Turkey Sides?

SmokeOCD

Turkey threads are going on but no one is talking about sides. Do you keep it American traditional or will there be something unique at the table?

Completely traditional. On second though, except for the turkey, which is a Cajun breast, certainly not traditional in New England.

Jody did a poll among the RT team about favorite part of Thanksgiving. I was surprised how many said mac and cheese. Must be a southern thing.

All traditional here except some Jalapeño corn and onions. Gotta have a little kick somewhere.

I’m mostly a traditional sides guy, but with some twists. The wife and I are mostly Keto eaters as she has some inflammation issues with the high carb stuff, so no M&C or mashed potatoes here. I will be making sweet potatoes wrapped in bacon based on a video Tom at ATBBQ recently posted. No green been casserole either, but I will be doing a very rough approximation using broccolini. Tradition, made from scratch, cranberry salad and perhaps not traditional to most of the audience, spoon bread. Most of my family is gone but for my children who (since last Thanksgiving) are in Germany and Hawaii, so not a lot of guests at our table this year!

My wife makes an incredible cranberry sauce that is in high demand in our family during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. It is her “secret recipe” and she hasn’t even shared it with family, though after having seen it made many times, I pretty much know what it is. I’m sworn to secrecy, however.

Deviled eggs that you smoke at 180 for about 5-10 minutes when they are finished. Really makes for a unique and great flavor
Smoking of a lot of things not ribs, briskest, or butts, but like eggs, or even kosher salt, is underrated here. Nice post! BTW, smoked Kosher salt is reason enough to own a smoker!

My wife makes an incredible cranberry sauce that is in high demand in our family during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. It is her “secret recipe” and she hasn’t even shared it with family, though after having seen it made many times, I pretty much know what it is. I’m sworn to secrecy, however.
You are no fun!

Traditional Oven roasted turkey, mashed taters, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, gravy, bread, cranberry sauce, salad (you know.... eating healthy):rolleyes:.

Then non-traditional Saturday - because turkeys were on sale. Spatchcocked and smoked - with who knows what for sides. Maybe Mac n Cheese like someone mentioned.

Distilled secret? You don't have to confirm anything - but I bet a capful of Gran Marnier would be a nice secret ingredient.

Have 3 10lb boobies to smoke "gonna do 3 different flavor profiles", my other contributions are mashed potatoes and sweet corn casserole......the rest of family can pick up the slack. :LOL:

I must give that a try soon, what is your smoking temp and process?
This is from an older post of mine about smoking salt in the RT-700 smokebox. The smokebox is much cooler than the main chamber, so I’d set the grill to LO if no smokebox. Put the salt in a thin layer on a sheet pan, stir every 15 minutes or so. If you want a true ‘cold’ smoke, turning the fan only on and a smoke tube works very well also.

I just smoked Kosher salt and cream cheese together in mine this week, 225* for a couple of hours. The smoked salt is wonderful-I make a big batch and use it on many things when seasoning. The smoked cream cheese Is very popular now, and while a smoke box is not needed to do this, it does make a nice final product. One caution I will make is be careful trying to multitask with the smoke box. I once tried smoking salt while smoking a pork butt and the salt picked up all the flavors of the butt, which is not what I was looking for. So you can use that feature for your benefit or not, just be aware that it will impact your flavors.

IMG_2004.jpeg

Traditional Oven roasted turkey, mashed taters, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, gravy, bread, cranberry sauce, salad (you know.... eating healthy):rolleyes:.

Then non-traditional Saturday - because turkeys were on sale. Spatchcocked and smoked - with who knows what for sides. Maybe Mac n Cheese like someone mentioned.
How do you cook the Mac & Cheese? Could it be done while smoking the Turkey?

We are pretty traditional but many of us love a spiced (a little more cayenne & red pepper flakes) elevated Spinach Madeline.

This is from an older post of mine about smoking salt in the RT-700 smokebox. The smokebox is much cooler than the main chamber, so I’d set the grill to LO if no smokebox. Put the salt in a thin layer on a sheet pan, stir every 15 minutes or so. If you want a true ‘cold’ smoke, turning the fan only on and a smoke tube works very well also.

I just smoked Kosher salt and cream cheese together in mine this week, 225* for a couple of hours. The smoked salt is wonderful-I make a big batch and use it on many things when seasoning. The smoked cream cheese Is very popular now, and while a smoke box is not needed to do this, it does make a nice final product. One caution I will make is be careful trying to multitask with the smoke box. I once tried smoking salt while smoking a pork butt and the salt picked up all the flavors of the butt, which is not what I was looking for. So you can use that feature for your benefit or not, just be aware that it will impact your flavors.

View attachment 20627
I was actually just about to pm you about how long you smoke salt lol. You have given me the idea to smoke my summer sausage seasoning before i make the sausage. Its gotta be good!

The best advice I can give you about smoking salt is that a little smoke is wonderful, a little more smoke may be not so great. Start out conservative on the smoke times, then dial it up if you want a little more. Or blend it with unsmoked salt if you went too far. Salt is cheap, and pellets are cheap also compared to a Prime cut of meat. And don’t multitask with smoking salt while smoking a pork butt! You may not even like the results of that on your next pork butt!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back