10 LB Pork Shoulder Timing Question

Tequila King

Ok, smoking a 10 LB'er on my RT-750 which runs hot (not sure if this is a common issue for other RT-750 owners.)

Guests coming around 2PM on Sunday, never done an overnight cook but may need to do one this time.

Issue I'm having is, even if I wait until 10PM Sat night to put it in at 225, I still would need to get up at around 5am to 6am to wrap it? I'd rather not have to do that.

Suggestions?

Ok, smoking a 10 LB'er on my RT-750 which runs hot (not sure if this is a common issue for other RT-750 owners.)

Guests coming around 2PM on Sunday, never done an overnight cook but may need to do one this time.

Issue I'm having is, even if I wait until 10PM Sat night to put it in at 225, I still would need to get up at around 5am to 6am to wrap it? I'd rather not have to do that.

Suggestions?
A lot of people don’t wrap at all. If you do not wrap, I would plan on it taking 17 hours or so, to be on the safe side. You can always let it rest for up to four hours or so, as well.

240F and smoke for about 6 to 7 hours, put in oven at 230 unwrapped and shut off oven and wrap when hits 195 internal. Let rest for as long as you need.......pull it and enjoy it. I would say that will be an approx cook of about 15 hours, but every cut of meat of same cut/poundage acts different.

Suggestions?
I usually do not wrap pork butts at all. I have done several overnight cooks and each one has come out juicy and pulled easily at an internal temp of around 200 - 203. If you want it done by 2pm the next day, I would put it on earlier than 10pm. Set it to 225 degrees and let it smoke overnight. If it is cooking too slow, bump up the temp in the morning. After the first few hours it isn't taking on any more smoke anyways.

There is no rule that it needs to be wrapped after 7 hours. If you like wrapping then wrap it whenever you wake up. As others have mentioned start earlier and let it rest longer and everything will turn out great.

I’ve never wrapped a butt, at 225 it take about 16-18, just to cook. Figuring it could sit for 3 or 4 I’d put it on more like 7 pm, but that’s on my 340 if it makes a difference to you. I too bump it up in the morning if needed.

the only 10 I’ve done went on at 9pm, it was done about 2pm but then it sat till 4.

I try to time it so they are done 2 or 3 hours early, just in case it takes longer then I guessed at. I’m rarely right on timing, sometimes early, sometimes late.

Last edited:
Cut into 2 smaller pieces an it will cook faster and it will have more surface are for bark and seasoning.

Do not wrap!! Absolutely unnecessary but people so it because they think they're supposed to wrap.

I'm on the pink paper side this year. Never used to wrap - had no complaints, just seems moister now.
Just wrap when you eventually get up - as someone else already said. It'll be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back