Bull For the Hot and Fast guys - Pork Butt - 300*? - 325*? - 350*????

Freedom Forged

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I have only low and slow experience with Butt's. I want to try hot and fast as an experiment. What temp do you guys use when cooking hot and fast?
Thanks all
David

I have only low and slow experience with Butt's. I want to try hot and fast as an experiment. What temp do you guys use when cooking hot and fast?
Thanks all
David
350 for about 3 hrs, foil, then about 2 more. Let it rest as long as you can. I try 2 hrs in a cooler. You should be good to go.

With as little smoke as the pellet grills put out above 275F, either do it low and slow in the pellet grill or as mentioned, use a wood/charcoal smoker.

But there's one more option, if you need smoked pulled pork and you don't care how you get it. Put one raw butt/shoulder in a 1/2 restaurant size tray, cover with foil, set that on a cookie sheet in your oven to catch any overflow, set the temperature to any temperature you like to produce the speed you are after. I would caution against temperatures above 450F. But 350F or even 400F will work just fine. Cook it until truly probe tender, remove from the oven and let it cool if you have time. If not, pull/shred it right away using heavy rubber gloves for heat protection. Put the shredded meat in a tray, put it on you smoker (charcoal/wood at 500F if you have one) and smoke the meat, turning every 20 minutes or so. You can add broth (chicken broth works as it's bland, or buy some pork broth concentrate to keep around or use the clarified drippings) with some rub in it to season it throughout and keep it moist as you like. I've catered a number of parties with this method when I worked and was pinched for time.
20220324_093827.jpg

So this is what I thought I would experiment with....
On the 680 on "Low" (Max Smoke) for about an hour, then following bbqallday80's process above. Maybe I get the smoke and the speed. Won't know till I try.

Last edited:
On the the 680 on "Low" (Max Smoke) for about an hour, then following bbqallday80's process above. Maybe I get the smoke and the speed. Won't know till I try.
The great thing about bbq is there is no right and wrong way to get to the end. As long as you're happy with the end product, that's all that matters. Experimenting is what keeps a lot of us interested.

Harry Soo uses his oven to finish cook after he wraps, when cooking at home. For now, electricity (or natural gas) is cheaper than charcoal, wood, or pellets.

Regardless of how you do it, or how long it takes, keep cooking it until it probes tender. It's done when the meat tells you it's done, not when the clock passes a time, nor necessarily when a temperature is reached (especially with Hot n Fast).

With Hot n Fast pit temperatures, the meat core temperature can reach temperatures you are used to seeing align with probe tender in tough cuts like pork butt and brisket (203F for example), and still not be tender. This is because the collagen that holds the muscle together and makes it tough needs temperature and time to render. With Hot n Fast pit temperatures, the meat core temperature will rise much faster. So, you will have to still wait for collagen to render. With a Hot n Fast pit temp, I've seen 210 or higher before the meat probed tender. The higher your pit temp, the higher the probe tender temperatures you'll see.

On the the 680 on "Low" (Max Smoke) for about an hour, then following bbqallday80's process above. Maybe I get the smoke and the speed. Won't know till I try.
Hot and fast can make some good bbq. Like @Roaniecowpony said, there’s no right or wrong way to cook, it’s all about enjoying the time with family and friends. Hot and fast works for me cause I want good q but not have to sit and mess with the fire as long. I learned from Myron and haven’t looked back. I do have to work with my disabilities and have learned shortcuts. Even on here I’m back on my pellet smoker from great tips people gave. Give it a try and see what you think. Have fun with it. Thanks

As has been mentioned, there’s no “right way” to do BBQ. There are some time-tested procedures that give a better chance of good results, however.

The OP had noted that he wanted to “experiment” with the “hot and fast” approach to doing pork butt and it will be interesting how it turns out. Who knows, this could turn out to be a great way to do it—or, not. As long as it is approached as an “experiment,” I don’t see any down side beyond the possibility of learning that it may not be the best approach.

Go for it!

On the Big Green Egg and the Bull I’ve always cooked at 275F wrapped at 160F and pulled at 200-205. Let rest for an hour and it’s always great.

Man I thought when I do mine at 275 I was doing hot and fast. 😜 As was already mentioned some of the meat takes some time to get tender but 275 seems to work pretty good for me in getting the meat tender throughout. I am sure 225 all day would be even better but I usually don’t want to spend that much time on it. I also put two smoke tubes in there and get pretty good smoke flavor (at least to me and fam). I might crank up to 300 or even 325 but only at the very end and if I didn’t plan well enough. I have not tried wrapping them might have to try that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back