Bullseye Turkey breast

wml331

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Gonna do a turkey breast. Using a garlic herb injection. Any advice on cook temps or anything else? Should I inject the night before?

275F is what temp I do until hit about 155 internal, then I kick up to 300 until it hits 162. I do not inject but will sometimes brine, I baste with melted butter each hour up to hitting 162.......a properly smoked turkey breast is life changing, in particular for those that are on the fence about turkey. :)

Proper smoked turkey is my bbq Achilles heel. Everything I do it; bring, butter, inject, wrap and any combo of the above, never satisfied.

I don‘t inject the night before out of fear that the meat will boil instead of cooking. That being said, you should try marinating/brining them overnight in a combo of Kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika and miscellaneous herbs you like. Pull it from the fridge 3 hours before cooking (just keep the meat’s temp under ~45F) and add your favorite rub (be easy on the salt as the chicken has already absorbed quite a bit during the brine process). Just some thoughts. Let us know how the cook comes out.

I‘ve tried brining and injecting and didn’t notice a difference with just brined, i do use butter on the outside and to some extent under the skin. I also have to spatchcock them as they don’t fit the 340.

fwiw, I cook mine at 325, turning it 180 after an hour. I use a smoke tube for the first hr. and pull at 160-165 at the thigh. My bride won’t touch it if it‘s got pink in it.

I‘ve tried brining and injecting and didn’t notice a difference with just brined, i do use butter on the outside and to some extent under the skin. I also have to spatchcock them as they don’t fit the 340.

fwiw, I cook mine at 325, turning it 180 after an hour. I use a smoke tube for the first hr. and pull at 160-165 at the thigh. My bride won’t touch it if it‘s got pink in it.

The OP is talking about a breast, but agree that spatchcocking is the way to go for a whole bird. :)

The OP is talking about a breast, but agree that spatchcocking is the way to go for a whole bird. :)
1000008478.jpg

275F is what temp I do until hit about 155 internal, then I kick up to 300 until it hits 162. I do not inject but will sometimes brine, I baste with melted butter each hour up to hitting 162.......a properly smoked turkey breast is life changing, in particular for those that are on the fence about turkey. :)
Moto,

Are the breasts you smoke bone in? Skin on? I have a couple in the deep freeze I want to smoke when things warm up.

Everything I read online says pull at 157 and tent to prevent overlooking. That's my biggest concern. Overcooking and drying it out.

Everything I read online says pull at 157 and tent to prevent overlooking. That's my biggest concern. Overcooking and drying it out.
I actually pull at 152F. For some reason the carry over on a turkey breast for me is usually 7-10F when cooked at 350F to keep the skin crispy. If skinless, I pull at 150F and wrap in foil with a little apple juice and butter on the top to keep as much moisture in the breast as possible. There is definitely a thin line between moist and good, and dry and disappointing. YMMV.

I have never smoked a dry turkey, they turnout insane juicy. Can always pull off at less than 162, I can see the merit of pulling around 155/158, perhaps the turkeys I get are higher quality than some others? I don't tent or wrap "15 minute rest uncovered", so maybe also me pulling a bit higher than others are mentioning isn't so high after all? I have smoked many, always get rave reviews and no leftovers. LOL

While I have never smoked just a turkey breast, I have had a great deal of success (or dumb luck) in cooking turkeys. I've even had success when I was not paying attention and the internal temp climbed to 165+ before pulling. I will say that I always brine for a day, allow a day of rest uncovered in the fridge, and then cook. I usually go 200 - 225 for an hour or so for a smoke kiss, then roast off at 350 - 375 to finish the cook and crisp up the skin.

I have never smoked a dry turkey, they turnout insane juicy. Can always pull off at less than 162, I can see the merit of pulling around 155/158, perhaps the turkeys I get are higher quality than some others? I don't tent or wrap "15 minute rest uncovered", so maybe also me pulling a bit higher than others are mentioning isn't so high after all? I have smoked many, always get rave reviews and no leftovers. LOL
Motordad1776,

I agree with a whole turkey you can pull later as the entire protein is covered with skin and fat which keeps the juices inside. I think the OP was asking about breasts only. For me, they cook completely different since you have the internal/insides of the turkey exposed to the heat source. This increased, exposed, surface area is why I pull early. I am also a big fan of spatchcocking if I am in a hurry but for me that is secondary to a rotisserie turkey. It is amazing what can happen when the bird is self basting at 250F for 4-5 hours. Each piece is succulent and filled with natural flavor. I do this with my Lynx Professional 36” with its smoker box to enhance the flavor or I use my New Braunfels vertical smoker with oak and pecan spits and hang two or three 18-22 pounders vertically to really change the smoke profile. I have also used my Bull at low temp for 45 minutes to get a decent smoke saturation going, then add it to the gasser’s rotisserie to take it next level but that also seems like I’m cheating.

IMG_0181.jpeg

The big 10 pound bone in and skin on breasts I smoke are well protected, the meat is even more juicy and tender when I decide to brine. My Dad wasn't a fan of turkey until he ate the smoked bird breasts I do, same goes for my buddy who recently passed away from cancer, I am thankful for the last 3 Thanksgiving celebrations that he lasted, in particular when he was given only 10 months to live..........oh how he loved my turkeys. :)

The big 10 pound bone in and skin on breasts I smoke are well protected, the meat is even more juicy and tender when I decide to brine. My Dad wasn't a fan of turkey until he ate the smoked bird breasts I do, same goes for my buddy who recently passed away from cancer, I am thankful for the last 3 Thanksgiving celebrations that he lasted, in particular when he was given only 10 months to live..........oh how he loved my turkeys. :)
That is the best way any of us can hope for in our declining years. Family, friends, food, and love.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back