Weird smoke out ...what's going on?

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey Fellow Pelletheads:

I need some help diagnoising something.

I started smoking at lunchtime today a chicken. Came home at 4:30 from work and then I noticed my grill just bellowing thick white smoke like it was smoldering big time. I tried to turn it off. It would not power down and threw an error. Then I unplugged it and opened it up until it subsided. Temp set 225 when the event was happening temp was around 165 or so. The PID said error . I think the code was 1. Once I unplugged it and let it reset it was still smoking the thick smoke. I then turned it back on and about a minute later I heard a big poof like a serious ignition .. Then it cleared up and came back to temp.

Known variables ...
I cleaned the entire grill two cooks ago.
I am using Kingsford premium oak,cherry and hickory pellets.
I have never seen this before
There are ample pellets in the hopper.

What say you guys?

:unsure: The cause of the smoke may have been a controller error which over fed the pellets. Best to talk to RecTeq about it. I suppose we all should think about putting a UPS or some other power filter on our smokers. Could be a source of these controller problems.

The "poof" was likely a flashover of the smoke igniting. I've had a smoke flashover in a komado. Scared the crap outta me.

:unsure: The cause of the smoke may have been a controller error which over fed the pellets. Best to talk to RecTeq about it. I suppose we all should think about putting a UPS or some other power filter on our smokers. Could be a source of these controller problems.

The "poof" was likely a flashover of the smoke igniting. I've had a smoke flashover in a komado. Scared the crap outta me.
I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. I bought this new and it was delivered December 20th.

How many cooks do you have on it? My ignitor was a good 1/4" inside the tube it sits in and had a couple of bad starts but I caught it before it became an issue. If I didn't, I would have likely had a similar situation you had I think. I had a recommendation here to adjust it flush to the end of the tube and so far I have not had any issues but time will tell. I had quite a few good cooks on it before I started having issues so I was not thinking that.. got mine mid Dec. as well.

You can see my posts from this post on Ignition Issues

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back