Using additional smoke sources

MrChuckles

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Bradley smoker that I no longer use since I bought my 1250. I was wondering if I could gain some additional smoke, or if anyone has tried using the wood sources for those two products on top of the fire pit. The Bradley uses little pucks of compressed wood that I was thinking about setting on top of the firebox diffuser. The Weber Smokey Mountain uses wood chunks embedded in the charcoal. I wonder if those would chunks would smolder on top of the firebox. Do you guys think it would add smoke? Also if it did, would it give it a weird taste do you think? I'm thinking about trying it.

Never tried either one, but even if it works you may not like the flavor of doing it that way. I expect both methods would give smoke similar to the smoke from a smoke tube.

I have two smoke tubes and I used to use them all the time, adjusting the pellets to the meat I was cooking. Then I got lazy and stopped using them for a few cooks, and I found I liked the flavor better. There was less smoke flavor, but I preferred the less harsh taste as the tubes produce dirty smoke. I’ll still use a tube with cherry pellets on whole chickens, but mostly for the beautiful color as cherry adds a mild flavor.

The best way to get additional, clean smoke is to use one of the Smoke Daddy products, the Heavy D or the Cold Smoke Generator. I have a Heavy D in my RT-700, but you may not want to scrap your cast iron diffuser to go that route.

Closest I get is that I've split some of the chunks I had for the WSM into small splits that I add to my smoker tube. To me it's better then no extra smoke, and better then just pellets in the tube but still not as good as the charcoal in the WSM.

I do not add extra smoke to poultry.

I also have a Bradley, but I only use mine to smoke homemade sausage now, since I can hang them in there, more or less.

I would think wood chips on top the diffuser would work, though they might burn up pretty quick. Maybe place a smoker box on top of the diffuser?

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Bradley smoker that I no longer use since I bought my 1250. I was wondering if I could gain some additional smoke, or if anyone has tried using the wood sources for those two products on top of the fire pit. The Bradley uses little pucks of compressed wood that I was thinking about setting on top of the firebox diffuser. The Weber Smokey Mountain uses wood chunks embedded in the charcoal. I wonder if those would chunks would smolder on top of the firebox. Do you guys think it would add smoke? Also if it did, would it give it a weird taste do you think? I'm thinking about trying it.
Chiming in late on this but will give you my 2 cents. I did add would chunks onto my RT1250 diffuser, it worked well but didn’t really notice a difference in the taste of the pork and the smoke only lasted about 40 min. I also like a heavier smoke profile and recently purchased the heavy D. For larger cuts like pork shoulders and brisket. In my experience the heavy D produced a solid 4 hrs of smoke and along with the pellets. Last weeks 9lb pork butt cook came out excellent. I used 2 fire bricks to raise it up as the same height as the cast iron diffuser included with the 1250 ( saw that from a previous post on here last month) Prior to using the heavy D I could barely taste any smoke on big cuts. I have done about a dozen cooks on it since Christmas and finally starting to get the flavors I was used to from a vertical master built I used. I was burning camp chef pellets but have since swapped to Bear Mountain and they seam to produce a better smoke than the CS brand. I kept the cast iron diffuser and use it for poultry, ribs, and apps, and the flavor is perfect. Like others said on this forum, I’m getting used to a lighter smoke flavor but still want to taste it on brisket and pulled pork. There is a ton of great advice on this forum, good luck. Here’s a few pics of the heavy D installed, it only takes a min to swap out diffusers.

Attachments

• 6AFD0654-4EA5-46FD-9E71-624373A78D47.jpeg
    6AFD0654-4EA5-46FD-9E71-624373A78D47.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • E4CA2B02-3A36-456C-97D3-D23EE5274F2B.jpeg
    E4CA2B02-3A36-456C-97D3-D23EE5274F2B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 8757D138-BDC8-4610-A388-FDDD782A001A.jpeg
    8757D138-BDC8-4610-A388-FDDD782A001A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 80
Chiming in late on this but will give you my 2 cents. I did add would chunks onto my RT1250 diffuser, it worked well but didn’t really notice a difference in the taste of the pork and the smoke only lasted about 40 min. I also like a heavier smoke profile and recently purchased the heavy D. For larger cuts like pork shoulders and brisket. In my experience the heavy D produced a solid 4 hrs of smoke and along with the pellets. Last weeks 9lb pork butt cook came out excellent. I used 2 fire bricks to raise it up as the same height as the cast iron diffuser included with the 1250 ( saw that from a previous post on here last month) Prior to using the heavy D I could barely taste any smoke on big cuts. I have done about a dozen cooks on it since Christmas and finally starting to get the flavors I was used to from a vertical master built I used. I was burning camp chef pellets but have since swapped to Bear Mountain and they seam to produce a better smoke than the CS brand. I kept the cast iron diffuser and use it for poultry, ribs, and apps, and the flavor is perfect. Like others said on this forum, I’m getting used to a lighter smoke flavor but still want to taste it on brisket and pulled pork. There is a ton of great advice on this forum, good luck. Here’s a few pics of the heavy D installed, it only takes a min to swap out diffusers.

Were those pieces in your pic the ones you put in the Heavy D? Did you pre-light them or just running the 1250 allowed enough to light/smoke the pieces?

Were those pieces in your pic the ones you put in the Heavy D? Did you pre-light them or just running the 1250 allowed enough to light/smoke the pieces?
Yes, those pieces went in the Heavy D. Set the temp to 275, once smoke starts rolling I dialed it in to 225. No temp spikes at all once they were lit. temps here the last week have been in the high 20’s low 30’s. Summertime will be the tell tale sign to see if the grill temp spikes, so far so good

Yes, those pieces went in the Heavy D. Set the temp to 275, once smoke starts rolling I dialed it in to 225. No temp spikes at all once they were lit. temps here the last week have been in the high 20’s low 30’s. Summertime will be the tell tale sign to see if the grill temp spikes, so far so good

Nice.. been eyeing this for some time and had mixed feedback. Glad to see someone with positive results. Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back