Bull Today’s cook and an after firepot burn

The last couple of cooks I still had some smoldering going on after shutdown at lower temps (250) Wound up removing the smoking/burning pellets out of the pot.
I really hope I don’t have to do this after every cook.
On yesterday’s cook everything was cleaned out prior to cooking.

Attachments

• 6BEDE4B2-E753-481D-93FE-D869BEA96BFD.jpeg
    6BEDE4B2-E753-481D-93FE-D869BEA96BFD.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 66
I just unplug my grill once the countdown is about 30 seconds left, pellets are burnt up with nothing but clean ash and no fresh pellets fed on top. Agree that I shouldn't have to do that, but hey it works. :)

I just unplug my grill once the countdown is about 30 seconds left, pellets are burnt up with nothing but clean ash and no fresh pellets fed on top. Agree that I shouldn't have to do that, but hey it works. :)
Have to try this one.
Thanks
I know this might not make a difference but this has only happens when I used the Lumber Jack Oak/apple blend.

My RT-700 started doing the same thing. Mine looks just like MikeB's picture after a cook. I do use LJ pellets. I think it might have started after switching from PitBoss. I'll have to try some PitBoss again as a test. I did try setting my grill to 225 to cool it down a bit before shutting it off as mensioned on other posts but. It was taknig too long to cool down to that temperature. It also bruns more pellets while cooling down. That way it does not under shoot the temperature setpoint. This burns up more pellets just tring to cool it down. I do like the LJ pellets better. Just my opion. I wonder if RT even has the ability to update the software after its delivered to the customer.

Mark

They have options for feed rates, temp offsets, etc. it’s kind of surprising to me that they didn’t include the ability to adjust the shutdown procedure.

This is the only pellet grill I’ve owned where I have to be careful with the shutdown. I want it longer and don’t want it adding pellets at the end.

It’s a dangerously dumb shutdown cycle.

Novice here, but what if you combined lowering the temp and opening the lid for a "period of time" - wouldn't that expedite the temp lowering time?

Novice here, but what if you combined lowering the temp and opening the lid for a "period of time" - wouldn't that expedite the temp lowering time?
My theory on that is that opening the lid to expedite lowering the temp, while the grill is still on, will have the opposite effect. The controller will start throwing more pellets to compensate for an accelerated drop in temps. I’ve observed this when attempting to cool the grill by opening the lid when the temp had spiked. The resulting spike made the grill even hotter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back