Would you pay $40 lb for local fresh prime ribeye?

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So we have a new Italian market opening up the road. They posted this pic on their FP page and the price is $38.99 lb for Prime Ribeye.

My question is.. would you pay this kind of $$ based on the grade and looks? It's about double what I think (or really want to pay) it should be but a local market like this I would support if it is really worth it.

Not sure how much the fresh sausage is. Have to take a ride up the road when I have a minute. They are in a soft opening right now but seems stocked from the pics I have seen.

Ribeye.jpeg

I’d have a tough time justifying it. But, I am pretty cheap. :) I am sure they taste better than than the ones I get at Kroger or Publix for under $10 /lb on sale.

I used to get ones like that from a butcher shop in Hawkinsville, GA. During Covid they had gotten up to the low 20’s /lb. We moved farther away and I haven’t gotten down there for a couple of years now; in part because I have been too scared to see the prices!

At face value, I'd say no, but then again if they were nicely marbled, super thick, and drop dead gorgeous, I might bite. I bought some cowboy steaks a while back in that price range and they were the best steaks I've ever had. I sort of justified mine by trying to figure what I'd pay for the same at an overpriced premium steakhouse.

Definitely not a regular purchase though. Special occasion meat.

I’d have a tough time justifying it. But, I am pretty cheap. :) I am sure they taste better than than the ones I get at Kroger or Publix for under $10 /lb on sale.

I used to get ones like that from a butcher shop in Hawkinsville, GA. During Covid they had gotten up to the low 20’s /lb. We moved farther away and I haven’t gotten down there for a couple of years now; in part because I have been too scared to see the prices!

Yeah.. I’m struggling with it myself. The nice thing is they are open on Sundays where the other butcher in town is closed and the local supermarket I won’t buy meats from anymore.

So they just might get me one day if I hit the lotto lol :).

At face value, I'd say no, but then again if they were nicely marbled, super thick, and drop dead gorgeous, I might bite. I bought some cowboy steaks a while back in that price range and they were the best steaks I've ever had. I sort of justified mine by trying to figure what I'd pay for the same at an overpriced premium steakhouse.

Definitely not a regular purchase though. Special occasion meat.

They seem marbeled but I’m trying to see if they are $40lb marbled lol.

Likely what you think as well.. maybe for a special occasion :).

I do like to support locals as they never seem to make it. You have to be good in my town for anything to survive.

Last edited:
Well, just going by the photo that was posted, I don’t see the kind of marbling I would expect in a $40/lb piece of meat.

That is what my initial thought was also.. Might need to see in person if it really looks better or if it seems marginal. I just have a hard time unless it is really that special of a cut.

There are other things I see they have that will get me there such as a French dip sandwich. Wife loves them so we'll have to try that at least.

Chatel Farms, which supplies recteq Academy, has prime ribeye at 45.99 and American Wagyu ribeye at 55.99.

I’d check out the ones next to them, look to be prime NY’s. Fwiw, I can get great NY prime for $26 a lb. For me there is too much waste in a rib eye.

I'll get up there and find out! Their grand opening is the 19th.

I’d be more interested in their sausage, homemade from an Italian market, than I would be for $40/# ribeyes. It is nice to have those options though. I shop for groceries in the 6th largest city in Kentucky (Richmond), but I have to drive to Lexington to find meat choices like that.

So we have a new Italian market opening up the road. They posted this pic on their FP page and the price is $38.99 lb for Prime Ribeye.

My question is.. would you pay this kind of $$ based on the grade and looks? It's about double what I think (or really want to pay) it should be but a local market like this I would support if it is really worth it.

Not sure how much the fresh sausage is. Have to take a ride up the road when I have a minute. They are in a soft opening right now but seems stocked from the pics I have seen.

View attachment 17994
No!

Well it seems unanimous these prices are a bit extreme to be polite :).. It makes me want to try to just to see if I’m missing something lol.

I wonder where the OLD ribeyes go when few-to-no people buy them? Sausage or burgers (?), those may end up being pretty pricy as well. I hope you can find something reasonable to help support the business without feeling like you're getting gouged.

I wonder where the OLD ribeyes go when few-to-no people buy them? Sausage or burgers (?), those may end up being pretty pricy as well. I hope you can find something reasonable to help support the business without feeling like you're getting gouged.

Was wondering the same.. I mean they can’t be flying off the shelf at that price. Maybe I need to dumpster dive the evenings lol.

I can get prime ribeye at Costco for $15.99. You would think that at $38.99 he would at least trim them tight and string tie the results. What price on the strips next to the ribeyes?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back