Stampede The sacrifices I make for you guys.....

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Maybe some of you have seen the Griddle Hack device for pellet grilles. I've got a few griddles to choose from, but the lure of one for the RT was just too strong. What I liked about this one was the funnel down to the firebox so that the heat is concentrated to the bottom of the griddle rather that relying on hot, convection air. And given that it's got a box like structure with the "funnel" welded around the edges, and a V brace welded down the center it shouldn't have the same distortion issues the cheaper single layer/sheet units, like RT offers, have when heated. It require the grates, drip pan, and diffuser be removed for it to fit properly. In the picture I don't have the leveling adjusters installed, nor the grease trough extension as I was only doing a burn in to clean off any contaminants and doing a temp check with the IR to see what it does rather than what it's claimed to do. It's fair size at 17.25 wide and 16.25 deep (not counting the grease trough), won't feed an army, but a small family or couple should be happy with it. The design configuration requires it be centered, so there's space on either side. In the Stampede/590 it's a bit over 6 inches each side left open, which, as luck would have it, leaves room for a couple grill grates for added surface area, say as a keep warm area or for toasting buns or such.

Following the manufacturer instructions to start I set the target temp at 350. As a bonus I started getting progress messages on my phone that I hadn't seen before. I must be set up for push updates as my iPhone has version 1.6.2 loaded which I didn't initiate. Interesting. Within 15 minutes, with the lid closed, the grill was at set temp and the griddle, read with the IR, was at about 410 in the very center (fist size area) and then about 370-375 in each of the four corner areas. Plenty hot for typical grilling of sausages, eggs, potatoes and the like. If you leave the lid open it stays in that range for awhile, though the PID probably gets a little confused. After about 5 minutes open it started to climb and at 15 minutes with the lid open the center spot was over 500 and the corner areas in the mid and a bit higher 450ish range. Good for searing, but probably tough for the foods above from a control standpoint, and would likely ruin pancakes. The caveat here is I only did the one round of experimenting as I'm also doing a cook on another grill at the same time and didn't want to get too carried away with the griddle testing. At this point it looks like open lid/close lid to help the fuel feed keep the temps in a relatively steady range...………..but, more playing may change my observation.

This unit is the same one they recommend for the Bull/700 so probably would operate similarly, though I can imagine the added interior volume might make a slight change in reaction times. Since the Bull is only 6 inches wider, and the griddle would be centered, there won't be enough additional space for any more grill grates as fillers if you choose to do that.

Once I start cooking on it there will likely be some follow up commentary. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm thinking this might be an interesting component of a further hack for pizza cooking. They make a metal tent like add on piece to convert this to a pizza cooker, but one, it's kinda pricey on top of this being kinda pricey at $150, and two, a thin metal "ceiling" isn't going to do much for putting high heat to the top of a pizza. It probably would be okay for the reheat kinda pizza like a DiGiorno or a Papa Murphy, those are made for convection cooking unlike "real" pizza dough and toppings. I'm envisioning making a box from fire brick for the sides and two pizza stones, one on the griddle surface and one as a ceiling. Given that it easily got to mid 500s, with some heat soak time I might be able to get around 600ish in the make shift oven. Again, It will be fun to play with when I make time to do those things.

griddle hack 01.jpg

Thank you Uncle Bob. Please keep us updated on your testing. I have looked at these and cannot decide whether to pull the trigger or not. I would like a Blackstone but don't have the room for it. Tried a couple different griddles and not really happy with either. Is it worth removing grates, drip pan, etc. every time you want to use it? Your opinions and efforts are truly appreciated!

Maybe some of you have seen the Griddle Hack device for pellet grilles. I've got a few griddles to choose from, but the lure of one for the RT was just too strong. What I liked about this one was the funnel down to the firebox so that the heat is concentrated to the bottom of the griddle rather that relying on hot, convection air. And given that it's got a box like structure with the "funnel" welded around the edges, and a V brace welded down the center it shouldn't have the same distortion issues the cheaper single layer/sheet units, like RT offers, have when heated. It require the grates, drip pan, and diffuser be removed for it to fit properly. In the picture I don't have the leveling adjusters installed, nor the grease trough extension as I was only doing a burn in to clean off any contaminants and doing a temp check with the IR to see what it does rather than what it's claimed to do. It's fair size at 17.25 wide and 16.25 deep (not counting the grease trough), won't feed an army, but a small family or couple should be happy with it. The design configuration requires it be centered, so there's space on either side. In the Stampede/590 it's a bit over 6 inches each side left open, which, as luck would have it, leaves room for a couple grill grates for added surface area, say as a keep warm area or for toasting buns or such.

