Bull Why Should I Name My Meat Probes?

JamesB

I noticed with the most recent software update for my Rec-Teq app on my phone, that I now have the option of naming both meat probes. I can’t figure out why I would want to do that. I have an odd sense of humor so , I just named one of them “Bob” and the other “Not Bob”.

Am I missing something by not taking that option seriously?

I noticed with the most recent software update for my Rec-Teq app on my phone, that I now have the option of naming both meat probes. I can’t figure out why I would want to do that. I have an odd sense of humor so , I just named one of them “Bob” and the other “Not Bob”.

The choices will greatly influence the outcome of your cooks. The same is true when you name your smokers. My 700 is Fat Bastard. The 380X is Mini Me. I'm polling our kids for probe names.

Shocked that Crypt Keeper has not responded ITT....
The name of the probe is based on placement.
1681120257649.png

Haven’t used this feature yet, but is it possible that naming the probes is only for the current session? So if you are cooking a brisket and change the probe names to ‘point’ and ‘flat’, that is what is fixed in the cook history? Change the names to ‘whatever’ in the next cook.

On my Thermoworks Signals, I regularly name where the probes are located just as you state @Greg Jones. I assume it would be the same if I used the factory probes.

That said, my grill has always had a boring name as well. I'm just not that creative.
I too thought that was how the Signals worked, but I haven’t played with that feature enough to remember for certain.

Haven’t used this feature yet, but is it possible that naming the probes is only for the current session? So if you are cooking a brisket and change the probe names to ‘point’ and ‘flat’, that is what is fixed in the cook history? Change the names to ‘whatever’ in the next cook.

That is exactly what that feature is for. I actually used it last week when I had chicken thighs and ribeye in at the same time.

I used this this past weekend. I named one brisket and the other pork butt. If I am cooking something different, I will rename it at that time. One thing I did notice is that the probes were way off after the last software update. I had to recalibrate them.

The only reason I can think of is if you’re doing a brisket and had one probe in the point and one in the flat. May be helpful if you’re 3 beers into to a smoke.😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back