Stampede Adding a Camp Chef Sidekick to a 590 - walkthrough with detailed pictures

KRedman

Though shall not partake of decaf
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Decided to buy a sidekick to attach to my Stampede. I’ll use this to show how to do it step by step and how everything works. Definitely looking forward to having this to compliment the smoker- searing steaks, grilling quick burgers, dogs, and brats, and for the griddle. Should be very cool.

D8BFF469-7585-46C6-B9DB-8757B512BEE3.jpeg

Here are the tools and hardware I used to add on the Sidekick:

69EZ1Fl.jpg

First I removed the handle and temporarily attached it using the lower right mounting hole and the rear handle hole.

pePf1S3.jpg

I tightened it up enough to both support it and to allow me to level it before I marked the three holes with a Sharpie.

oRx7iiR.jpg

After removing the Sidekick, I used a center punch to mark the drilling spots in each circle

06Rldjp.jpg

I used a 1/8" and then a 1/4" bit to drill each hole

KDSj48f.jpg

RMDxOLE.jpg

It just lines up perfectly around the support. That was nice. And yes, I did check to make sure it would before I drilled the holes ;)

Then it's just down to mounting it and bolting it together. It would probably be easier with two people, but it's very light and not that hard to do solo.

PSj2bkS.jpg

C6Ex0OA.jpg

yfKv1gR.jpg

s6fiieJ.jpg

EpjENA4.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Very interested in seeing more details - - thanks in advance for providing us the details and any other guidance/tips. I am hoping the SideKick will replace my gas grill (as I rarely need a big grill - - 4-6 steaks or burgers).

Interested to see how it goes and how it looks on the RT-590. Good luck with the install, and thanks in advance for the info & pix!

Looking forward to this one.

Very interested in seeing more details - - thanks in advance for providing us the details and any other guidance/tips. I am hoping the SideKick will replace my gas grill (as I rarely need a big grill - - 4-6 steaks or burgers).

I updated the first post with my install steps. It went on really easy, and I can't wait to use it as soon as I get a propane tank!

AWESOME - - please keep us posted on the yummy results. Based on your (pending/upcoming) postive results, I will likely make plans to purchase and install a SideKick as well. As always, thanks for sharing.....

Thanks for the post with pics. Look great and should add many additional cooking options for you (y)
I was hoping you were going to attach some type of platform for the propane tank so the tank doesn't sit on the decking surface. I have some ideas, so if I go with the sidekick, I'll post what I do for holding the propane tank, I have the comp cart so I'm sure it will hold the extra weight of the tank. I built a larger deck and move my grill to different locations depending on rain, wind direction etc... so having the tank ride with the grill would be optimal for my use.
IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_0040.jpg

It really is a cool idea. If I didn’t have a 36” Blackstone I would be considering this.
For the searing aspect of the side kick (not griddle), would you use still use the blackstone? I have a blackstone as well, but I think the side kick would sear better?

Decided to buy a sidekick to attach to my Stampede. I’ll use this to show how to do it step by step and how everything works. Definitely looking forward to having this to compliment the smoker- searing steaks, grilling quick burgers, dogs, and brats, and for the griddle. Should be very cool.

View attachment 13442

69EZ1Fl.jpg

First I removed the handle and temporarily attached it using the lower right mounting hole and the rear handle hole.

pePf1S3.jpg

I tightened it up enough to both support it and to allow me to level it before I marked the three holes with a Sharpie.

oRx7iiR.jpg

After removing the Sidekick, I used a center punch to mark the drilling spots in each circle

06Rldjp.jpg

KDSj48f.jpg

RMDxOLE.jpg

It just lines up perfectly around the support. That was nice. And yes, I did check to make sure it would before I drilled the holes ;)

Then it's just down to mounting it and bolting it together. It would probably be easier with two people, but it's very light and not that hard to do solo.

