Soaking Pellets / Chips before Adding to Smoke Tube

whta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone tried this? I saw some folks that questioned doing this, but no reply to their concern. On the BGE, I will soak my chunks sometimes before a long smoke - I feel they give a little more smoke due to the moisture content. Anyway, can I soak some pellets and chips prior to putting them in the smoke tube? I will mix and match wet/dry pellets/chips. I would not just load up soaking wet wood, and I would mix it with dry, especially in the top when I lite.

Just curious?

Has anyone tried this? I saw some folks that questioned doing this, but no reply to their concern. On the BGE, I will soak my chunks sometimes before a long smoke - I feel they give a little more smoke due to the moisture content. Anyway, can I soak some pellets and chips prior to putting them in the smoke tube? I will mix and match wet/dry pellets/chips. I would not just load up soaking wet wood, and I would mix it with dry, especially in the top when I lite.

Just curious?
The pellets will crumble apart into sawdust. If you do this I would only soak the chips. Even then, the water still may leech into the super dry pellets causing then to crumble in the tube.

The best technique I’ve found for using pellets in a smoke tube is to pack the tube tightly, alternating some pellets, then wood chunks, etc. When the tube is filled, you should have 3-4 layers of wood chunks and 4-5 layers of pellets. Make sure the tube is packed tightly, end-to-end, before capping it.

That procedure works for me and produces excellent smoke. I’ve done this in my gas grill for years and now in my RT-340 if I feel I need extra smoke…which is not often.

Thanks for the replies. I "thought" the pellets were solid wood, not compressed sawdust...
The pellets for grilling are compressed sawdust or equivalent composition, most of the time. You may have come across solid pellets that are used for heaters/stoves and I would not recommend using them on a pellet smoker or grill. If anyone on this site used heating pellets on their grill, please share you experience(s).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back