Bull Where is the heat? Top or grate level?

Chillstone

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
When cooking a brisket in my offset stick burner I cook “fat side up” because the temp is higher at the top of my smoke chamber than at grate level. I want the fat side as a barrier from the higher heat. I don’t believe that exterior fat permeates the interior of the meat but can act as a “shield”. Does anyone know where the higher heat is on a Bull? On my offset I found out the hard way (ruining good cuts of meat) and by listening to Aaron Franklin. On my bull I thought about setting one probe in the middle of the grate at grate level. For my second probe I thought about running it through the gap between the cook chamber and the main lid. I would then close the lid so that it pinched the wire causing the probe to hang about 6” above the first probe. Hopefully this would tell me if the temp is higher at grate level or above grate level. Any thoughts? Also, is there a hotter side (left or right)? That would tell me which way to aim my brisket point?

I ordered my Bull on 1/25 and it’s supposed to be here tomorrow (2/4)! Whoohoo!!

Probes can be damaged if the wire is pinched.
On mine the back is hotter than the front. Can't side to side yet.
The pellets burn in the middle but the exhaust is on the right side.
Maybe you can stack up some fire bricks to place the probe at the level you want to measure it so you know on your grill the actual temperatures.
Enjoy

You can identify hot spots at the cooking grate level by laying out bacon (or white bread) and cooking. I think the general sense is the right side of the RT-700 runs hotter.

To get a temp above the cooking grate, I agree that pinching the probe wire could damage it. You could rig up something to hang the probe from the barrel (eg, a piece of wire, a bundle of aluminum foil, etc) or have the probe rest on something as suggested.

Good info fellas. I have a ton of probes including a cheap throw down with a flat wire. That is what I intended to use but I like the foil idea better. I can fold the foil a couple of times for strength, pass it through the lid gap, then just stick the probe through the foil and let it hang at the correct height.

If I get really bored I might build a mound of foil around some potatoes to resemble a brisket. Then, position 5 probes around and above to record temps with airflow. I might have to get some friends over and start drinking before I expend that amount of effort. If I ever do it I’ll post the results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back