Advice needed - what to buy?

Metty

Here's what I currently have:
Weber Summit 600 series (natural gas)
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" (natural gas)
Blackstone flat top (propane) - used mostly for breakfast/burgers/fried rice and my portable tailgating grill.

I love both my Weber and Blackstone. I've never had much luck with the Smoke Vault - I've done much better smoking things on the Weber w/ built in smoke box.

I keep hearing how great these Recteq's are, so I'm going to take the plunge. Trying to decide between the 590 and 700. Here are the questions I have that I'm hoping y'all can help me with:
- Does the RecTeq need to be next to my Weber grill or Blackstone (for searing/finishing)?
- I hate the thought of getting rid of my Weber, but do I really need it (especially if I get the 700)? What would I miss?
- I am somewhat concerned about weight as I have both my Weber and Smoke Vault on my deck right now. I know nobody could answer this question without knowing the dimensions/layout of my deck, but I'd love to put the RecTeq on the patio underneath the deck. However, I can't put my grills on the patio because of the natural gas line that goes up to my deck.

Thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions. This forum is awesome and I'm getting excited to learn more once I get one!

Metty

@Metty first and foremost, welcome to RecTeqForum and thank you for joining!

A lot of your questions are really just personal preference but I'll answer them based on my experience and preference. First as for the 590 and 700, this really depends on how much you plan on cooking. For my a 590 would have worked for me for about 80% of the time as I'm normally just cooking for the wife and I and our two small kids.

However we due like to have cookouts with our friends and family other times and it's really for that reason why I went with the RT-700. For me, I'd rather have the extra room and not need it, than to need the extra room and not have it. So the Recteq Bull was what I went with.

Does the RecTeq need to be next to your Weber grill or Blackstone? Maybe. The RT-700 is my only grill. I cook steaks all the time on my RecTeq Bull, in fact I just did a ribeye and filet mignon yesterday and they came out perfect using the reverse sear method.

I do however use a GrillGrate searing grates to help with the searing. These aren't entirely needed but does help a lot. Though you could also do the same if you have a cast iron skillet. Or if you really wanted you could use the Weber grill to sear on as it will get to a high temp very fast. So this is really a personal preference. The weber isn't needed, but could be handy.

I hate the thought of getting rid of my Weber, but do I really need it? The answer above really answers this question as well. The weber with it's gas fuel will get to temp very quickly, speed would probably be the only thing you'll miss. Otherwise either the RT-590 or RT-700 will do everything else just fine... again the RecTeq RT-700 is my only grill and never once have I wished I had another grill of any kind.

As for location - since the RecTeq is electric you only need to worry about supplying it with electric either with an outlet near by or a proper extension cord. No need to worry about the gas line as it won't be used.

Hope this helps and be sure to let us know which route you end up going with!

Mike covered most of the points-one additional thing to consider if you are going to put the recteq on the deck is that the RT-700 is deeper than the RT-590 due to the pellet hopper being located on the back. Width wise, I believe they are about the same.

I have a lower patio under my deck with a walk-out door from my wood shop and I have a Wyldside, a Blackstone, and the RT-700 down there. Up on the deck, which is right outside my indoor kitchen, I have a RT-340, a Bullseye, and a Matador. I prefer to cook on one level, wherever that may be. Yesterday I cooked a ham on the Bullseye and the sides on the RT-340 on the deck. Today I’m cooking a prime rib roast on the rotisserie of the Wyldside and the sides on the RT-700. Running up and down the stairs cooking one meal on two levels just takes the fun out of cooking for me.

If I was starting from scratch, I could work with just my RT-700. But, I already had a Weber Summit 600 NG. I would never give that one away. It is still very useful and hard to beat for quick high heat cooks.

I would go with the 700 if budget and patio/deck space allow. Nobody ever complains about having too much grilling space.

I never sear on my 700. Takes too long and too much fuel to get hot. And even with grill grates, I have better options for searing. I either use my 17” Blackstone or one of my gas grills (I have two. One large Weber and a small portable size). for searing depending on what else I am cooking. Also, I’m sure there are other things you do on your Weber Summit that make keeping it worthwhile.
And yes, the Recteq’s are terrific and the customer service is beyond excellent.

Thanks all for your quick responses! I'm going to go with the 700. Any accessories you recommend? Thinking the front folding shelf would be handy. Let me know of any must-haves!

Front shelf, must have for sure. Competition cart and cover nice to have. Smoke box and GrillGrates, luxury items.

Thanks all for your quick responses! I'm going to go with the 700. Any accessories you recommend? Thinking the front folding shelf would be handy. Let me know of any must-haves!
I got the comp cart, front shelf, and extra rack. I don’t use the extra rack that often but when I need it, well I need it and am glad I have it. But that’s all I got. Do not see a need for the smoker box and keep mu Bull in my garage so no cover needed.

@Metty, I am a newby and long time frustrated griller. I have had a Big Green Egg, Weber, A Holland Grill (indirect heat), numerous gas burners.

A few weeks ago, I bought a RT590 and I love it. It is super easy to use and the community is great. Even when I could have done better the food is awesome. Have not been disappointed.
Honestly, I am thinking of buying a Bullseye 380(direct heat) to compliment my 590, now that I have experienced RecTeq, just floated it by my wife and I am still typing.......

I have notice that most have a couple of grills as one size does not fit all. Bottom line I think RecTeq is the solution as I have been very happy.

My 2 cents worth!

Front shelf is a must. The interior shelf is helpful. I'm another one who only uses it sometimes. When I need it, I'm glad to have it. For me a cover is a must have and my competition cart is quite useful. Plus it looks great. The smokebox was not essential but fun.

I think I could easily get by with just my RT700 for most all of my grilling and smoking needs. I have the front shelf, large interior shelf, and GrillGrates and chose it over the 590 as we have neighborhood cookouts and I cook for large family gatherings. I do have a small Napoleon gasser but now only use if for quick cooks for the wife and I. Personally, I do think a flattop grill would make a good companion for the 590 or 700. I thought about getting one, but have decided on a disco grill (like the Matador) instead and will be picking it up next month. At that point, I will decide if the gas grill is needed. I only have a small corner of our patio and would like to free up some room.

Front shelf is a must. The interior shelf is helpful. I'm another one who only uses it sometimes. When I need it, I'm glad to have it. For me a cover is a must have and my competition cart is quite useful. Plus it looks great. The smokebox was not essential but fun.
I thinking the front shelf is a must after only 2 cooks.

The front shelf is a must in my opinion. If you will regularly move the grill at all I'd get the comp cart. The stock swivel casters have been known to fail going in & out of the garage. Cooking mats are helpful, though you can get them elsewhere. I also recommend a good instant read thermometer if you don't already have one, and a smoke tube for added smoke flavor.

Pulled the trigger yesterday! Ended up getting the front shelf, large rack, mesh cooking mat, cover, and pellets. Thanks to you all for your help. Can't wait to get this thing!
Beer, what about the beer?

If you're worried about the weight on your deck, you might need to talk to whomever built the deck. A 500 pound man standing on your deck will have more weight dispersed on his two legs than a grill/smoker as it not only weighs less, but the weight is dispersed on to 4 legs. I don't think the man is going to drop your deck to the ground, unless, the deck was poorly built.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back