Following the manufacturer instructions to start I set the target temp at 350. As a bonus I started getting progress messages on my phone that I hadn't seen before. I must be set up for push updates as my iPhone has version 1.6.2 loaded which I didn't initiate. Interesting. Within 15 minutes, with the lid closed, the grill was at set temp and the griddle, read with the IR, was at about 410 in the very center (fist size area) and then about 370-375 in each of the four corner areas. Plenty hot for typical grilling of sausages, eggs, potatoes and the like. If you leave the lid open it stays in that range for awhile, though the PID probably gets a little confused. After about 5 minutes open it started to climb and at 15 minutes with the lid open the center spot was over 500 and the corner areas in the mid and a bit higher 450ish range. Good for searing, but probably tough for the foods above from a control standpoint, and would likely ruin pancakes. The caveat here is I only did the one round of experimenting as I'm also doing a cook on another grill at the same time and didn't want to get too carried away with the griddle testing. At this point it looks like open lid/close lid to help the fuel feed keep the temps in a relatively steady range...………..but, more playing may change my observation.

This unit is the same one they recommend for the Bull/700 so probably would operate similarly, though I can imagine the added interior volume might make a slight change in reaction times. Since the Bull is only 6 inches wider, and the griddle would be centered, there won't be enough additional space for any more grill grates as fillers if you choose to do that.

Once I start cooking on it there will likely be some follow up commentary. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm thinking this might be an interesting component of a further hack for pizza cooking. They make a metal tent like add on piece to convert this to a pizza cooker, but one, it's kinda pricey on top of this being kinda pricey at $150, and two, a thin metal "ceiling" isn't going to do much for putting high heat to the top of a pizza. It probably would be okay for the reheat kinda pizza like a DiGiorno or a Papa Murphy, those are made for convection cooking unlike "real" pizza dough and toppings. I'm envisioning making a box from fire brick for the sides and two pizza stones, one on the griddle surface and one as a ceiling. Given that it easily got to mid 500s, with some heat soak time I might be able to get around 600ish in the make shift oven. Again, It will be fun to play with when I make time to do those things.

View attachment 4564
And that’s why you are Uncle Bob. Thanks. ??

A little Saturday morning breakfast adventure (not much). Yesterday I put on the leveling bolts and put just a slight tilt to the front and right for grease run off to the extender that hits right at the grease port on the 590. On a 700 would probably be a tad toward the front.

griddle hack 02.jpg

Shredded up a spud for hash browning and then fired up the Stampede. A little over 10 minutes (actually lost a couple minutes before that because I remote started and didn't realize I'd left the lid up). Griddle temps were in the low to mid 400s when I tossed on the potato pile. The pic was taken just after I flipped them at about the 10-12 minute mark.

griddle hack 03.jpg

Once the food was on, the temps stabilized fairly evenly across the surface, 430-440. Once the spuds got golden on the other side I cleared the griddle and dropped on 4 eggs. No pic for two reasons. One, even though my runoff tilt was slight it was a tad too much for the fresh dropped eggs so they started to run to the right a bit, two, at that temp the eggs were cooking quickly and I didn't want to take time to shoot a pic and ruin the eggs. For a first cook on unfamiliar hardware I'm fairly happy. Next cook of this sort I'll have a better feel. However, smash burgers will be the next thing, and since I grind my own to 75/25 I'll probably need the current tilt for the melted fat runoff.

As for the griddle itself even though they preseason it I also did a season coat at initial burn in. Then today I used a mix of avocado oil and melted butter as a pour on lube. Neither the spuds nor the eggs stuck so that was good. It's almost completely cooled now and no sign of warping, so the quality build appearance has delivered. Some might think these to be very pricey, but this appears to be a "you get what you pay for" thing.

Excellent post. When are you available to hook up my Bull? I'll do your advertising and together, your skill, materials and know how and my, eh, whatever, we will rule the griddle market. World domination. Nice job, really. ??

Excellent post. When are you available to hook up my Bull? I'll do your advertising and together, your skill, materials and know how and my, eh, whatever, we will rule the griddle market. World domination. Nice job, really. ??

Did you remember to take your meds this morning? :ROFLMAO:

As mentioned above, the next cook was smash burger. Turned out just fine. Buns toasted nice, the onion got a nice char on it and softened nicely while holding it's original shape fairly well, and the burgers got decent crust and just a hint of smoke flavor. Next time I might crank the temp up just a bit more and shoot for more crust if it's able. These were good eats. The drain off worked as needed so I'll have to figure if it's worth it to adjust depending on what's cooked...…...probably will because, that's what I do. Again, no sign of warping. Oh, and the grill grate off to the right never got above 250 degrees which was fine by me. My bride likes a smaller (thinner the way I do them, gotta cover the bun completely) burger so hers got done first and held nicely off on the side there while the cheese melted.

griddle hack 04.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back