Weird Temp Swings

MeSoDougherty

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Hey all. Quick question that can hopefully be solved by someone since RT's support wasn't super helpful. Last couple times I've fired up my 340...it gets to temp...then I can hear it keep feeding pellets into the burn pot, and then I will get an alert that I am over temp. and I can tell that the burn pot is on fire, eventually the fan will get it under control, but then the temp will dip way below the desired temp..basically if I want 225...it will get hot up to 300 or so, then cool down to about 185 and keep doing this. If I let it go long enough, it will correct itself and then steady out. But A) I don't always have the time to wait for this, and B) I am a little worried the fire in the burn pot could eventually feed back into the auger/hopper and create a bigger problem. Has anyone experienced this, and what can I do to solve it? RT's support just told me to check my pellet size and feed rate...but that hasn't really solved anything. I am hoping to cook two pork butts this weekend for my sons birthday party but I have to do it overnight so I don't really want to stress about it

I had the same problem with one of my cooks. Just needed to clean the inside of the grill and remove all the ash out of the pot. Just cooked a 10.5 pound pork butt over night this last weekend. Still worry things can go wrong so didn't get much sleep Saturday night!! Cooked at 200 degrees overnight then 225 for about 6 hours. Turned it up to 350 to finish the last hour. Didn't wrap this time. I really should have cooked at 225 all night.

Have you changed the minimum feed rate?

and I can tell that the burn pot is on fire…
It’s common for these grills to overshoot the set temp at startup, then overcompensate and drop below the set point before finally reaching the desired temp. See the beginning of this graph I just posted recently Here.

Can you explain your concern with a fire in the burn pot? The fire pot should always have a fire in it when the grill is functioning properly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back