Ambient temp thermometers to check pit probe

How many probes can fit thru the cooking chamber probe port hole?

LOL my wife is a much better cook than me but I slug through it and the results are pretty good.
@Mastertech59 I am leaving all the cooking up to my wife too. I am the setup and cleanup boy. LOL. Our main concern is finding more simple recipes than the ones in this site, the RT manual & web site, and in the FB groups. We don't care about smoke rings, searing, and rubs. We just mostly use just salt & pepper and some BBQ sauce. We also want that good grill taste like you get from charcoal or wood, not like what you get from a gas grill with no lava rocks. Also we want faster cook times, not like smoking something all day long. So with all that said and from what I have learned so far, we need low temp for smoke and higher temp to get the food to cook fast. I got us a 12' smoke tube if needed sometime. So if you or your wife have any simple recipes can you send to me by message or email? Just for simple things like chicken, steaks, hamburgers, and ribs. Don't have a clue what temp to set on so we get smoke and get done in a timely matter. We like medium hamburgers and medium rare for steaks. Thanks for any help.

@Mastertech59 I am leaving all the cooking up to my wife too. I am the setup and cleanup boy. LOL. Our main concern is finding more simple recipes than the ones in this site, the RT manual & web site, and in the FB groups. We don't care about smoke rings, searing, and rubs. We just mostly use just salt & pepper and some BBQ sauce. We also want that good grill taste like you get from charcoal or wood, not like what you get from a gas grill with no lava rocks. Also we want faster cook times, not like smoking something all day long. So with all that said and from what I have learned so far, we need low temp for smoke and higher temp to get the food to cook fast. I got us a 12' smoke tube if needed sometime. So if you or your wife have any simple recipes can you send to me by message or email? Just for simple things like chicken, steaks, hamburgers, and ribs. Don't have a clue what temp to set on so we get smoke and get done in a timely matter. We like medium hamburgers and medium rare for steaks. Thanks for any help.
We mostly don't use recipes it's more like a shoot from the hip especially with the Mrs. Hamburg's I might do a low smoke until they get to the 130 degrees than finish on my gasser or use the sear plates on the Bull to the doneness we like which is medium well. For steaks its pretty much the same but we finish to medium rare. Ribs I don't do the 321 I just put them on at 225 for about 4 to 5 hours and the last hour I raise the temperature to around 300 and sauce, they have a nice bite but not a fall off the bone, If we want that fall off the bone the Instant pot and broiler gets them done in under a hour. Chicken and wings I cook at 225 to 250 to start then 400 to finish using the dry it out in the refrigerator first and coat with baking powder and kosher salt method, nice crispy skin only apply sauce in the last 1/2 hour of the cook.

We mostly don't use recipes it's more like a shoot from the hip especially with the Mrs. Hamburg's I might do a low smoke until they get to the 130 degrees than finish on my gasser or use the sear plates on the Bull to the doneness we like which is medium well. For steaks its pretty much the same but we finish to medium rare. Ribs I don't do the 321 I just put them on at 225 for about 4 to 5 hours and the last hour I raise the temperature to around 300 and sauce, they have a nice bite but not a fall off the bone, If we want that fall off the bone the Instant pot and broiler gets them done in under a hour. Chicken and wings I cook at 225 to 250 to start then 400 to finish using the dry it out in the refrigerator first and coat with baking powder and kosher salt method, nice crispy skin only apply sauce in the last 1/2 hour of the cook.
WOW, thanks @Mastertech59. That is a big help. We like our ribs same way too. I don't like that fall off the bone stuff. Something else I have seen done in the videos is the pulling off that skin on ribs. I like the skin. LOL

The probe's are different mainly the food probes have a point on them the ambient probe doesn't and would be fixed inside the grill using a grate probe clip. They both have the same temperature ranges.
I like the Thermoworks Signals and almost bought one due to the 20% off sale they're running but the new Fireboard 2 looks like it does a lot more, they both measure pit and food temperatures have wifi and bluetooth. Yes the old Fireboard is out of stock but the version 2 is in stock.

Hmm...I didn't realize the Fireboard 2 was out. The new display addresses something I disliked about the original. And it supports more probes (6) than the Signals (4). However, it doesn't come with a full set of probes - kinda lame in my opinion.

Something to think about...

