Humbling Cook today

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
We have been cleaning out our freezer. Today I cooked some beef shank cuts. I was concerned about them and actually complained to my wife about buying them, but they actually turned out very good. My wife would not let me take any pictures and I am posting without her permission. The last year has been very difficult on our business and she told me today she bought them last year when we were unsure of how things would go and also at that time beef was hard to get stores running out of things. I am sure we all remember. I cooked them for her and they did turn out great on the Bullseye as usual. It was my first cook in a lodge skillet!

1 year later we are still here and things are getting better. Just wanted to share with my new RecTeq family. I appreciate meeting all of you in our little community. Honestly we are better off than many and I am grateful.
Looking forward to this next year!

Glad you're still around and the shanks turned out well.

We are blessed. I try to remember that no matter how bad we may have it, there's always someone that's got it worse. We pay it forward when we can, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Hang in there brother.

Hey Pops.. I'm sure we all have stories or have not lived so many can relate. It's great to hear things are on the up for you and the bride.

My wife and I say it all the time how fortunate we have been now and then. We have been together since 14 & 15 with our first born at 17 & 18 ourselves and have been through just about everything and still going.

I guess the most important thing is having each other. Having a forum like this with the good folks here sharing a common interest is awesome. I belong to a few communities and this one by far has the best folks out of them all. We are lucky to have you here and it is great to hear your stories. Always looking for a good tomorrow!

This thread reminded me of some meat I have had in the freezer for about a year.

As the pandemic unfolded, Restaurant Depot soon realized commercial restaurant clients alone, were not going to keep them afloat. So they opened the doors to the public. Meat was becomming a problem and they must have had some sourcing issues at the time. I found a huge ribeye roast...but it was a low grade. I bought it anyway, thinking it may be the only meat we get for a while. I cut it into steaks, vacuum packed and froze them. We ate a few. They were some tough and lean steaks.

Turned out the meat shortage only affected us for a very short time and we were back into good quality meat. The tough ribeyes got pushed to the back of the freezer.

Fast forward to this spring. Being an upland bird hunter (quail, chukar, pheasant, partridge), I have a good well trained bird dog, an English Pointer. We got him when he was about 5 or 6. About a year later he developed a digestive problem that was life threatening. We got a handle on it with strong probiotics and meds and he can eat anything now.

Well, you can imagine how good he's eating! Full disclosure, he only gets about a half cup of the ribeyes cubed and slightly cooked, on top of his high quality dry food. We had been supplementing his dry food with Costco roasted chicken. But the ribeye is a treat for him. And no, he's not spoiled...much.

My wife and I are thankful to have made it through this past year without having lost family or close friends. This forum has been a great sanctuary from all the craziness in the world.
20190819_184544.jpg
20181101_182218_001.jpg
20191022_152515.jpg
20191028_112717.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful looking English Pointer.. great story and so glad to hear he is doing well.

Fast forward to this spring. Being an upland bird hunter (quail, chukar, pheasant, partridge), I have a good well trained bird dog, an English Pointer.
Nice pup! I used to to a lot of upland hunting also, I had English Setters. I hunted mostly quail and ruffled grouse, and some pheasant although they are mostly gone from Kentucky and southern Ohio now. My dad was the most avid pheasant hunter I’ve ever known. Once pheasant started to decline in big numbers on his southern Ohio farms, he went hunting in South Dakota, 32 years straight IIRC. His last trip there was right after his 88th birthday!

Hey Pops.. I'm sure we all have stories or have not lived so many can relate. It's great to hear things are on the up for you and the bride.

My wife and I say it all the time how fortunate we have been now and then. We have been together since 14 & 15 with our first born at 17 & 18 ourselves and have been through just about everything and still going.

I guess the most important thing is having each other. Having a forum like this with the good folks here sharing a common interest is awesome. I belong to a few communities and this one by far has the best folks out of them all. We are lucky to have you here and it is great to hear your stories. Always looking for a good tomorrow!
Amen!

This thread reminded me of some meat I have had in the freezer for about a year.

As the pandemic unfolded, Restaurant Depot soon realized commercial restaurant clients alone, were not going to keep them afloat. So they opened the doors to the public. Meat was becomming a problem and they must have had some sourcing issues at the time. I found a huge ribeye roast...but it was a low grade. I bought it anyway, thinking it may be the only meat we get for a while. I cut it into steaks, vacuum packed and froze them. We ate a few. They were some tough and lean steaks.

Turned out the meat shortage only affected us for a very short time and we were back into good quality meat. The tough ribeyes got pushed to the back of the freezer.

Fast forward to this spring. Being an upland bird hunter (quail, chukar, pheasant, partridge), I have a good well trained bird dog, an English Pointer. We got him when he was about 5 or 6. About a year later he developed a digestive problem that was life threatening. We got a handle on it with strong probiotics and meds and he can eat anything now.

Well, you can imagine how good he's eating! Full disclosure, he only gets about a half cup of the ribeyes cubed and slightly cooked, on top of his high quality dry food. We had been supplementing his dry food with Costco roasted chicken. But the ribeye is a treat for him. And no, he's not spoiled...much.

My wife and I are thankful to have made it through this past year without having lost family or close friends. This forum has been a great sanctuary from all the craziness in the world.
View attachment 9983View attachment 9984View attachment 9985View attachment 9986
Thanks for sharing those pics. Beautiful dog. And they should be treated like your child. They are family.

View attachment 9983View attachment 9984View attachment 9985View attachment 9986
"My wife and I are thankful to have made it through this past year without having lost family or close friends. This forum has been a great sanctuary from all the craziness in the world."

AMEN!

"My wife and I are thankful to have made it through this past year without having lost family or close friends. This forum has been a great sanctuary from all the craziness in the world."

AMEN!
Agree 👍

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back