Those in Arizona

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm moving to the Phoenix area in about 10 days. I'm wondering if you use a grill cover down there? I'm thinking with little rain, and warmer temps, having a cover might be a great place for rattlesnakes etc. to crawl under and then when you go to take the cover off........SURPRISE!!! Btw, I HATE snakes!!!

I'm moving to the Phoenix area in about 10 days. I'm wondering if you use a grill cover down there? I'm thinking with little rain, and warmer temps, having a cover might be a great place for rattlesnakes etc. to crawl under and then when you go to take the cover off........SURPRISE!!! Btw, I HATE snakes!!!
I'm not a resident, so I can't answer for sure. But, I think your thought process is solid. We looked at houses to buy in the valley about a year ago and one of the things that we were told by our agent is that fumigating for scorpions is fairly common, so don't lose sight of that.

I'm not a resident, so I can't answer for sure. But, I think your thought process is solid. We looked at houses to buy in the valley about a year ago and one of the things that we were told by our agent is that fumigating for scorpions is fairly common, so don't lose sight of that.
I bought a new Rigid cordless backpack sprayer and a big jug of Talak to spray for all sorts of things.

Having lived in Arizona at one time, I can say that you learn to keep an eye out for the creepy-crawlies. It is just part of living in the desert. “Look before you reach or step!”

Personally, I wouldn’t use a fabric cover on my grill in Arizona, but would want some form of overhead cover to protect it from the sun. And, I would certainly seal the lids with LavaLock to keep creepy crawlies out as much as possible. YMMV

I had a four legged visitor and invested in these.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/841678881/
And the grease church plug
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1057299542/

Pretty cheap and have not had a return visit. I will say the grease chute plug is a challenge. Manufacturing variation means the plug needs some help staying in place.

Edit: I have never lived in Az nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn express last night 🤣 just trying to add ways of keeping things out of you grill.

Last edited:
I live in TX and don't use a cover. It is protected by an overhang, but no cover for 2-years and as long as I wipe it down once in a while, it still cleans up like new. Rain has not been a problem in the pellet hopper either. I find those covers to be nothing but a big PIA!

I lived in Tucson for 3 years and offer the following:

- Never, ever, ever, assume you are safe. There are many things (scorpions, snakes, spiders, gila monsters, horned desert lizards, and the like) that want you dead, lol. Just when you think you can go have fun, enter a wild Javelina or two, and a den of coyotes crossing your property. YMMV, but I was up against the open areas of the desert on one side and the mountains on the other and the critter count was amazing. If you are permitted, a good old Crosman 760 or similar pellet gun will be your best friend for your eradication program. They pack a wallop and don’t annoy the neighbors.

- The cover may not function as you hope. True, the rain is minimal, until the monsoons hit, but sun damage will make you feel like your investment was wasted. Not many metal treatments can survive the UV levels of AZ beating on it for prolonged periods of time. Instead of the RT cover, you may want to consider a cover made of wood that can be placed above the chamber. As an alternative, you can buy a heavy duty blanket (think about saving one of your moving blankets) that you can periodically treat with repellent and keep some of the smaller visitors away. I don’t recommend placing your smoker/grill in your garage or other enclosed area that has immediate access to the house as you may be inviting visitors, especially lizards and mice, that are incredibly fast, to invade your space.

- Enjoy the desert!!! It may take a little time to adjust but you won’t find anything like the desert southwest for some of the most beautiful views, smells, sunsets and hiking opportunities in the USA.

Just my thoughts.

Here in Wisconsin I use a felt like welding blanket when it's cooler out to help with maintaining temps, and I cover it with the RecTeq cover. The welding blanket might be the way to go.

I have lived in AZ for 30 years. Most homes here have covered patios including mine. I keep my Rec Teq on the patio with no cover and wheel it to the edge of the patio when in use. A cover would help with the dust we get because of how dry it is. A covered grill in the open sun is going to need a new cover often and it will be a hiding spot for bugs. In the suburbs snakes are usually not a problem. Best thing I have ever done was moving here.

I live here in the Valley of the Sun and yes, I use a cover. It depends on where you are moving to in Arizona. If you are in the city or suburbs you will mostly be seeing scorpions (I have not had 1 scorpion where I live in 27yrs), If you are moving to the edge of the suburbs then there are many things to worry about, snakes, scorpions, coyote, javelina, gila monsters (southern Arizona), black widows, and many other things. It is about the landscaping that you choose and what the critters like to hide in (stay away from those things). Cats keep the scorpions away (I personally do not have a cat but there are many in our neighborhood). I am a stickler to have the house sprayed every 6 weeks for bugs and it has worked. My wife always tells me that if she sees 1 scorpion that we are moving, so 27 years where are still here. Welcome to the Valley of the Sun.

