Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
So last night we had some really high wind come through, gusting to 58 MPH. That was a bit much for the RT-340, and it blew over on the face side. I got it upright and then inspected for damage. The lid is destroyed, snapping off the Bull medallion and the inside cover of the lid. I can’t imagine I can straighten that so that it seals well. Now we’ll see what recteq support has to say. 🤞🏻
753E3193-1351-4278-B349-F3DB7F68D43D.jpeg

So last night we had some really high wind come through, gusting to 58 MPH. That was a bit much for the RT-340, and it blew over on the face side. I got it upright and then inspected for damage. The lid is destroyed, snapping off the Bull medallion and the inside cover of the lid. I can’t imagine I can straighten that so that it seals well. Now we’ll see what recteq support has to say. 🤞🏻View attachment 14970
Let us know. The old RT would definitely take care of you, not sure about the new RT :unsure:

Let us know. The old RT would definitely take care of you, not sure about the new RT :unsure:
That’s what I’m thinking as well. I emailed the support rep that has helped me so well in the past, but I haven’t needed him in over a year now so I don even know if he still works there. We’ll see.

Wow.. would not have thought that could have blown over like that and cause that kind of damage.

Gusts are pretty strong here on the NJ coast. Did not get much rest last night. Whole house moves.. I'm raised about 15ft. from ground level with a 2 story home. Everything is creaking.

Good luck with RT

Wow.. would not have thought that could have blown over like that and cause that kind of damage.
The curious part is that the wind was out of the SW and that grill faces the south. I don’t understand how it could happen, unless the wind bounced it off the deck rail. The Bullseye beside it and the Matador across from it were not moved at all.

I got an undeliverable email from recteq, so my guy must no longer work there. I sent the message and the images through their web page, so hoping for the best.

Sorry to hear about the damage, but it can be fixed. Here’s a link to a fairly inexpensive replacement lid if Recteq doesn’t step up:

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...d-insulation-for-rec-tec-rt-340-pellet-grills

The RT-340 is fairly light, so can be moved by the wind. The area where we live experiences high wings (70+ mph) several times a year and is one reason why I did the wheel mod on our RT-340 so that it can easily be moved to the garage.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/trailblazer-wheel-mod.209/#post-62094

If I do leave it out on the patio, I snug it up against our much heavier gas grill with a bungie cord to prevent tipping. Looks like you have a nice, sturdy railing that would work well for securing it.

Good luck.

I was planning to grill on my 340 at the airport with my buddies last night, but the wind was too strong and I didn't trust that it would stay upright. We decided to go out for burgers instead and save the chicken for another day. After seeing this, I guess we made the right decision!

Sorry to hear about the damage, but it can be fixed. Here’s a link to a fairly inexpensive replacement lid if Recteq doesn’t step up:

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...d-insulation-for-rec-tec-rt-340-pellet-grills

The RT-340 is fairly light, so can be moved by the wind. The area where we live experiences high wings (70+ mph) several times a year and is one reason why I did the wheel mod on our RT-340 so that it can easily be moved to the garage.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/trailblazer-wheel-mod.209/#post-62094

If I do leave it out on the patio, I snug it up against our much heavier gas grill with a bungie cord to prevent tipping. Looks like you have a nice, sturdy railing that would work well for securing it.

Good luck.
Looks like a link for lid insulation.

Aw man I hate to see that. We had strong winds up here in Lexington as well, but luckily only a bunch of sticks to go pick up in the back yard.
I have to drive through an older neighborhood to reach mine, and the developer had planted Bradford Pear trees in every yard. They are a worthless tree with no strength. Those folks have more than a few sticks in their yards today!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back