Bull Temperature when using griddle plate?

Andy J.

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just got a griddle plate and seasoned it. What temperature do you run the recteq grill at when cooking using the griddle plate. Does it change for different foods? (Bacon, eggs, etc.) any help is appreciated. I have never cooked on a flat top grill.

Depends what you're cooking and how fast you want it. I do onions and sausage at 300-325. Walk away, get a drink, whatever - it won't burn, some spatula work involved moving stuff around - but this takes me about an hour. 400 and up you have to watch it more closely, more Blackstone-y, like for fajitas and burgers.

Don't forget it's NOT a Blackstone, heat it a little higher than you want to work with because once you open the lid you're mostly working with the heat stored in the griddle itself. It only recovers when you close the lid.

Which is why I don’t use one on my pellet grill; just my gasser.
If you're not playing Japanese chef on a Teppanyaki making onion volcanos and stuff like that it works OK. Burgers, sausages, onions (veggies), and even Pizza all come out fine on the pellet griddle. Oh yeah - and Bacon. It all gets a hint of smoke as well.

Depends what you're cooking and how fast you want it. I do onions and sausage at 300-325. Walk away, get a drink, whatever - it won't burn, some spatula work involved moving stuff around - but this takes me about an hour. 400 and up you have to watch it more closely, more Blackstone-y, like for fajitas and burgers.

Don't forget it's NOT a Blackstone, heat it a little higher than you want to work with because once you open the lid you're mostly working with the heat stored in the griddle itself. It only recovers when you close the lid.
Thank you!

If you're not playing Japanese chef on a Teppanyaki making onion volcanos and stuff like that it works OK. Burgers, sausages, onions (veggies), and even Pizza all come out fine on the pellet griddle. Oh yeah - and Bacon. It all gets a hint of smoke as well.
共 ありがと ございます :rolleyes:

Edit: I lived in Japan for a few years. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yeah.... so did you mean Godzilla trumps Ferrari, GTR (aka Godzilla) trumps Ferrari, you like the band Gojira, you like all the Godzilla movies, random Japanese word association game because those other two threads died?

Yeah.... so did you mean Godzilla trumps Ferrari, GTR (aka Godzilla) trumps Ferrari, you like the band Gojira, you like all the Godzilla movies, random Japanese word association game because those other two threads died?
Yes 🤣

Gojira is one of my favorite bands.......damn what a concert they put on!!!!

フェラーリ男
(y)

Driving Fast Car GIF by Fortnite

Thank you!
If you haven’t already guessed, using a griddle on a pellet grill is a coin flip. If you set the grill for x degrees, the grill will work to maintain that temp inside the grill. Open/cook with the lid open, and the grill will increase the fire under the griddle to maintain a grill temp that is not attainable, because the lid is open. if you want a griddle, buy a plate for a gas grill or buy a dedicated griddle. It’s unlikely you will ever have satisfactory results using a griddle on a pellet grill. I have a griddle for a Bullseye that I will gladly give away for free if you come pick it up-no shipping!

I just got a griddle plate and seasoned it. What temperature do you run the recteq grill at when cooking using the griddle plate. Does it change for different foods? (Bacon, eggs, etc.) any help is appreciated. I have never cooked on a flat top grill.
I agree the temp cannot be set and constant if you keep the lid in the up position. I bought the large which I’d 19.5X19.5 and the lid on RT 1250 won’t close all the way leaving a 1/2” gap. I have a 22” Weber kettle that I put the griddle on and really was happy with the results. I put down a level amount of charcoal and lit with a propane grill gun. I left the grate in to clean and put the griddle on the edge of the kettle so that each corner overlapped the edge. I used the bottom vents to adjust temp. Got the griddle surface temp by using a infrared thermometer. I ended up with a clean grill and grates as a bonus.

You should get a Blackstone or something similar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back