Bull Temperature adjustment

jamorgan3777

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just put my new RT-700 through its paces this weekend. Burned through 20lb of pellets! Several observations and a couple of questions.

First, I was pleased by how stable this thing is. Truly set it and forget it.

Second, I was surprised by how bad the temperature calibration was out of the box. It was about 50-75 degrees off at the grate level (center) on my burn in. Held temps well, but they were just wrong. At first I was worried that it was going to be too big of a gap to fix, but I adjusted the "offset" to 10% and its almost spot on now at lower temps. Would be nice if they would put in a routine for a 2 (or even better yet multiple) point calibration.

Third, great flavor on the food. The smoke is subtle, but definitely there.

Fourth, the manual control and the app control sometime have issues communicating. Have not figured this out yet. If you stick with one or the other, it works pretty well. If you go between them (i.e. start on the cooker, then open the app and try to get in mid cook) it seems to lose its mind (the app mostly).

Did wings, burgers, brats, half chickens, and BB ribs over the course of 3 days and all were great. Need to continue to dial in the process for those and more (ie brisket and butts) but that will be the fun part!

I agree with the stability and subtle smoke. My family prefers the smoke profile from the Rec Teq over other smokers I’ve had.

My grill wasn’t very far off on temps so I didn’t mess with it.

As for the manual controls vs. app control I’ve found that the app doesn’t update when you make adjustments manually unless you close and re-open the app. It’s a bug I hope they fix one day but not holding my breath. The app doesn’t seem to be a very high priority for Rec Teq. Just wanted to let you know about the work around I use.

Enjoy the grill, it really does a great job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back