Bull 0-400 Wings

Cordelia25

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Going to be doing wings for the 1st time on my Bull this Friday. What is this 0-400 method I keep hearing about. Pro’s, Con’s and tips appreciated

100°-450° is what I have been seeing that people are say that works. I have not personally done it yet. I did the 0°-400° and for my chicken legs they were not so crispy.

Not to split hairs but aren't you going to start from whatever ambient temp is?
Not exactly. Grill starts out being off = 0 and heats to 400. Put the wings on before starting grill. Just looking for pointers because I don’t want to keep opening the lid to keep checking

Not exactly. Grill starts out being off = 0 and heats to 400. Put the wings on before starting grill. Just looking for pointers because I don’t want to keep opening the lid to keep checking
Actually, @ol' stonebreaker has a point. The grill starts heating at the ambient temp of the grill, not at 0. So if you are firing up your grill in Fairbanks, AK in January (sub-zero) or in Phoenix, AZ in July (+100) there can be a huge difference in how long it will take the grill to go from start button on to 400*.

Actually, @ol' stonebreaker has a point. The grill starts heating at the ambient temp of the grill, not at 0. So if you are firing up your grill in Fairbanks, AK in January (sub-zero) or in Phoenix, AZ in July (+100) there can be a huge difference in how long it will take the grill to go from start button on to 400*.
So that would be no?

So that would be no?
No, just saying that 0-400 is situational. Someone posted here a week or two ago about 0-400, but the forum doesn’t accept that as a search term. The concept as I vaguely understand it is to put the wings on a cold grill, turn it on to 400*, flip the wings after 30 minutes, and cook them until ? (as I don’t know if that means) until the grill reaches 400* or until the wings are done. I’m just saying, as I expect that @ol' stonebreaker was alluding to, is that the time the wings are actually cooking on the grill at 0-400 can vary greatly depending on what the starting point is. I’m genuinely interested in learning more on how well it works.

here in maryland my wings on the 700 turn out best in the winter months, ie low humidity and lower inside pit temp. dew point plays a roll also - when cooking outdoors you should allways note your weather conditions. my 700 is on point with temps and right now at 59 deg 700 is not running i have 2 thermometers telling me that the pit temp is 68 deg. it has been under the cover and in the sun for most of the day.

most people don’t understand q. best day to do steaks on any type of grill would be in high humidity.
‘if your going to do wings in warmer weather you’ll need to dehydrate the wings, like over very hot coals and a pit that doesnt hold moisture well.

rectec products hold moister in cooking very well.

like i keep telling my kids the food is done when it’s done.

ive done wings in november @ 375 for 45 minutes and they where perfect crunch.
ive done wings in a warmer high humidity day in december at 375 for 50 minutes that where done but skin soggy.

that’s the challenges of smoking and q. it’s what makes it a fun drinking sport. if people want perfect crispy wings use a deep fryer. no matter how the skin turns out and the meat is cooked if you had a good recipe on the wings you would still lick your fingers and say to yourself i’ll try this next time!

it’s not the cooker it’s the cook.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve only tried wings during the colder months, and I preheat to 180 for smoke, then after putting in the wings, 235F, and after about 2hrs, crank it to 400 for about 35min and the crispiest wings I’ve ever had! Also important to pat down your wings dry with a paper towel before applying seasoning.

Attachments

• 20341B1E-B29C-431B-A93C-C8840062EBD1.jpeg
    20341B1E-B29C-431B-A93C-C8840062EBD1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
Yeah, I’ve only tried wings during the colder months, and I preheat to 180 for smoke, then after putting in the wings, 235F, and after about 2hrs, crank it to 400 for about 35min and the crispiest wings I’ve ever had! Also important to pat down your wings dry with a paper towel before applying seasoning.
Also warning to make sure you don’t start a grease fire and your drip pan or foil is clean!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back