Bull Using a smoke tube.

If you live in a humid climate the pellets can absorb moisture. I have had to turn my grill on high and put my tube/maze full of pellets in there for 5-10 minute to dry them.

Switching to a pellet smoker left me with lots of chips. And I continue to use them in my smoke tube. I’m not able to taste the different woods in the meat that I smoke, so for me it’s more of the enjoyment of using a bit of cherry wood today and some other fruit tomorrow. Maybe I’m just kidding myself but I think when I do use that smoke tube I get a better flavor on my meats. And yeah, I have some difficulty keeping it lit. I’ve picked up a couple tips from this thread that I will try and see if that improves things.

Spending what you spend on the rt-700, why waste money on a smoke tube? You should have gotten a real smoker for less
  1. Because I was interested in experimenting and a $30 smoke tube isn't going to kill me.
  2. Because I would like to try alternative things like cold smoking at some point.
  3. Because you've already labeled me a fan boy since I paid to support this site, I needed to maintain my reputation for the next time you come here trolling.

Good tips in this thread..
Since moving over to Recteq from a WSM I was concerned about getting a lighter smoke flavor than I was accustomed to. Every long smoke I’ve used a smoke tube. I am happy with the amount of smoke from the tube, using the Recteq pellets. I use a heat gun to fire up my pellets, let them burn for 5 mins then put in the grill. At the end of my cook there’s nothing but ash in the tube.

Attachments

• 5B028B20-1C19-4683-B273-6641F5A05017.jpeg
    5B028B20-1C19-4683-B273-6641F5A05017.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 73
  • D163B22A-0C79-427A-BE4D-42AA5149A82F.jpeg
    D163B22A-0C79-427A-BE4D-42AA5149A82F.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 74
“Spending what you spend on the rt-700, why waste money on a smoke tube? You should have gotten a real smoker for less.”

Well, heck; a bunch of years back, I built my first “real smoker” for less than $25 and it produced good food. It was, however, a PITA to use; constant tending, finding and preparing the right wood, etc., etc. The pellet smoker eliminates most of that hassle and produces about the same quality food.

Now, if there is a magical smoker out there that makes cooking even easier than my pellet grill, I’d sure like to hear about it. :rolleyes:

Good tips in this thread..
Since moving over to Recteq from a WSM I was concerned about getting a lighter smoke flavor than I was accustomed to. Every long smoke I’ve used a smoke tube. I am happy with the amount of smoke from the tube, using the Recteq pellets. I use a heat gun to fire up my pellets, let them burn for 5 mins then put in the grill. At the end of my cook there’s nothing but ash in the tube.
This is exactly what I do, and although I’ve noticed a difference with different pellet brands, I’ve never had any problems with doing this.

Because you've already labeled me a fan boy since I paid to support this site, I needed to maintain my reputation for the next time you come here trolling.
Uh oh. He called me a boy. What am I going to have to do to maintain that reputation? 😱

Directing

Spending what you spend on the rt-700, why waste money on a smoke tube? You should have gotten a real smoker for less
Your comment is not appreciated. If you don't have anything helpful to add to the conversation, don't post. It's just trivial dribble.

I have an issue using my smoke tube. Each time I use it I make sure it is burning well. But, after I put it in my 680 it shortly goes out.
???? Pellets are fresh and dry. Lack of oxygen?? Anyone else experience this?
David
I also have problems but mine is using the smoke tube in a Weber Kettle Grill. I like to do wings in the Weber grill with a Vortex. I cannot keep the smoke tube burning due to lack of air. Anyone else ever use this method & if so how do you keep the smoke tube smoldering? I have used my RT 340 for the wings but prefer the Weber. I mainly use the RT 340 for slow & low.

I also have problems but mine is using the smoke tube in a Weber Kettle Grill. I like to do wings in the Weber grill with a Vortex. I cannot keep the smoke tube burning due to lack of air. Anyone else ever use this method & if so how do you keep the smoke tube smoldering? I have used my RT 340 for the wings but prefer the Weber. I mainly use the RT 340 for slow & low.
I usually use a Bic lighter to keep smoke tube lit.

Actually I was using matches to get it going and was going to try the Bic lighter. Thanks Homer!!
I do use a torch to get it going. It always does good on a pellet grill but not the Weber.
Yep Homer might be messing with you. He does that every once in a while. You need a small torch to fire it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back