Another outdoor kitchen thread....IDEAS? Thoughts?

spartanhuntr

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have reviewed a few of the outdoor kitchen threads already posted here but thought i would start a fresh one as I just wrote a check for $20k for my designer. It is something i have wanted for a really long time. We are rebuilding our deck (now called a terrace because of the design) and it is a BIG investment. We are blessed to be in a good financial position and initially planned to redo our deck "as is" as the 20 year old trex lumber started to separate and not hold screws/nails any more. Once we got in to it, we have turned it in to a rebuild that is more money than the first house I ever purchased. Ha.

I will have an outdoor kitchen. I will have a 14 foot section and an 8 foot section of counter space. Right now I am not planning to integrate my 700 in to the design. Although I might change my mind on this. Currently I am planning on Lynx equipment and this is what i am thinking:

Lynx 42 inch three trident burner gasser
Lynx 30 inch asad griddle
Lynx 30 inch pizza oven
Lynx power burner
An under counter fridge
A warming drawer
Double door access (under grill)
And a few drawers - seal tight under other appliances.

Any thoughts/reactions? advice? I did not do a sink. Running water to it I think will be a challenge AND if I do, i only think I can get cold. Although maybe an expert here can tell me how you get hot water to an outdoor kitchen without tearing up your house?

Any thoughts and/or helpful hints?

I have reviewed a few of the outdoor kitchen threads already posted here but thought i would start a fresh one as I just wrote a check for $20k for my designer. It is something i have wanted for a really long time. We are rebuilding our deck (now called a terrace because of the design) and it is a BIG investment. We are blessed to be in a good financial position and initially planned to redo our deck "as is" as the 20 year old trex lumber started to separate and not hold screws/nails any more. Once we got in to it, we have turned it in to a rebuild that is more money than the first house I ever purchased. Ha.

I will have an outdoor kitchen. I will have a 14 foot section and an 8 foot section of counter space. Right now I am not planning to integrate my 700 in to the design. Although I might change my mind on this. Currently I am planning on Lynx equipment and this is what i am thinking:

Lynx 42 inch three trident burner gasser
Lynx 30 inch asad griddle
Lynx 30 inch pizza oven
Lynx power burner
An under counter fridge
A warming drawer
Double door access (under grill)
And a few drawers - seal tight under other appliances.

Any thoughts/reactions? advice? I did not do a sink. Running water to it I think will be a challenge AND if I do, i only think I can get cold. Although maybe an expert here can tell me how you get hot water to an outdoor kitchen without tearing up your house?

Any thoughts and/or helpful hints?
Sounds like you’ve been thinking things through pretty well. The outdoor kitchen we had at our Montana place (sold it last year) included a sink with hot water and I wouldn’t be without one. If you have electricity to your outdoor kitchen (and, I wouldn’t be without that either), an on-demand water heater will solve the hot water problem. Of course, you would need a water supply.

Lynx is good stuff and you’ll be doing top-of-the-line with it. Good choice.

Good luck with your project; I’m envious.

I can't speak to the rest of your design, but when times were better and I had a meager outdoor kitchen, I used one of these for hot/cold filtered water.

Insinkerator Hot/Cold

I 100% believe in my Lynx Pro 36” with stand. I have the 3 Trident burners but also sprung for 2 additional standard burners for low and slow cooking (the lowest I could get the tridents was around 300F (single on only). I also have the side burner that helps quite a bit when I need more capacity. The reason I didn’t want an outdoor kitchen (ODK) design was all the homes I have seen personally or via friends that are firefighters that caught fire without an adequate air gap between the ODKs and the side of their homes. Any grill manufacturer will tell you the distance around all sides of the apparatus they sell, yet these designers will purposely lead you down the path of thinking it can be connected to your house for convenience. What a mistake and don’t be fooled! Unless you want to spend the extra money for a fully automated fire extinguishing system, you may be in for the surprise of your life when you come outside one day and see the picture I attached. It was from my neighbor and his ODK design cost him a lot more than you are paying (~$100K). Think about the logic. You are putting a Lynx with that is capable of reaching 1100F in 8 minutes and the manual tells you not to do this with the lid closed, yet most people put it within 16 inches of the frame of their house. Not smart. If there is one thing I would suggest it would be to consider a stand-alone setup in a safe area that is not adjacent to any structure or overhang so you can do overnight cooks safely.

One additional consideration is to remember smoke loves to travel. If you plan on using a smoker or using smoke tubes, it can permeate every crack and crevice. As such, you may find on a great summer day with the windows open in your house it collects the smoke and turns you place into a BBQ joint, lol.

Sorry to taking some of the air out of your balloon but safety is the first consideration in any design.

IMG_3843.jpeg

I used to design and build outdoor kitchens and for the hot water issue, I would use an electric tankless water heater, you can get a good one for about $300.00.

I think you're on the right track with everything except sink/water. Trust me, you'll wish it was there, and it is much easier now than later. A little "insta-hot" in 120v is cheap and will give you all the hot water you can use (and can be put in later) if you decide you need hot water. Just put an outlet with GFCI under the counter. You're going to love your new kitchen. I use our almost every day.
Please post pictures of the progress as it happens.

If you are doing propane for the gasser I would highly recommend getting a pull-out tank drawer. Also as mentioned be sure to have GFCI electrical and lighting. I wish I had put a plug on the outside of my kitchen for the RT-700, as it is now, I roll it to the end and use and extension cord to reach between the grills. Also, have all equipment and accessories onsite BEFORE they start building the kitchen, size does matter!
outdoor grill.jpg

I think you're on the right track with everything except sink/water. Trust me, you'll wish it was there, and it is much easier now than later. A little "insta-hot" in 120v is cheap and will give you all the hot water you can use (and can be put in later) if you decide you need hot water. Just put an outlet with GFCI under the counter. You're going to love your new kitchen. I use our almost every day.
Please post pictures of the progress as it happens.
My dad was a builder and said thing like this and lighting are Pennies on the dollar during build compared to post build.

If you are doing propane for the gasser I would highly recommend getting a pull-out tank drawer. Also as mentioned be sure to have GFCI electrical and lighting. I wish I had put a plug on the outside of my kitchen for the RT-700, as it is now, I roll it to the end and use and extension cord to reach between the grills. Also, have all equipment and accessories onsite BEFORE they start building the kitchen, size does matter!View attachment 19370
Great looking setup!!

@Poppa G what's the grill on the left with the lid I wish my RT had? It's not so much the smoke getting out - it's the rain getting in that bugs me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back