Any Thoughts/Experiences With the Chef IQ Three Probe Thermometer?

JamesB

I’m considering ordering the Chef IQ three-probe, blue tooth meat thermometer, but before I spend $150.00 I think it’s a good idea to ask if anyone here has one, or has had any good or bad experiences with it.

Any thoughts /comments will be app,

I’m considering ordering the Chef IQ three-probe, blue tooth meat thermometer, but before I spend $150.00 I think it’s a good idea to ask if anyone here has one, or has had any good or bad experiences with it.

Any thoughts /comments will be app,
This is not a paid endorsement. Neither can I attest that your results will not vary from mine. I did not receive any compensation for the following information (but if you’re looking Chef IQ or Meater, I’m available for Beta Testing) LOL.

I am somewhat familiar with it. I played with the 2-probe version that was at Costco for $99 for several months and was so satisfied versus my Meater experiences, that I purchased 4 more for Christmas gifts for friends. Their base unit acts as a signal amplifier/access point and issues audible voice notifications. It connected almost instantly with my WiFi and has been used for many cooks and their iOS app is very user friendly and includes numerous pre-programmed cooks if you choose to automate your monitoring. Should the signal drop out for any reason (I was giving it the range/distance test) you are able to recover your current cook data and proceed although I don’t know what the timeout value is set to for communications interruptions. I unfortunately have not given it the torture test for battery life on a long cook but so far I have gotten around 9 hours out of a single charge on their probes and you can use house/shore power/battery pack to keep the base alive while in use. I was also impressed that I had fewer drop-outs during several rotisserie cooks of chickens in my Lynx Pro gasser that is a Faraday cage for the Meater unit I own. (The Meater would drop out constantly and their tech department could not get it diagnosed. I realize my grill is pretty thick 304SS but that doesn’t seem to bother the Chef IQ’s performance. Another positive about the Chef IQ is that it is rated for around 550F which is perfect for high temp work and searing. The Meater is only for use under ~350. The Chef IQ probes can also be fully submerged in liquids versus the Meater that can only be partially submerged. Try telling that to someone that accidently drops a Meater probe into the kitchen sink during clean up how fun it is to buy an additional probe (don’t ask me how I know). On the positive side, Meater’s tech support was very responsive to my questions/concerns on range and signal strength but could not offer a solution over a 4 month period of email exchanges. In summary, the value, utility, packaging (including full app support and voice commands issued by the base unit) make this a “buy and try” item from my perspective. If possible see if Costco is still selling them as you can get two 2-probe kits for a little more than the 3 probe set from Amazon. YMMV.

Edit: Here is the Costco Link:
https://www.costco.com/chef-iq-smart-thermometer-and-hub,-2-probe-set.product.4000227273.html

Last edited:
Jim6820,

I hope you and the family are feeling better . Thanks for the feedback. I cleaned up a couple of typos. I have to stop posting before I actually wake up.
Thanks, @SmokeZilla, we are doing much better, though the wife has some surgery coming up tomorrow. Life doesn’t get easier as we get older. ;)

As someone that is in the “older” crowd demographic, you are correct. The better news is that the older we get, the more stubborn we become. This can be a senior citizens secret super power when wielded correctly, lol. God bless!

This is not a paid endorsement. Neither can I attest that your results will not vary from mine. I did not receive any compensation for the following information (but if you’re looking Chef IQ or Meater, I’m available for Beta Testing) LOL.

I am somewhat familiar with it. I played with the 2-probe version that was at Costco for $99 for several months and was so satisfied versus my Meater experiences, that I purchased 4 more for Christmas gifts for friends. Their base unit acts as a signal amplifier/access point and issues audible voice notifications. It connected almost instantly with my WiFi and has been used for many cooks and their iOS app is very user friendly and includes numerous pre-programmed cooks if you choose to automate your monitoring. Should the signal drop out for any reason (I was giving it the range/distance test) you are able to recover your current cook data and proceed although I don’t know what the timeout value is set to for communications interruptions. I unfortunately have not given it the torture test for battery life on a long cook but so far I have gotten around 9 hours out of a single charge on their probes and you can use house/shore power/battery pack to keep the base alive while in use. I was also impressed that I had fewer drop-outs during several rotisserie cooks of chickens in my Lynx Pro gasser that is a Faraday cage for the Meater unit I own. (The Meater would drop out constantly and their tech department could not get it diagnosed. I realize my grill is pretty thick 304SS but that doesn’t seem to bother the Chef IQ’s performance. Another positive about the Chef IQ is that it is rated for around 550F which is perfect for high temp work and searing. The Meater is only for use under ~350. The Chef IQ probes can also be fully submerged in liquids versus the Meater that can only be partially submerged. Try telling that to someone that accidently drops a Meater probe into the kitchen sink during clean up how fun it is to buy an additional probe (don’t ask me how I know). On the positive side, Meater’s tech support was very responsive to my questions/concerns on range and signal strength but could not offer a solution over a 4 month period of email exchanges. In summary, the value, utility, packaging (including full app support and voice commands issued by the base unit) make this a “buy and try” item from my perspective. If possible see if Costco is still selling them as you can get two 2-probe kits for a little more than the 3 probe set from Amazon. YMMV.

Edit: Here is the Costco Link:
https://www.costco.com/chef-iq-smart-thermometer-and-hub,-2-probe-set.product.4000227273.html
Thank you for that very detailed and informative comment. You also hit on one of my concerns about a “faraday cage” effect given all of the stainless steel in my 700.

I think I’m going to go with the three probe version because the third probe will allow me to monitor the internal temperature of my rt-700 along with the meat.

Thanks again.

Thank you for that very detailed and informative comment. You also hit on one of my concerns about a “faraday cage” effect given all of the stainless steel in my 700.

I think I’m going to go with the three probe version because the third probe will allow me to monitor the internal temperature of my rt-700 along with the meat.

Thanks again.
No problem. I hope your experiences are as positive as mine have been. Regarding the RT700 (which I also own), I haven’t had a problem with a disconnect as long at the base is within 20 feet of the probes and you have a strong, clean, WiFi signal. As a reference point, I also have CLOV (clear line of view) for my Bull and the Chef iQ probes although I have also had success with the app running on my phone/ipad in the house and everything else outside. You may also want to check YouTube to familiarize yourself with their App, which I really enjoy. I can only vouch for the iOS version but it is hands down above RT’s native app and is superior to Meater’s, but falls somewhat short of the higher end wired devices I own such as my Thermoworks Signal and Smoke units’ capability. YMMV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back