What is your reaction to " Ray's Club" ?

I joined on the gamble that they'll do something big for the first box, huge gamble not likely to pay off but possible. At the end of the day I don't have any of the recteq rubs or sauces and have been wanting to try them, figure I'll possibly get a discount on them and if not it's just $120 gamble on how this might possibly be a deal. Doubtful but who knows?

So I haven't changed my mind about this expensive mystery box, but did anyone buy in? I heard that the first boxes have been delivered. Was it anything amazing? I promise not to judge if anyone here jumped in. I am curious if the substance matched the hype.

So I haven't changed my mind about this expensive mystery box, but did anyone buy in? I heard that the first boxes have been delivered. Was it anything amazing? I promise not to judge if anyone here jumped in. I am curious if the substance matched the hype.
My wife follows someone on FB that is part of the Ray’s club, and that person reported on what she got. She was impressed, but all at Casa Jones were less so. Happy for the folks that like what the club membership provides!

I hate to sound pessimistic but I agree with Greg. If I bring another “tool” for cuing home I will be living in the garage. Further, I mix my own brines and seasonings so that would not be a draw. When it comes to media, that’s just more clutter as every expert has a free video somewhere online. But, he was a car salesman so maybe for some there is a value added component in being the an exclusive club and getting a box full of goodies, especially if you are/were in the first 500 of something that may explode in popularity. Now if that box has a 90% off anything they sell, I’m back in again, haha.

My wife follows someone on FB that is part of the Ray’s club, and that person reported on what she got. She was impressed, but all at Casa Jones were less so. Happy for the folks that like what the club membership provides!
I can understand someone who is just getting started in cooking/grilling/smoking being happy with what they get. That said, when you’ve been cooking/grilling/smoking since the day after the discovery of fire :rolleyes:, you’ve accumulated a sizeable collection of “stuff.” When I look at my accumulation, I find that I use about 10% of it on a regular basis and another 10-15% occasionally. I really don’t need to add to the collection at this point; and, especially not stuff that would probably fall into the 75% that I already don’t use.

Every once-in-a-while there might be something that comes along in the marketplace to pique my interest, but I can’t imagine it showing up in a box of stuff from RT. I make my own sauces and rubs, use time-tested (by me) recipes, and have a huge collection of tools, gizmos, gadgets and trinkets. Now, if they start adding Combustion Inc. thermometers, Wustof Classic knives, etc. to the box, then I’ll concede that I missed the boat.

I can understand someone who is just getting started in cooking/grilling/smoking being happy with what they get. That said, when you’ve been cooking/grilling/smoking since the day after the discovery of fire :rolleyes:, you’ve accumulated a sizeable collection of “stuff.” When I look at my accumulation, I find that I use about 10% of it on a regular basis and another 10-15% occasionally. I really don’t need to add to the collection at this point; and, especially not stuff that would probably fall into the 75% that I already don’t use.
Exactly. I’m more about the experiences these days than the accumulation of stuff. I even canceled an order for a knife this week because I already have too much stuff! 😉 The experiences though, that’s gold. I’ve never heard from anyone that said going to recteq Academy was not money well spent. Plus you still get free stuff!

Exactly. I’m more about the experiences these days than the accumulation of stuff. I even canceled an order for a knife this week because I already have too much stuff! 😉 The experiences though, that’s gold. I’ve never heard from anyone that said going to recteq Academy was not money well spent. Plus you still get free stuff!
Well, I’m not sure I would go so far as to cancel a knife order. :rolleyes: Knives are not just “stuff” in my book; they are a necessity! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Knives are not just “stuff” in my book; they are a necessity!
Yeah, I don't remember which one of you enablers prompted me, but I bought the Wusthof boning knife AND the brisket knife this week. My knife block is already full so I now need to see what gets sent to the drawer of oddball stuff. My vote is the "tomato knife" from the original Wusthof set. Sort of the wrong thread, but short of a a sous vide contraption and a super duper meat slicer, I'm pretty much tapped out. All spare money will be spent on meat, fuel, and probably bourbon.

I hope he has a plan to get them into the house—and, knife block—without incident. :rolleyes:
Fear not! I have turned a blind eye to many, many shoe, purse, sunglasses, and clothing shipments over the years. My wife knew she was busted so bad one time that she even invited the UPS guy in to check out my Recteq to try and run interference.

Give and take is key...

I hate subscriptions - so always a "no" for me. That said, if they need more avenues for revenue - expand your smoke options for existing grills? Examples: wood chuck attachment - then start selling wood chunks? Also, expand your line up: maybe griddles?

Ultimately, I'll almost always so "no" to subscriptions - I don't even have Netflix anymore.

Lifetime Premium membership here was money well spent in ideas, recipes, and support. $480 a year for some swag and Youtube videos doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my two cents...
For sure.... This is "kinda" a low move....

Hope this is NOT a new trend for a great company... Get the most you can out of everything....
Sure Wish they had not pulled the 2018 Academy video's from the site... always enjoyed going back and watching...

If the person spending their money on it finds value in it, more power to them. Personally, I think I will pass.

Not bad...

1687532934427.png

I bought into the hype , cancelled after the first qtr - much better quality 'master class' videos out there - in fact most of their regular videos are of better quality - over sold under delivered imho .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back