What are your favorite sides that are not plain potato or baked beans ??

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
As my left over flat from several weeks ago reaches 170 and gets wrapped, I am contemplating what new sides dishes I want. I have eaten the baked potato and baked bean sides a lot. I need some new ideas even if they are to late for this cook. Those that are less starchy are welcomed as well.

Thanksw for an

Assuming you want sides also cooked on the grill, I like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, spring onions, leeks, corn on the cob, water melon, carrots, sliced sweet onions, and pineapple. For the more starchy group, hard to beat Mac & cheese on the grill,

Attachments

• BaCorn.JPG
    BaCorn.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 88
Please enlighten me with this watermelon on a 700......
I slice the watermelon into slices about 1” thick or so, and cut wedges about the size of a piece of pizza. You can leave it as is, season it with salt, or go full savory and then grill it at somewhere around 400* for around 2 minutes per side. It’s a forgiving fruit to grill-hard to screw it up but the final product is delicious.

I slice the watermelon into slices about 1” thick or so, and cut wedges about the size of a piece of pizza. You can leave it as is, season it with salt, or go full savory and then grill it at somewhere around 400* for around 2 minutes per side. It’s a forgiving fruit to grill-hard to screw it up but the final product is delicious.
Need pics.

Say what Greg? Are you serious? :unsure: .. Never heard of this. Pineapple of course.. but Watermelon? Learn something new everyday.

Need pics.
I looked, but I don’t have any that I took. Plenty on the Internet, but here is one that closely resembles how I do it. I also slice Romaine lettuce in half lengthwise and grill the flat side, but since my wife thinks it’s lame, I didn’t mention that one.

Attachments

• 04EF68C0-8FE1-4EF7-B11F-B2A58859B688.jpeg
    04EF68C0-8FE1-4EF7-B11F-B2A58859B688.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 83
Greg nailed it with his initial list. We also like roasted cauliflower and broccoli as well. Tossed with a little EVOO salt pepper a little grandulated garlic or what other seasoning you like. Roasted then tossed with a little grated parm cheese at the end.

I looked, but I don’t have any that I took. Plenty on the Internet, but here is one that closely resembles how I do it. I also slice Romaine lettuce in half lengthwise and grill the flat side, but since my wife thinks it’s lame, I didn’t mention that one.
Thanks

Yep, grilled Romain is great. I will peel away some of the outer leaves to get to a more compact head and then cut lengthwise. A little EVO spray on the flat side, some fresh cracked black pepper and then on a hot grill for a couple of minutes to get a nice grill sear on them, but not burnt.

If it's cold outside, I will let them set out afterwards, otherwise, into the fridge they go to cool down. Then cut up some red peppers, sweet onion and feta all mixed in with some cut up cherry tomatoes and blue cheese dressing. Place the Romain on its side and spoon the dressing onto it.

Looks and tastes great!

Since you excluded baked beans and they're not a quick fix dish... Cajun Beggar Rice

Wild rice pilaf
White rice
King Cotton Cajun sausage (sliced into thin-ish rounds and seared)
Bell peppers (sauted in the sausage grease)
Onions (sauted in the sausage grease)
Tony Chachere Creole seasoning
Granulated onion and garlic

Cook the rices as normal and when done put into a big pan so you can mix stuff up
Saute the sausage then put on the rice
Saute the peppers and onions in the grease of the sausage and season to taste with Tony C creole seasoning, then put on the rice

Toss the rice, sausage, peppers, and onions together and season to taste with the granulated onion/garlic and Tony Chachere creole seasoning.

Sounds pretty damn good!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back