Brine AND Inject? (Pork Loin or Shoulder/Butt

SmokinBourbon

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I've always had great success with brining my pork loins and shoulder/butts. Considering doing a brine and injection on a loin.

I'm sure someone has done this, any input on the method? Does it end up too salty? Is it just fine? I want juicy loin for Christmas dinner but I certainly don't want a salty loin.

Thanks!

I always brine pork shoulders/butts. Depending on the desired outcome (pulled/chopped pork, carnitas, etc.) I may or may not inject pork shoulders/butts. Brining and injecting are a must for me and pork loins. They don’t have any true marbling and can go from great to dry in 5 degrees F. One exception is for my Char siu. I brine but don’t typically inject it because it will be cut into small pieces and further prepped with various juices and breadings. Just my opinions, enjoy your cook.

Many years ago, I had to feed close to 30 people for Christmas (which I will never do again). I bought a full pork crown rack roast (full bone in pork loin with Frenched bones) and brined in an ice chest for a day using the following brine recipe. I had to go to a restaurant supply place to find the biggest roasting pan I could fit in my oven. It was a long time ago before I knew about injecting and other mad scientist skills.

Take it for what it's worth, but I saved the recipe for another day as it didn't suck. That said, I haven't tried it since. I think I probably pirated it from somewhere and tweaked it, but I have no idea where I came up with this.

6 garlic cloves
½ sweet onion
1 C Cider vinegar
½ C kosher salt
½ C sugar
½ t red pepper
1 C water
1 beer
4 C ice
2 sprigs rosemary
1 t dry ginger
1 t dry thyme
2 T honey
1 t dry mustard

Thanks guys! My biggest concern is over salting the food because you can't go back. Brining as always been wonderful and added great moisture and depth, especially to the butts but it has been a long minute since I've done a loin. I think what I'll do is do the brine with the salt, and remove the salt from the injection. If anything I know the results from the brine will be good and by not added salt to the injection I won't be over salting. Might be my best bet. I hate having to experiment for an event but it is what it is. I'm also not going to bacon wrap this loin which is unusual for me but I don't want to deal with the hassle after already doing it at someone else's house. I'll have to trust my "training" and see what I make of it. Hopefully someone else brings a good backup!!!

As for cooking for 30 people ... man I gotta say that I love doing that. I couldn't do it all the time, certainly not for a job. But a few times a year I go for it.

Just brine if you must, don't inject as well. Personally, I have never felt the need to do either with pork, as my flavor profile from just the dry rub and the moisture of the meat is always amazing. I will brine "on occasion" a big turkey breast, otherwise I don't believe the lemon is worth the squeeze doing it with other meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back