Doing my 1st Turkey Breast....

Ok, Got the breast all seasoned last night..
And NO I forgot to brine it... I hope that doesn't ruin this...
It is about 8.5 lbs, and reading some write-ups I am looking at 35 min per lb. Does that sound right?
If so, I am looking at around roughly 5 hours cook time.
I am going to re-apply butter every hour or so, I will utilize the temp probe.
Is it recommended to do this uncovered then covered or reverse or neither?
Any and all input greatly accepted! I don't want to kill this on my 1st shot... We will be hangry!......

Thanks in advance!
Eric

what temp are you cooking at? I do mine at 325
It will be fine without brine.
I think more like 25-30 mins. per pound.
I leave mine uncover for the entire cook.

Well, good question. Seems every different article I read has a slightly different time and temp.
Was looking at doing it at 350, but if 325 is doable then I shall give that a try.
Uncovered, got it. I need to stay on it every our to help keep that moisture in.
Do you add smoke chips at all? I have some I might try...
Other than that, my fingers will be crossed the whole smoke... Thanks for the input.

Don't get too weirded out by different "directions" or "opinions"........that's how it is. Recipes are guidelines, not absolute processes, in most cases. And opinions are opinions, yours may or may not sinc with those given. It's all about experimenting which is learning.

Saying that, the breast is the part of the bird that will dry out the easiest, so on your first one you'll want to be vigilant in monitoring temp to avoid overshooting. Remember, once you take it off the heat and let it rest before cutting it will have some temp gain in carryover heating. On the brining, if you still have the packaging take a closer look at what it might say. Often the packager will inject a breast with a saline solution to add moisture, similar to brining.

Roger that. Thank you. It went great, had it at 330 for 5 hours. I checked every hour, at that time I also reapplied butter mix. Wife really enjoyed it. Next, this weekend, I want to attempt a brisket....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back