Bull Won’t get up to temp!!

Did you check the RTD probe in the cook chamber? It should be straight up. Sometimes they get bent and it messes with the temp reading.

Did you check the RTD probe in the cook chamber? It should be straight up. Sometimes they get bent and it messes with the temp reading.
Ahhh, I just checked and the rtd probe, and it was strait, but touching the side of the smoker! If the probe is conducting the temp from the steel it may have caused the temp to show low. Great point! Thanks Waterboy! I bent it away from the wall and will see if that does it.

If you had significant wind with a 20F temperature, a lot of heat can be lost. Wind blowing across the grill will rob a significant amount of heat. That’s where a welding blanket would help.

I can’t help but believe, however, that something is not right. You really need to contact Recteq tech support with this issue.

If you had significant wind with a 20F temperature, a lot of heat can be lost. Wind blowing across the grill will rob a significant amount of heat. That’s where a welding blanket would help.

I can’t help but believe, however, that something is not right. You really need to contact Recteq tech support with this issue.
Thanks, I’m going to see if the probe position (not being bent) corrects the problem if not I’ll get ahold of them. Thanks again

Help! Just got my grill, planned to cure the grill and my smoker won’t get to 400! Stuck at 325. It’s about 20 degrees here, no wind. This is a problem right? Super frustrated! Help!
Take the pan and heat diffuser out, run auger in test to see if pellets are being delivered smoothly, I read that you have checked operation of the fan.

20 degrees with no wind isn’t so bad. I ran mine yesterday in 8 degree weather 10-15 mph wind at 225F for 1 hr. then 350F for 1 hr. with no issues.

Try talking to customer service. If you call in the morning or midday, you are more likely to get in touch with someone. Could be several things - the feed rate could be too high (smothering fire) or too low (not enough fuel to reach and maintain temp). Mine took about an hour to hit 400 the other day (20 degrees here) but once it got there it maintained temp. Also, check your firepot - are you seeing unburned pellets or clinkers (hard rock-like deposits of unburned fuel?

I had an issue with my igniter not long ago. I disconnected the igniter rod (red and white wire connector) and lit the pot of pellets manually. Reached temp much faster. That would tell you if it is an igniter issue. The one on my RT-700 is bad, they are sending me a new one.

Finally, my RT-700 seems much pickier with regards to pellets - size and quality - than my old Traeger.

Make sure you are using good-quality pellets and drop the bag on the ground a few times (like breaking up a bag of ice) to ensure the pellets aren't too long. They should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length. Too long and they can mess with the auger feed.

These grills turn out some great food but, in my personal experience, they require a lot more "care and feeding" than my old Traeger.

Try talking to customer service. If you call in the morning or midday, you are more likely to get in touch with someone. Could be several things - the feed rate could be too high (smothering fire) or too low (not enough fuel to reach and maintain temp). Mine took about an hour to hit 400 the other day (20 degrees here) but once it got there it maintained temp. Also, check your firepot - are you seeing unburned pellets or clinkers (hard rock-like deposits of unburned fuel?

I had an issue with my igniter not long ago. I disconnected the igniter rod (red and white wire connector) and lit the pot of pellets manually. Reached temp much faster. That would tell you if it is an igniter issue. The one on my RT-700 is bad, they are sending me a new one.

Finally, my RT-700 seems much pickier with regards to pellets - size and quality - than my old Traeger.

Make sure you are using good-quality pellets and drop the bag on the ground a few times (like breaking up a bag of ice) to ensure the pellets aren't too long. They should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length. Too long and they can mess with the auger feed.

These grills turn out some great food but, in my personal experience, they require a lot more "care and feeding" than my old Traeger.
The igniter is only used for ignition for a specific amount of time.

Thanks Waterboy! I adjusted the rtd probe, and it’s reading true now. The probe during shipping or assembly must have gotten bent and was touching the sidewall of the smoker. Obviously showing the temp of the steel wall that had cold wind blowing on it. This morning when I fired it up, got up to temp very quickly! Cooking some chicken thighs now! Can’t wait!

Thanks Waterboy! I adjusted the rtd probe, and it’s reading true now. The probe during shipping or assembly must have gotten bent and was touching the sidewall of the smoker. Obviously showing the temp of the steel wall that had cold wind blowing on it. This morning when I fired it up, got up to temp very quickly! Cooking some chicken thighs now! Can’t wait!
Glad it turned out to be a simple fix. Let us know how your chicken thighs turned out. That’s one of our favorites and they are pretty hard to mess up.

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix. Let us know how your chicken thighs turned out. That’s one of our favorites and they are pretty hard to mess up.
Wow! They were amazing!! Especially the ones with the BBQ chipotle dry rub. Unbelievable how juicy and full of flavor. Can’t wait to do pork loin next!

Not to get off topic, but since it came up… be aware that if the welding blanket covers the horns they will get very hot. Enough to burn your hands. Have a hot pad or bbq glove handy. I cut holes in my blanket for the horns.
Good point!

Take a look at this video. This was my RT700 last Sunday starting to heat to 400. This what you should be seeing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back