Stampede All weather smoke vents

Jmfitzjr

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Good morning. Just received my stampede yesterday. Was wondering for the all weather smoke vents do you affix just with the bendable metal or also use hi temp silicone around the perimeter of the vent?
Thanks in advance
John

I just used the bendable metal tabs and must say the fit is um...…………...….a bit cheezy. I haven't spent the time to figure it out but one has a decent tight fit, the others are floppy. Probably variance in tab attachment welds since the hole size seems pretty uniform. As for using some sort of sealant I can't imagine it hurts anything. The suggested reason from RT for these is as a preventive for "rain" intrusion. I guess there was a customer demand for such a thing. Personally, I'd be more worried about the electronics in a rainy situation if I were to use it in an exposed location. I got them to redirect the flow of the smoke out with a bit more sideways bias to alleviate smoke going directly to the overhead structure I have. It probably doesn't do much to be truthful. I haven't recommended them to the two neighbors who made spin off purchases of the Stampede. If I had to work up a practical rationalization for these it would be that it slows down the exit of the smoke by some nominal amount thus, perhaps, increasing flavor to the food. Pure speculation, and I don't have sufficient motivation to prove or disprove......…...…...…………..How's that for a lukewarm endorsement?

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the tabs and see how they fit and report back :)

I used a lavalock gasket on my trailblazer and bent the tabs to secure it. I'll let you know how it does this week.
20190406_191856.jpg

I second Uncle Bob. The fit on mine is tight on the top but a gapper at the bottom regardless how I manipulate the tabs. A spot weld on one of mine broke too.

I like Navydroid's lavalock idea. Question is, where do I get the stuff.

Longer Testimony:
I've been smoking on the Stampede in a variety of weather conditions ranging from light rain to torrential rain to snow, and the vents do keep the elements at bay and off the meat. It doesn't keep all moisture and certain sideways torrential rains out, but it definitely mitigates them. I've realistically had only 5-6 total experiences of adverse weather conditions for smoking. About 7 months into my ownership of the Stampede, one of the tabs on one of the weather vents broke its weld. I inspected the other two, and they're incredibly brittle and are about to go at any time (ref. attached pictures of the one broken vent). I've had about 35 total smokes before I lost one.

During the time frame of not having just 1 vent, I was smoking a pork butt when we had a torrential rain hit during an unexpected pop-up thunderstorm. To give you an idea, I had almost half a bucket's worth of water in my drip pan bucket. Thankfully it was the final stages of my pork butt, and it was foiled. Even without one of the vents, it's noticeable. My grill dropped almost 40 degrees in a 15 minute window from the rain, and I never saw that in previous smokes with bad rain. It could have been from water hitting the internal probe, it could have been just the 1 storm where I had perfect northern rain that wouldn't have made a difference... but it did make me a believer in the vents. I never had a bucket that full in past rain storms, and my drip pan was a hot mess (pun intended lol).

TL;DR / Summary of Above:
Are the vents "a bit cheezy"? I completely agree with Uncle Bob. The vents do not reflect the same high quality material as the rest of the Stampede. I fully trust the Rec-Tec ceramic ignition, auger, electronics, grates, etc. long over the vents. They're easily the cheapest component to my setup.

Are the vents useful and worth it? After yesterday's near catastrophe I'd say they're totally worth it if you're willing to smoke in any weather.

Next Steps:
I'm going to be going the gasket seal route for this next round of vents, so thanks for the suggestions Navydroid and Mike. Also, you can even note the difference in quality of the 3 new fresh replacements. The areas where I circled on two of the vents reflect the same poor quality of the one failed vent. Hopefully with the gasket tape I can make this next batch last longer.

Cheers all and happy grilling!

Attachments

• RecTec-AllWeatherVent-2.jpg
    RecTec-AllWeatherVent-2.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 243
  • RecTec-AllWeatherVent-1.jpg
    RecTec-AllWeatherVent-1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 233
  • RecTec-AllWeatherVent-3.jpg
    RecTec-AllWeatherVent-3.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 304
Rec Tec missed the design on these 340 and 590 grills, if they punched out louvers like Weber did on the Smokefire instead of just punching out open holes for the vents the rain and weather entry problem would have been solved.
To install the RecTec accessory vents I would recommend using a high temperature silicone gasket maker to seal and help hold them in place. The areas the sealant is applied to needs to be spotless clean and then degreased with rubbing alcohol for the sealant to adhere correctly. Any excess that squeezes out you can easily remove after it dries with a razor blade.

Attachments

• 20200621_080745.jpg
    20200621_080745.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 138
I am trying out hi temp gasket for now for the smoke vents. Auto parts shop only had white gasket. I think black would be better. I may still try out Fireblack gasket.

Attachments

• Cord Holder.jpg
    Cord Holder.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 333
  • Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 197
I siliconed mine with high heat RTV. Wasn't happy initially but since it set(up and cured) overnight, the vents are firmly in place like they are glued

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back