Your thoughts about RTV High Temp Sealer VS. LavaLock Gasket Tape or similar?

Adding that extra stack was a smart thing to do as I'm sure it helped even out the grill temps.
My main reason for sealing the lid was simple & intended to help keep external staining to a minimum.
I can see that being a breathing problem with a large bodied single stack grill (especially at high temps) but probably not the 590 which has 3 exhaust ports as I suspect it keeps more accurate overall grill surface temps.
All we can hope for is a happy medium when it comes down to intake fan & air pressure rates thru the firebox & into the grill surface & smoke/heat exhaust stacks while trying to maintain fairly even temps for those long smokes.

I build high performance motorcycle engines & know from years of shop time with a flow bench that you can add all the camshaft lift, increase fuel etc. but correctly ported heads are the real icing on the cake that makes it all come together & perform on a dyno.
My point is, I'm sure somewhere along the way the engineers who designed RecTeq, Traeger, & all of the others have played around with intake & exhaust venting because anything can be improved on.
Sorry for the late reply, but my alert feature is not working. I agree 100 percent and will add, you also need a free flowing exhaust to get it all. And I think it looks cool.

@snailtrax i opened my vent up more because I wondered if it needed more air, now seeing your second stack is interesting 👍

“It’s a BULL thing”
if you are getting the results that you want that’s all that matters.
It does look cool. 😎
I was wondering this morning if anybody had add a 2nd smokestack.
Also if you could make them look like horns, it would be cooler!

FWIW - I was not able to reach ~500° with the seal on. It would stall at ~440° I propped the lid open ~1/4" and the temp climbed to 500 fairly quick. I took the seal off (glue still stuck on) this morning but have not tried it yet.

FWIW - I was not able to reach ~500° with the seal on. It would stall at ~440° I propped the lid open ~1/4" and the temp climbed to 500 fairly quick. I took the seal off (glue still stuck on) this morning but have not tried it yet.
You know, I never thought about the "air" when trying to achieve high temps.
Thank you (y)

You know, I never thought about the "air" when trying to achieve high temps.
Thank you (y)
The air from the fan supplies all the oxygen to the fire pot. These pellet grills are not designed and dependent on a specific level of lid gap to maintain high temps. Many of the higher-end grills, such as the top of the line Traeger and all the Memphis Grills models, come with a lid gasket.

Last edited:
I'll have to give mine another run since I sealed just for my own knowledge. The day I got it she hit 547 and I turned it down from there as it was still climbing. This was of course without the seal.

After my 1st extended cook it was apparent the seal would help.. I spent a bit of time cleaning it back up. Did not expect it to get like that so quick.

I'm not against having to clean it and the way it looked w/o seals but I just ask why not if it doesn't hurt anything else. I'll give it a test.

Have decided to buy the 700 & from the looks of it will have to play the long wait game for delivery, possibly into mid February ... bummer !
Called them yesterday & was told they consistently keep a small stock in the warehouse for immediate purchase of walk-in's but ordering online is "different".
Don't think I'll make that drive, it would be a 600 mile round trip to their showroom & back.

Purposely posting this here for intake from those who have sealed the lids for various reasons.
I've read several if not all of the excellent previous post about the subject but don't recall anyone using RTV high temp silicone for anything but adhesion for the optional vents on the Stampede 590.
Anyway, I've used high temp RTV over the years in my shop with total success in similar situations & it's easy to replace if ever damaged & wondered if anyone here has used it for sealing the lid instead of using the gasket tape material & if so how did it work out after some use?

The nice thing about RTV silicone (when applied correctly) is it conforms to both sides producing a molded type fit & will stay put unless it gets damaged by accidents.

Thanks
I installed, and love the Lava Lock gasket.

I put my LavaLock on the day I got The Bull.
1/4” thick on the top and bottom and 1/8” thick on the sides.
I was not sure I would until after I got it together and I stood it up and saw gaps on both sides and between the hinges.
I had LavaLock on my last two smokers and it worked great.
So I went ahead and put it on and very happy with results.

But I do have quite a bit of smoke loss around the Bull logo on the lid🤔

I put my LavaLock on the day I got The Bull.
1/4” thick on the top and bottom and 1/8” thick on the sides.
I was not sure I would until after I got it together and I stood it up and saw gaps on both sides and between the hinges.
I had LavaLock on my last two smokers and it worked great.
So I went ahead and put it on and very happy with results.

But I do have quite a bit of smoke loss around the Bull logo on the lid🤔
Taking the bull logo off and applying RTV there might eliminate/reduce that.

I haven't taken the logo off, so not really sure if it's just the screw holes there, or if there is a bigger hole. If it's just the screws...felt washers might take care of that, or a little lavalock with hole punched in it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back