Stampede The RecTeq phone app and an overNight cook on the 590

Marshall

Military Veteran
I want do an overnight cook on my 590. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this other than filling the pellet hopper all the way to the top? Is there anything I should do in the app to alert me to problems?

I will be doing a 9 pound Boston Butt overnight starting at about 9 PM due to the timing of when the meat needs to be ready. The basic plan is to fill the hopper and set the temp to 225 and then pull when the internal temp is at 203. I will let it rest as long as needed to finish out my timing.

This will be my first long cook and my first overnight cook so I'm looking for things I need to do to ensure I don't encounter problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

I have done at least 20 overnight cooks for briskets and pork butts. I usually put some wood chips on the heat deflector to add some extra smoke flavor and make sure I have my phone nearby to alert me if there is a loss in temperature. This could be caused by a pellet bridge or a loss of power. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems.

I usually start the cook a little earlier and at a lower temperature, 200 degrees. I find that that just adds some additional smoke.

I want do an overnight cook on my 590. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this other than filling the pellet hopper all the way to the top? Is there anything I should do in the app to alert me to problems?

I will be doing a 9 pound Boston Butt overnight starting at about 9 PM due to the timing of when the meat needs to be ready. The basic plan is to fill the hopper and set the temp to 225 and then pull when the internal temp is at 203. I will let it rest as long as needed to finish out my timing.

This will be my first long cook and my first overnight cook so I'm looking for things I need to do to ensure I don't encounter problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
You will have over 20hrs of pellet supply, so no worries there. You can set the app for temp extremes high or low using the meat probes. Just make sure your smoker is in an open space away from overhangs and flammables. That the drip pan is clean and grease bucket empty. I also put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in the grease bucket to avoid grease fires but at low/slow temps should not be a threat. Would also be nice if no rain is forecast. If you have a high overhang on a porch, you can probably cook there if rain is forecast.

I have done at least 20 overnight cooks for briskets and pork butts. I usually put some wood chips on the heat deflector to add some extra smoke flavor and make sure I have my phone nearby to alert me if there is a loss in temperature. This could be caused by a pellet bridge or a loss of power. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems.

I usually start the cook a little earlier and at a lower temperature, 200 degrees. I find that that just adds some additional smoke.
How do I set alerts for loss of temperature? So far all I have seen is alerts for the meat reaching my preferred internal temp.
You will have over 20hrs of pellet supply, so no worries there. You can set the app for temp extremes high or low using the meat probes. Just make sure your smoker is in an open space away from overhangs and flammables. That the drip pan is clean and grease bucket empty. I also put a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in the grease bucket to avoid grease fires but at low/slow temps should not be a threat. Would also be nice if no rain is forecast. If you have a high overhang on a porch, you can probably cook there if rain is forecast.
Thanks Okie. I have rain forecast for Saturday night which is when I wanted to do it. But now I am planning on Friday night. I have plenty of pellets so I’ll do a hipper fill up beforehand.

If I am following you correctly I can use one of the probes to monitor the pit temp and set a high and a low alarm on it. The other will be used in the meat.

You don’t need to set high or low temp alerts on the app. It’ll let you know if the temps go too high or low from the set temp. If you want double protection from high temps you can add a probe and set a high temp notification (like 350-400). The main thing is to make sure you have notifications turned on and may set the volume high enough to wake you if there is a problem. Like @Dr.Floyd I’ve done dozens of overnight cooks without any problems. When I wake up in the middle of the night for my nightly walk I always check my phone. It’s never been a problem.

I sometimes go out during bathroom calls and spritz, sometimes not.

in the FWIW category… I do not take my phone into the bedroom, I don’t want to know every time it varies by 10 degrees or whatever it is. If I were new to this I would take it with me and see how it goes. I get up often enough to keep n eye on it without the alarms.

I can’t add much to what has already been said. I’ve done my share of overnight cooks. I make sure the hopper is full, but other than that I let it ride. I put my Bull in the backyard away from anything so I don’t worry about burning the town down. I’m a light sleeper in general, so I keep my phone on silent. I wake up enough through the night, check the app, then relax and try to go back to sleep. Being your first overnight cook, I suspect you’ll be sleeping light worries about the smoker as well. I do also recommend starting at 180 to get some extra smoke, then bump it up before you go to bed. I would start it a little earlier than planned, as the stall can be stressful when you’re up against a specific time. Once done, butts hold really well wrapped up in a cooler with some towels. Better to be done a little early than have everybody waiting on you. I speak from experience. 😂

The RT phone app notifications are not constant nor can you change the type of alert tone, if you miss it when it goes off it's not gonna go off again "unless I just haven't figured that out". I'd use external probes like many of us do here, I only use the RT probes during the day and when I'm attentive and not busy. Also I recommend cooking a shoulder to 195 internal and not above 200 "and a minimum wrapped 4 hour rest", I have smoked more pork shoulders over the years than I care to try and figure out, and the shoulder blade bone always slides right out and clean and the meat is ridiculously juicy. :) Good luck, let us all know how it goes!!

The RT phone app notifications are not constant nor can you change the type of alert tone, if you miss it when it goes off it's not gonna go off again "unless I just haven't figured that out". I'd use external probes like many of us do here, I only use the RT probes during the day and when I'm attentive and not busy. Also I recommend cooking a shoulder to 195 internal and not above 200 "and a minimum wrapped 4 hour rest", I have smoked more pork shoulders over the years than I care to try and figure out, and the shoulder blade bone always slides right out and clean and the meat is ridiculously juicy. :) Good luck, let us all know how it goes!!
Thanks for that warning. After buying the 590, extra probes are not in the budget. I may have to resort to a GoFundMe or hope for a gift or something. LOL.

Thanks for that warning. After buying the 590, extra probes are not in the budget. I may have to resort to a GoFundMe or hope for a gift or something. LOL.
GoFundMe is nothing to joke about. There are people with serious needs. I'm setting one up myself because my 3-year-old Tesla needs new shoes. Care to contribute?

Thermopro has a wired probe (wireless) set-up https://buythermopro.com/product/tp28/ Not sure if price is lower on Amazon or not but List price on ThermoPro is $70.00. There is a little round door on the 590 next to the hopper that accommodates the wires. Really robust and has a very long range. Been using this for at least seven years.

I'm with Motodad here. I don't go over 200 and 195 works perfect for me as well. At 203 the meat changes texture (IMHO). Brisket 203? Yes! Pork 203? No.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back