I live here in the Valley of the Sun and yes, I use a cover. It depends on where you are moving to in Arizona. If you are in the city or suburbs you will mostly be seeing scorpions (I have not had 1 scorpion where I live in 27yrs), If you are moving to the edge of the suburbs then there are many things to worry about, snakes, scorpions, coyote, javelina, gila monsters (southern Arizona), black widows, and many other things. It is about the landscaping that you choose and what the critters like to hide in (stay away from those things). Cats keep the scorpions away (I personally do not have a cat but there are many in our neighborhood). I am a stickler to have the house sprayed every 6 weeks for bugs and it has worked. My wife always tells me that if she sees 1 scorpion that we are moving, so 27 years where are still here. Welcome to the Valley of the Sun.
We’re gonna be in N Phoenix and more specifically, the Carefree Crossing community. It’s basically off I-17 and carefree Hwy, but I’m sure you have a pretty good idea. I’m hoping it’s an area that doesn’t have a lot of the wildlife that we prefer not to have in our yard. I plan to spray myself. While the bottle says every 3 months or so, I’d rather spray more often than not.

We’re gonna be in N Phoenix and more specifically, the Carefree Crossing community. It’s basically off I-17 and carefree Hwy, but I’m sure you have a pretty good idea. I’m hoping it’s an area that doesn’t have a lot of the wildlife that we prefer not to have in our yard. I plan to spray myself. While the bottle says every 3 months or so, I’d rather spray more often than not.
That is for sure wildlife area, just stay alert and be on the lookout for critters.

Yeah, you are definitely in a wildlife area. But, really, it isn't the jungle some make it out to be. Spray and avoid vegitation where things hide. The sun is intense, but my issue is with the dust. We get dust storms here and just wind in general that coats everything with dust. So I like having mine covered

I wouldn't worry too much about rattlesnakes. We live in the Mojave and right behind our property is tens of thousands of Acres of raw desert. Our next door neighbor, several hundred feet away, has seen one rattler in the many years he has lived here. Most folks, like us, have never seen one. You will likely see scorpion send the occasional tarantula. Biggest threat is coyotes and large birds to your small dogs.
A cover keeps the desert off of your smoker.

I wouldn't worry too much about rattlesnakes. We live in the Mojave and right behind our property is tens of thousands of Acres of raw desert. Our next door neighbor, several hundred feet away, has seen one rattler in the many years he has lived here. Most folks, like us, have never seen one. You will likely see scorpion send the occasional tarantula. Biggest threat is coyotes and large birds to your small dogs.
A cover keeps the desert off of your smoker.
We have a 10 pounder and I'll be going out EVERY TIME he has to go to the bathroom. With the coyotes, bobcats etc. I'm gonna do everything I can to protect him.

I have lived in Sedona Az area since 1976 , I own a pest control company .
On my .5 acre , I have killed around 350 scorpions in 2.5 seasons , yes , that's right 350 scorpions at night with a black light.
No , I did not kill them with the black light , that's how I found them , then I sprayed them using my backpack sprayer .

One thing to watch out for , sometimes paper wasp will build a nest inside the lid , so , open slowly and look .
If you see one , close slowly and fire up the grill :)(y)

Last edited:
I have lived in Sedona Az area since 1976 , I own a pest control company .
On my .5 acre , I have killed around 350 scorpions in 2.5 seasons , yes , that's right 350 scorpions at night with a black light.
No , I did not kill them with the black light , that's how I found them , then I sprayed them using my backpack sprayer .

One thing to watch out for , sometimes paper wasp will build a nest inside the lid , so , open slowly and look .
If you see one , close slowly and fire up the grill :)(y)

I bought a backpack sprayer that I’ve yet to use, but will be putting it to good use down there.

If you want to scare yourself silly, buy a black light. :rolleyes: If there are scorpions in the area, it will definitely find them for you.:ROFLMAO:

I lived in Scottsdale some years back and never saw a rattlesnake, scorpion or other nasty critter. I did. however, watch where I stepped and where I put my hands. I think you'll be fine. Just keep a leash on the 10# pup.

They have, or had, nighttime scorpion hunts at Kodachrome State Park not far from Bryce. The rangers hand out black lights and folks get to see them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back