For those of you with dedicated griddles...

BNeal

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So, I plan to build an outdoor kitchen this coming spring, but still trying to figure out the appliances I want. For those of you with dedicated griddles, are you using it to the extent you thought you would? Are you glad you made the purchase?

I am considering purchasing a higher-end built-in gas grill, and then picking up a full-sized griddle top for it. I just picked up a new RT1250, so I'm thinking a really nice large surface grill and a griddle insert should suit my needs. Or should I go with the stand-alone griddle and grill? I want to add a bar onto the kitchen, so I'm afraid both grill and griddle will eat up a lot of real estate.

Thoughts?

It really depends on what, and how, you like to cook and for how many people. I have a 36” Blackstone and I used to cook on it several times a week. Now that we are empty nesters, I don’t use it nearly as much as I once did. I bought the recteq griddle for the Bullseye thinking it would allow me to get rid of the Blackstone-big mistake. Storing the insert and dragging it out when I wanted to use it was more trouble than it was worth. Plus, an insert on a pellet grill means the grill is going to run full-on if you cook with the lid open, as the controller will be trying to get the grill back to set temp, whatever that temp is. Of course this won‘t be an issue with an insert on a gas grill.

I know this doesn’t help much, but based on what I have seen posted here, most people who have a flattop tend to keep using them.

It really depends on what, and how, you like to cook and for how many people. I have a 36” Blackstone and I used to cook on it several times a week. Now that we are empty nesters, I don’t use it nearly as much as I once did. I bought the recteq griddle for the Bullseye thinking it would allow me to get rid of the Blackstone-big mistake. Storing the insert and dragging it out when I wanted to use it was more trouble than it was worth. Plus, an insert on a pellet grill means the grill is going to run full-on if you cook with the lid open, as the controller will be trying to get the grill back to set temp, whatever that temp is. Of course this won‘t be an issue with an insert on a gas grill.

I know this doesn’t help much, but based on what I have seen posted here, most people who have a flattop tend to keep using them.
Thanks, Greg. We are empty nesters too. Although I think I would use one, I am reluctant for all the reasons you mentioned. Actually the guy at the pro-grill store is telling me he would rather have the griddle than a gas grill. But he is coming from working in the restaurant biz all his life where all they have is a griddles and 1200 degree broilers. But I don't think I'm ready to go the route of having no grill either.

I have a dedicated flat top in my outdoor kitchen. It’s a blackstone 24” (I think that’s the size). Love it. Also have a wolf gas grille with sear station along with Rec Tec bull a dedicated burner and a oven

Attachments

• F1A3A029-8FE9-4BA3-BF49-D64108DE9A34.jpeg
    F1A3A029-8FE9-4BA3-BF49-D64108DE9A34.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
  • 4E12131D-55E7-42CD-943B-F537DF4EDF4F.jpeg
    4E12131D-55E7-42CD-943B-F537DF4EDF4F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 0853B774-3C67-455C-9F9C-0EB4D9523AF5.jpeg
    0853B774-3C67-455C-9F9C-0EB4D9523AF5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 97
I have the 30" Blackstone 3 burner. We are empty nesters also and if something happened to it I would replace it tomorrow. Not sure I would get the same exact one since myself and others I know have had warping issues but I would absolutely have another flattop in my toolbox.

It is one of those things you can get away with but find so many uses for once you have it and can't live without. Good luck with your build!

I have the 36” Blackstone and cannot live without it. Everyone I show it too they order one soon after. The clean up is stupid easy and it is a great appliance for out door cooling/grilling.
If I were to do a custom outdoor kitchen I would probably upgrade to a large stainless high end built in model.

I have a 36” blackstone, an RT-700, a kamado Joe and a 42” gas grill and that’s the order they get used. Blackstone is the workhorse followed by the bull. I like cooking on the kamado Joe the most because who doesn’t like playing with fire. But it’s time too consuming on week nights. That’s why we bought the bull, so we can cook quicker meals during the week. The gasser NEVER gets used. If it wasn’t built into my outdoor kitchen I would sell it. If I ever build another house the outdoor kitchen will have a 36” griddle, a kamado Joe and probably a pellet pooper.

Add me to the list of having a lot of toys. And having those facts, I would recommend a stand-alone griddle for sure.

I have a RT-700, Green Egg, Large Gasser and a Blackstone 36. The ranking on use for me is as follows... BGE, Griddle, RT700 and the very occasional gasser. I have 4 kids in the house so i do think the empty nester versus cooking for six is a variable to be considered. But for me - Mine breaks down as follows:

BGE - Steaks, Fresh Ground Beef Burgers, Chicken Breasts, Pizzas, Loins and sometimes Ribs.
Blackstone - Breakfast - Any type of eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc. - Frozen Burgers, Cheesesteaks, Fried Rice, Fajitas and sandwiches like thick grilled cheese, ruebens, patty melts, etc.
RT700 - Butts, Briskets, Prime Rib, Ribs, Wings, and sides with those meals.
Gasser - only quick meals... e.g. week day 60 mins or less to cook and eat. So - burgers, chicken breasts. One thing i do occassionally do in the summer is fresh burgers where i make hand cut fries in a cast iron pot on the side burner. Kids love the fresh cut fries (think fries from Five Guys).

With this in mind... our Blackstone 36 gets lot of use. And I am absolutely certain i would use it more if i kept it outside in an outdoor kitchen.

And now... if i had to get rid of one i would for sure get rid of the gasser. The way life seems to work these days if i plan a meal for the family - I cook and we eat at home. So we use the BGE/Griddle/RT. If i don't plan it thinking we do will something quick - we tend to eat some type of "out" - like going or getting take out/door dash, etc. So - the gasser gets used the least by a long shot. A terrible ROI for what i invested in a very nice gasser.

My vote... i would love to have an outdoor kitchen with my RT built in... my BGE built in, a griddle and fridge (and a kegerator - even though you didn't ask. ha ha).

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Looks like I'll be adding a griddle to the lineup!

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Looks like I'll be adding a griddle to the lineup!

It truly compliments all your cooking. I wanted one for a while and just could not imagine not having one now. If mine broke today I would get another tomorrow no hesitation. Just not sure I would get a Blackstone again.

You definitely won't regret it. I just regretted that It took so long to convince myself I needed one;)

Like others have said, I use mine all of the time and if you peruse Youtube, you will find a TON of ideas you may not have thought of before. In my opinion, a flat top is worth it's price for sure.

I have to admit.... I was reading this thread and saw that they offer a combo 36" cooktop with integrated air fryer. I might just have to join the party on this.

Anyone know if the air fryer version is any good? I frankly have a good old-fashioned commercial oil fryer that is great...except for cleanup.

If you don't need a lot of space a Lodge square stove top griddle is nice to have for one or two folks. Works on grills too. Another solution is the flat griddle plates from Grill Grates that doubles as quick defrost plates.

I have Grill Grates that can be turned upside down to work as flat griddles for some things like searing steaks and burgers.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back