Bull Temp probe check mostly successful

kenglishpc

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did the ice water test with both meat probes and a known good ET-73 smoker probe. All three probes were within one degree of each other at 33-34 degrees. That's close enough for government work. So then I did a 250* test with the three probes and the built in pit probe. Here's where the differences appear. From left to right were, Pit probe, meat 1, ET-73, meat 2. Pit probe showed 250, Meat 1 at 238, Et-73 at 240, Meat 2 at 226. There was about 6 inches between the probes all along the centerline of the grill. Temp was stable for about 20 minutes when I observed the temps. 24* delta about 6 inches from the smoke stack from the pit probe.

Is this fairly normal? Each probe was about 1" off the grill surface in a Pit probe metal holder that comes with the ET-73's that clip onto the grill surface.

Yes, I drove myself crazy trying to perfect this a year ago.(not needed) You're doing it right, however, RecTec says to put the probe in the center of the grill. I would do that with all 3 of yours to get a more accurate reading since (I have the RT700) the left side runs a little cooler and the right a little warmer etc... And it uses various measurements for their algorithm and readout.
Also remember when you do go to adjust ,that the internal offset is in percent% and the meat probes are in degree° close is Good! Enjoy that smoker !
Internal temp(meat probes) with a back up.verification (you have that) is the way to go.
I think mine was 3% off.. .it was reading high. But I honestly can't remember the actual number now. Goodluck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back