I don't want to come across like a geek but both of use the Google Assistant for lots of different things and being able to have it monitor and adjust the Fireboard is is a bonus IMHO.
Same here. We use Assistant every day. Certainly an advantage in their favor assuming it works well.

At the same time, the unit doesn't have built-in magnets and doesn't come with a full set of probes. They say they're coming out with a case that will have magnets, but that's gonna mean more $$ - along with likely having to buy a couple more probes.

Same here. We use Assistant every day. Certainly an advantage in their favor assuming it works well.

At the same time, the unit doesn't have built-in magnets and doesn't come with a full set of probes. They say they're coming out with a case that will have magnets, but that's gonna mean more $$ - along with likely having to buy a couple more probes.
The magnets in the case wasn't one of my must haves. The the Fireboard probes are a little less costly than the Thermoworks ones and Fireboard have more options for the probes thermistor or RTD too.

The probe's are different mainly the food probes have a point on them the ambient probe doesn't and would be fixed inside the grill using a grate probe clip. They both have the same temperature ranges.
I like the Thermoworks Signals and almost bought one due to the 20% off sale they're running but the new Fireboard 2 looks like it does a lot more, they both measure pit and food temperatures have wifi and bluetooth. Yes the old Fireboard is out of stock but the version 2 is in stock.View attachment 5544

Today turned out to be my WORSE Fireboard day ever.

Just got the FB2 had the FB 1 for 2 years checked things yesterday before my Sunday cook. Every thing went fine with set up. FB and my WiFI got along fine.
Today total complete opposite,my WiFi & FB are no longer friends.Screen telling me I need blue tooth to find the FB bluetooth did fine the FB but it wouldn't connect to my android phone or to my computer.The controller with the drive/fan cable plugged in, is showing temps.I only had the FB2 three days I'm ready to send it back.
Any one else have this same problem?Maybe I'll try and connect later when I calm down some.
Mean while I'm checking pit temps with my $49 Maverick.
The FB did come on but kept losing data?

Last edited:
Today turned out to be my WORSE Fireboard day ever.

Just got the FB2 had the FB 1 for 2 years checked things yesterday before my Sunday cook. Every went fine with set up. FB and my WiFI got along fine.
Today total complete opposite,my WiFi & FB are no longer friends.Screen telling me I need blue tooth to find the FB bluetooth did fine the FB but it wouldn't connect to my android phone or to my computer.The controller with the drive/fan cable plugged in, is showing temps.I only had the FB2 three days I'm ready to send it back.
Any one else have this same problem?Maybe I'll try and connect later when I calm down some.
Mean while I'm checking pit temps with my $49 Maverick.
The FB did come on but kept losing data?
Dan I'm sorry you're having this trouble with your new Fireboard version 2, your the first one I've seen to report these issues. The Fireboardi initially connects to bluetooth and then to wifi. It sounds very much like the samething you had getting your RT590 Stampede connected to your homes wifi. Give Fireboard a call and they will help you through it

Are these to monitor grill temps or food temps? I wanted one to double check if my pit ambient temperature probe was reading properly

Dan I'm sorry you're having this trouble with your new Fireboard version 2, your the first one I've seen to report these issues. The Fireboardi initially connects to bluetooth and then to wifi. It sounds very much like the samething you had getting your RT590 Stampede connected to your homes wifi. Give Fireboard a call and they will help you through it
Hi There are many posts on the Fireboard FaceBook about this same problem. I checked my WIFI strength it read excellent. :oops:
Thanks Dan
PS Seems like the RT problem all over again?(n)

Last edited:
Hi all Here is the E-mail answer I got from FB:
Hi Daniel,
We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with staying connected on your FireBoard. We can see that you have a Bluetooth connection, some of the time, but if you look at the attached chart, it shows that it was not a good signal. We are showing that you are not connected to Wifi and that is why you would not be seeing temps from the FireBoard. Once connected fully to Wifi, the Bluetooth connection won't matter.

Are you able to try and establish the Bluetooth connection as close to the Fireboard, then try to connect it to Wifi? See these pages here for more information: https://docs.fireboard.io/wifi/index.html

If you need additional assistance please give us a call and we can walk you through it.

Here is what I don't understand my controller outside my the WSM was reading perfect temps the whole time,but FB on my phone & computer was losing data and not connecting to my WiFi.

Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back