Adding Tri-tip to the party!

Eleuthros1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I love smoking Tri-tip! I do mine low temp to an I.T. of 100 and then reverse sear it to rare/med rare. I used Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil on this one.
20200606_133604.jpg

I love smoking Tri-tip! I do mine low temp to an I.T. of 100 and then reverse sear it to rare/med rare. I used Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil on this one. View attachment 4609
Looks great, I would love to find this cut of meat around here in the north east, maybe I just have to look harder. The Montreal steak seasoning is one of our go to seasonings for steaks and burgers.

There's one place here that always has it. I have heard it's not very common in some places. These things sliced thin make one heck of a sandwich!

There's one place here that always has it. I have heard it's not very common in some places. These things sliced thin make one heck of a sandwich!
I have the proper equipment to slice it thin for those sandwiches, now I just need to find these Tri Tips locally to try them.
20200526_115649.jpg

These things cook fast too. 26 minutes in and the I.T. is 100 already. Over to the sear grill. I love that I can use the probe still to monitor temps.

Attachments

• 20200606_141424.jpg
    20200606_141424.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
A slicer is next on my list!
I was looking for one for a while and found this one on FB Marketplace locally from a restaurant that had went out of business, good thing there out of business as this thing was nasty dirty. I took it all apart and cleaned it replaced a few parts and it's been a great 12 inch slicer with plenty of power.

Last edited:
That was what I was thinking. I've found a few but never pulled the trigger. I was focused on a grill with more room than my Medium BGE. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll still use the BGE. LOL!

That was what I was thinking. I've found a few but never pulled the trigger. I was focused on a grill with more room than my Medium BGE. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll still use the BGE. LOL!
I've never owned or used a BGE but plenty of people love them and use them regularly, as others have stated before around here, I too are a lazy BBQ person and if it doesn't come out 100% correctly The wife can always turn it into something else that's more edible in a day or two.

The BGE has been my only smoker and I've had it for 23 years now. Still makes great bbq, but this pellet grill is the most set it and forget it option I've seen. I'm curious how well the smoke penetrates with this one. Of course I could always add a smoke tube if we find it necessary.

The BGE has been my only smoker and I've had it for 23 years now. Still makes great bbq, but this pellet grill is the most set it and forget it option I've seen. I'm curious how well the smoke penetrates with this one. Of course I could always add a smoke tube if we find it necessary.
We have used the smoke tube a few times but were not big crazy amount of smoke people so the normal smoke output of the Bull with good pellets has been fine with us. I agree with you on the Rec Tec set it and forget it.

The BGE has been my only smoker and I've had it for 23 years now. Still makes great bbq, but this pellet grill is the most set it and forget it option I've seen...
I got my BGE 16 years ago for Father‘s Day, and I bought my Bull last summer. i have not used the Egg since. Now one big reason for that is I put up a new deck last summer and I had built a BGE table into the base of the old deck, and I still haven’t replaced that. I have found that the Bull gives me about 90% of the results of the BGE with only 10% of the effort. I’m not going to get rid of the Egg because it has been so good to me, but I’d never buy a replacement for it if it ever broke. The Bull is just that good.

That's great to hear. My BGE has always been on a nest. We're about to replace our deck and I'm debating on building in a corner table for the Egg to sit in. I can't tell you how many 20+ hour Boston butts I've done on that thing. It's never failed to give mind blowing results for our guests and family. But it can be a pain maintaining temps and fuel. 20 hours is getting close to all it can do without adding lump.

Oh man, that looks good. Tritip is a favorite with us and our friends. Being in California, it can be found in most markets, Costco and Sam's Club. It is less common and even non-existent in some areas. Online ordering may be the only way to get it in some locales.

I had always cooked tritip on my Bubba Keg komado, front sear, smoke at very low temp to med rare.

These things cook fast too. 26 minutes in and the I.T. is 100 already. Over to the sear grill. I love that I can use the probe still to monitor temps.

Over the years,I have worked to put as much smoke into a tritip as possible while still cooking to medium rare. I put them in the freezer about an hour before searing, pull them out and sear to color over an extremely hot, close, charcoal fire, put them in aluminum tray and return to the freezer for another half hour or so to cool down, then onto the smoker at 180F ramping slowly to 215F to get 2-3 hours of smoke before reaching 135F internal. I can get a nice smoke ring and good smoke flavor using this method.

For slicing, i bought a powered meat slicer, but found that using it was a hassle and clean up took longer than I liked. I bought a Victorinox carving knife that I can slice tritip with consistently and quickly. Although I have to touch up the edge frequently https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-S...ictorinox+carving+knife&qid=1591545355&sr=8-3
I've carved 8 tritips in one session for a party like this. I have cooked tritip quite often for many years and have stopped using my meat slicer. Whether you use a meat slicer or knife, slicing cold is much easier.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back