PSj2bkS.jpg

C6Ex0OA.jpg

yfKv1gR.jpg

s6fiieJ.jpg

EpjENA4.jpg

How did you decide on the height and depth placement?

View attachment 13442

69EZ1Fl.jpg

pePf1S3.jpg

oRx7iiR.jpg

06Rldjp.jpg

KDSj48f.jpg

RMDxOLE.jpg

PSj2bkS.jpg

C6Ex0OA.jpg

yfKv1gR.jpg

s6fiieJ.jpg

EpjENA4.jpg

Is there any interference between the 590 oil drain and the sidekick support bracket underneath. Photo #9 from the top looks like they might be touching, but its hard to tell.

Thanks for the post with pics. Look great and should add many additional cooking options for you (y)
I was hoping you were going to attach some type of platform for the propane tank so the tank doesn't sit on the decking surface. I have some ideas, so if I go with the sidekick, I'll post what I do for holding the propane tank, I have the comp cart so I'm sure it will hold the extra weight of the tank. I built a larger deck and move my grill to different locations depending on rain, wind direction etc... so having the tank ride with the grill would be optimal for my use.
View attachment 13520View attachment 13521
That looks amazing. What type of decking is that?

The sidekick came with a hook that mounts to the back of the CampChef smokers to hold a tank, and I’m wondering if the 590 would support one. Otherwise I would like to figure out some solution for holding the tank. Perhaps I can extend the bottom shelf somehow. I don’t know.

How did you decide on the height and depth placement?

1637273076952.jpeg

The sidekick has 4 mounting points. I used the hole for the handle for that far right hole and luckily everything just lined up perfectly. The bottom support just misses the grease drain.

That looks amazing. What type of decking is that?

The sidekick came with a hook that mounts to the back of the CampChef smokers to hold a tank, and I’m wondering if the 590 would support one. Otherwise I would like to figure out some solution for holding the tank. Perhaps I can extend the bottom shelf somehow. I don’t know.
Thanks, the decking is a natural wood called Ipe. I built it myself over 15 years ago, it has held up really well and it still look amazing. I recently made my front shelf from some scrap Ipe.

Oh, so there's a hook for the tank, I've always seen pics of the tank sitting on the ground under the sidekick. My plan is to make an extension that sticks out from the stock cart to hold the tank.

IMG_3472.JPG

View attachment 13522

The sidekick has 4 mounting points. I used the hole for the handle for that far right hole and luckily everything just lined up perfectly. The bottom support just misses the grease drain.
Did you screw the sidekick support legs into the 590 or just left them resting on the side of the 590? I see you have screws in the lower holes on the legs but it doesn’t look like they penetrate the side wall?

View attachment 13442

69EZ1Fl.jpg

pePf1S3.jpg

oRx7iiR.jpg

06Rldjp.jpg

KDSj48f.jpg

RMDxOLE.jpg

PSj2bkS.jpg

C6Ex0OA.jpg

yfKv1gR.jpg

s6fiieJ.jpg

EpjENA4.jpg

great work!

Thanks, the decking is a natural wood called Ipe. I built it myself over 15 years ago, it has held up really well and it still look amazing. I recently made my front shelf from some scrap Ipe.

Oh, so there's a hook for the tank, I've always seen pics of the tank sitting on the ground under the sidekick. My plan is to make an extension that sticks out from the stock cart to hold the tank.

View attachment 13525
The ipe looks fantastic and works great as the shelf!
Did you screw the sidekick support legs into the 590 or just left them resting on the side of the 590? I see you have screws in the lower holes on the legs but it doesn’t look like they penetrate the side wall?
Those are leveling screws and do not attach to anything. Not sure if they screw in to anything on the Camp Chef smokers or not.
great work!
Thanks!

View attachment 13525
Looks good. I replaced my former cedar decking with IPE as well. It's now about ten years old and holding up well against my big dogs. I also installed an under deck ceiling about five years ago where I can use my smokers without being out in the rain (or snow).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back