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 87
  • Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
What did you use to wipe away the excess silicone? I used hi temp gasket material from the auto parts store.
My finger to squeeze it into the gaps then paper towels and simple green to wipe away the excess while it was still wet.
Having done this, I put the silicone on the smoker barrel around the vent openings, I should have put the silicone on the vents as the vent edges don't align with the smoker vent openings.

Made sense at the time to apply it to the barrell but now, I'd strongly suggest applying it to the vents, letting the silicone "skin" then installing the vents on the smoker.

Yours looks pretty good and clean, if it doesn't leak, I wouldn't mess with it.

I'm trying to eliminate and potential smoke leakage and reduce smoke staining so the grill doesn't look 100 years old after 3 smokes. Hate messy looking grills

Last edited:
My finger to squeeze it into the gaps then paper towels and simple green to wipe away the excess while it was still wet.
Having done this, I put the silicone on the smoker barrel around the vent openings, I should have put the silicone on the vents as the vent edges don't align with the smoker vent openings.

Made sense at the time to apply it to the barrell but now, I'd strongly suggest applying it to the vents, letting the silicone "skin" then installing the vents on the smoker
Thanks, good info. I am still thinking of using the red hi temp RTV. I like the racing stripes. LOL

How well did this hold up. Your Post is a few years old just curious. Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know. I used my 590 maybe three times. Didn't care for it and immediately got the 380 and have used it ever since. My 590 has been under cover all this time in the garage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back