Stampede Temperature Difference

tqn626

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey all, been doing some temp test. My temperature is about 25 degrees hotter on the right side (opposite of the hopper). Is there any trick/fix you guys recommend to stabilize the temperature across? I tried the water pan which helped a little bit.

Mine runs a little warmer on the right side also, about 10°. I just deal with it, not much you can do.

I think it’s pretty common. Especially after changing the internal temp. On a relatively calm day it should be within 5 or 10 degrees after you’ve had the temp set for a while IMO. It’s good that you’re monitoring the right side. Now you can adjust if desired.

Ah well, it not 5-10 degree is the problem. It more like 25-50 degrees. Was actually cooking two briskets and notice the one on the right blew past the stall. Started doing test temps.

My Trailblazer is the same. The right side is typically 25-30 +/- degrees hotter than the center or left side. So far, from a mechanical standpoint, that's been my biggest disappointment with the unit. I end up rotating my cook around halfway through to compensate some. So far, it hasn't made too big of a difference.

Which model do you have tqn? The exhaust side is usually the hottest. The downdraft exhaust
will help if available for your model.
https://shop.pelletgrillaccessories.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

I got the 590. Looks like heat mainly going to right side. I probably put something to obstruct airflow a little. I'm going to do more tests.

Mainly when i do brisket overnight is the issue, can't rotate if i'm not awake.

92694194_3011127042243570_7150172459579211776_n.jpg

My Stampede seems to be +/- 10 everywhere except the right rear corner. That was +20 or so the couple times I checked. It's pretty good 80% of the cooking zone. I can't allow that area to stress me out.

After messing around with it a bunch. I got the temp to be within 5-10 degrees. I obstructed the right side of the shield with 2 inch of foil.

1587849285991.png

Just tested mine right now. Set point is 225. Pit probe reads 224, I put a probe to the far left, grate height close to pit probe and it reads 209. Another probe to the far right and it reads 217. Not too bad...

Just tested mine right now. Set point is 225. Pit probe reads 224, I put a probe to the far left, grate height close to pit probe and it reads 209. Another probe to the far right and it reads 217. Not too bad...
Pretty close

I did the foil deflector thing on my traeger. I burned up most of a bag of pellets one saturday observing temp zones, moving deflectors, observing, ect. It's surprisingly effective.
I ended up not using them because all it did on my traeger was move the hot spot, I couldn't get the heat to dissipate across the barrel any better.
The 590 is damn good. Relax, have a home brew, enjoy the cook.

Update: Over the length of the cook, the temps would stay within 5 degrees of each other. I was surprised at the even heat distribution. Still don't why my cooks take much, much longer than they should. At least compared to everything I see and others cook times. Just proves to me (again) that I need to start earlier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back