Bull Wood in the Bull?

Stratmeister

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I thought that might get some attention, lol...

so here’s my predicament, I love jerk chicken and pork. If you know jerk cooking you NEED pimento wood. It is very unique in the flavor it creates.

I usually use a kettle but now I have a 700 so I’m thinking, can I do my jerk in the Bull? Here’s what I mean. I have pimento wood, sticks like 1” diameter and 12-18” long. I also have some chips, and some chunks.

they don’t make pimento pellets unfortunately and when they did they were stupid expensive. So is there a way to use wood sticks, chips or chunks in the Bull to get the flavor I want? Like chips in a foil boat on the diffuser or something?

anybody tried something like this? Slow smolder will do, don’t need a real burn. I can always use my kettle but hey, I’ve got a Bull now..

You could put Pimento chips into a smoke tube. I haven’t had the best luck with chips alone in the smoke tube so would suggest you mix the Pimento chips with pellets.

I have put wood on top of the heat diffuser with ok results. You either need to run the grill up to a hot temp to get the wood to lite off or use a torch to get it burning. I now just use a cheap smoke tube with the same results.

Serious eats has an article were they use a bed of bay leaves instead of pimento wood. Supposed to be very close.
I’ll have to try to find that. But, I do have pimento leaves and put them in a water pan with Allspice berries to supplement the wood smoke.

so I think we’re homing in on my technique for my first try. Thanks.

Your foil boat idea could work and be effective, just need you to break down the sticks to chips that ignite more readily. There are also a number of stainless or iron boxes that are used for smoke supplementing. Then there is a device directed at the pellet cooker world called a Smoke Daddy Heavy D, seen here. There are two chambers built into the diffuser housing for the wood chunks. Some love it, some don't.

Your foil boat idea could work and be effective, just need you to break down the sticks to chips that ignite more readily. There are also a number of stainless or iron boxes that are used for smoke supplementing. Then there is a device directed at the pellet cooker world called a Smoke Daddy Heavy D, seen here. There are two chambers built into the diffuser housing for the wood chunks. Some love it, some don't.
Never heard of that before, thanks.

True Jamaican jerk is cooked using a bed of coals and then Pimento logs on top, no grill. Jerked chicken and pork are put right on top of the logs. The logs steam when they heat up and infuse the smoke flavor directly into the meat. So tasty.

Pimento pellets are available at pimentowood.com (along with everything Jerk) but they are expensive. I've done pork and (skinless) chicken using these pellets starting off on LO for a couple of hours and finishing at 225 with good results. I used to make my own jerk marinade but the Walkerswood is very good and available at most good grocery stores. Start off with the mild first before you go spicy and marinade over night. Smoke and then serve with rice and beans and a rum punch!

If you happen to be in Jamaica near Montego Bay, skip the tourist jerk places near town. There is a great place called Border Jerk about 30 minutes out in the hills. That's the jerk flavor profile I strive for. Try their chickenfoot soup.

True Jamaican jerk is cooked using a bed of coals and then Pimento logs on top, no grill. Jerked chicken and pork are put right on top of the logs. The logs steam when they heat up and infuse the smoke flavor directly into the meat. So tasty.

Pimento pellets are available at pimentowood.com (along with everything Jerk) but they are expensive. I've done pork and (skinless) chicken using these pellets starting off on LO for a couple of hours and finishing at 225 with good results. I used to make my own jerk marinade but the Walkerswood is very good and available at most good grocery stores. Start off with the mild first before you go spicy and marinade over night. Smoke and then serve with rice and beans and a rum punch!

If you happen to be in Jamaica near Montego Bay, skip the tourist jerk places near town. There is a great place called Border Jerk about 30 minutes out in the hills. That's the jerk flavor profile I strive for. Try their chickenfoot soup.
Yeah, but actually no. And you probably don’t want to challenge me on this. I’ve lived in the Caribbean for almost 50 years now.

the whole “on the coals” thing is a tourist job, yes they did it 200 years ago. But today’s roadside jerk spots use big tin and concrete block grills. Rasta mon may be doing it at home in the hills but...

yes putting the chicken on the pimento sticks was done, but in the bigger pits they don’t do that anymore. Steaming pimento is awesome, but deforestation is a big problem. I occasionally put a spatchcocked bird on sticks but that’s a special occasion.

I have dealt with pimentowood.com for many years. Many. They can’t produce product and haven’t for 5 years. Pellets will probably never happen again. Sticks may not either. If you have those $60+ pellets go sparingly, it’s probably your last bag.

if if you know jerk, Walkerswood is decent but a far distant follower to Spur Tree. If use Busha Brown’s before that. Try Spur Tree if you can get it. You can thank me later.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, but I got this. Along with a years supply of pimento branches, chunks, and chips. I just want to know if I can produce smoke on the Bull from real wood. 🤙🏼

Yeah, but actually no. And you probably don’t want to challenge me on this. I’ve lived in the Caribbean for almost 50 years now.

the whole “on the coals” thing is a tourist job, yes they did it 200 years ago. But today’s roadside jerk spots use big tin and concrete block grills. Rasta mon may be doing it at home in the hills but...

yes putting the chicken on the pimento sticks was done, but in the bigger pits they don’t do that anymore. Steaming pimento is awesome, but deforestation is a big problem. I occasionally put a spatchcocked bird on sticks but that’s a special occasion.

I have dealt with pimentowood.com for many years. Many. They can’t produce product and haven’t for 5 years. Pellets will probably never happen again. Sticks may not either. If you have those $60+ pellets go sparingly, it’s probably your last bag.

if if you know jerk, Walkerswood is decent but a far distant follower to Spur Tree. If use Busha Brown’s before that. Try Spur Tree if you can get it. You can thank me later.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, but I got this. Along with a years supply of pimento branches, chunks, and chips. I just want to know if I can produce smoke on the Bull from real wood. 🤙🏼
Thanks for replying.

I just ordered a bag of pimento pellets last week and they arrived. God awful expensive, but they arrived.

I'll give the Spur tree a try!

Thanks for replying.

I just ordered a bag of pimento pellets last week and they arrived. God awful expensive, but they arrived.

I'll give the Spur tree a try!
Just got my notification that they have 20+ bags of pellets in stock. Pimento/oak mix. $65 for 20 lb bag plus $22 shipping to me. Ouch...

I have never used one but isn't there severl gadgets made to supplement smoke in pellet smokers, various tubes and such?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back