Bull Whole Turkey

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New Bull owner here. Getting geared up for Thanksgiving. Going to try to smoke a whole turkey. My question, after watching numerous videos, is it as simple as brine, inject, season and smoke at 350 for :15 mins per lb until breasts are 165?

There are some many videos. Do I have to / should I spatch instead of just throwing it on whole?

I'm trying to make this as simple as possible without getting all caught up in ancillary details that don't matter.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Never done a turkey but plenty of chickens. I do brine, inject, rub and smoke as you stated, but I smoke at a lower temp (225-275) and then crank the heat up to 400 once IT hits 130-140. Cooking at 350 on the bull will not produce much smoke, so in an effort to get good smoke I would start lower if that is your intended flavor profile (or include some smoke tubes). I prefer to spatch or go the beer can chicken route. I think those methods yield a more even cook in terms of white vs dark meat but those are just my 2 cents!

Have done it before.. think of it as your oven. You can prepare any way you wish being inject, brine, etc. We always just did it whole in a pan just like an oven but may try spatch at some point. As above mentions 350 will not give a lot of smoke so either start lower or try a smoke tube if that is your desire. Has not disappointed yet.

Recommend brine and spatched.. So much easier. I keep dark meet to the right on my 590 as that runs a bit warmer. Don't care what ya do but I have " never " been able to get the skin crispy enough to make it edible, chickens or turkeys. No matter, not good for you anyhow. Good luck !

Recommend brine and spatched.. So much easier. I keep dark meet to the right on my 590 as that runs a bit warmer. Don't care what ya do but I have " never " been able to get the skin crispy enough to make it edible, chickens or turkeys. No matter, not good for you anyhow. Good luck !

After brining and patting dry.....Do you put it in the fridge for a few hours? I haven't had any issues with rubbery skin, but I always air dry the chicken/turkey in the fridge for 12-24 hours before putting it on the smoker.

After brining and patting dry.....Do you put it in the fridge for a few hours? I haven't had any issues with rubbery skin, but I always air dry the chicken/turkey in the fridge for 12-24 hours before putting it on the smoker.
Is the bird completely uncovered while in the fridge?
I’m dying to try out a turkey on my rotisserie and 700.
Will be following this thread for sure.

Is the bird completely uncovered while in the fridge?
I’m dying to try out a turkey on my rotisserie and 700.
Will be following this thread for sure.
Yes.

This has always worked for us:

MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Whole Turkey2754.5 - 5 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour

T-day 2020 Turket on theBull.jpeg

July 5th Turkey 1.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back