Turkey

I brine for at least 12 - 24 hours depending upon the size of the bird. Rinse and pat dry. Maybe do some kind of rub, but usually just SPOG with an olive oil binder. I always spatchcock poultry. I like to put some more aromatics (garlic, onion, celery, rosemary, lemon, etc.) under the bird on a wire rack on top of a shallow pan to catch the drippings for gravy. I start low - 200 for about an hour for a kiss of smoke then roast at 375 to complete the cook and crisp up the skin.

I’ve used the directions on the Hy Grill Hey web site for spatchcocked Smokey turkey with success, they have directions for a breast too, which I’ve also done.

I brine for at least 12 - 24 hours depending upon the size of the bird.
That's for fancy birds. Run of the mill store bought are usually already injected. They can charge you 10% more for the bird (for just salt water). If it's a bargain bird (no shame, that's all I get) compound butter under the skin wherever you can reach.

☝️Good point. I don't cook a lot of turkeys and when I do they're fresh and not frozen or injected, but as you also mentioned, I cringe when I'm paying almost as much for a big turkey as I do for a nice brisket. I prefer the brisket.

That's for fancy birds. Run of the mill store bought are usually already injected. They can charge you 10% more for the bird (for just salt water). If it's a bargain bird (no shame, that's all I get) compound butter under the skin wherever you can reach.
The compound butter under the skin always works for me as well. I think it helps crisp up the skin and definitely adds flavor and moisture.

No brine or injection needed, just a bit of avocado oil and a nice dusting of Cavender's Greek seasoning, I don't do whole turkeys anymore I just do the boobs. I don't ever go below 275 and the skin is wonderful and not rubbery at all. If going whole then yes go spatchcock method. :)

Spatchcock, then dry brine for 24 hrs. Rinse, pat dry, olive oil rub, and then light SP or your favorite poultry seasoning. Go easy on salt cause you already brined it. On the grill skin side up and 350* until thigh meat is 180*--185, and skin is browned and crisp. At our house, it is not done until the drumsticks are loose in the joint.

I just do the boobs.
1681003445206.jpeg

If you want more smoke flavor do a lower temp like 225,also spatchcocking helps get more flavor in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back