Ambient temp thermometers to check pit probe

Keleent

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
What is a decent and accurate ambient temp thermometer to double check the internal pit probe's accuracy? I watched the RecTec video and they just mention to use a thermometer you trust, and I've seen people use their Probe A and Probe B which seems to usually register high. Through some research i found that you shouldn't use those because they are meat thermometers and not ambient temperature thermometers.

The reason I ask to verify the probe temp is because I cooked some ribs for 6 hours unwrapped at 225 and the internal temp didn't even reach 190 by the end, then tonight I saw my internal temp probe show 32 degrees when its 75 degrees.

Unrelated, one of my meat probes showed a temp of 187 degrees when measuring ambient air. it somewhat fixed itself but it seems to jump up and down. It jumped around a bit from 28-34 degrees when it was in the ice water... which it shouldn't have been able to go down to 28..

There are multiple options depending what you're looking for. Are you interested in an instant-read to check meat temperatures once the RT probes get you in the ballparks? Or are you thinking of a remote thermometer with probes you can leave at the grate and/or in the meat and use to monitor the cook?

Thermoworks has something for just about any application, though some find them pricey. Other alternatives are available from Inkbird, Thermopro, Javelin, and others - again it depends what you want.

I have a couple inkbirds, thermowork, and Maverick. First one I grab is Inkbird

So is a wireless internal ambient temp thermometer the best to use so you can check with the lid down? Or a non wireless model and just raise the lid and check the temp?

It depends how much flexibility you want. There are units without a wireless remote, that still have a probe that goes inside the cooker and a display that stays outside. Or you can get one that has the wireless remote also.

Personally I'd prefer to get a reading without opening the cooker and letting the heat out. And I don't know if there are any digital units that you would leave in.

It depends how much flexibility you want. There are units without a wireless remote, that still have a probe that goes inside the cooker and a display that stays outside. Or you can get one that has the wireless remote also.

Personally I'd prefer to get a reading without opening the cooker and letting the heat out. And I don't know if there are any digital units that you would leave in.
Thanks @mooncusser2k. Would something like this work?

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

That's a popular unit which has it's own wireless remote display. You could do worse. They also sell less expensive units with no remote at all (for example, the DOT it Chef Alarm), or more expensive units with more probes and even WiFi and/or Bluetooth capabilities (for example, Signals).

All depends what you're looking for and want to spend.

That's a popular unit which has it's own wireless remote display. You could do worse. They also sell less expensive units with no remote at all (for example, the DOT it Chef Alarm), or more expensive units with more probes and even WiFi and/or Bluetooth capabilities (for example, Signals).

All depends what you're looking for and want to spend.
Thanks

Wireless meat probe
with no wires.
Screenshot_20200717-062544_Chrome.jpg

https://meater.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwm...eQZLUwZBJqTQLMubbO9ur2NUCYtsDBFxoCodoQAvD_BwE

I use either the DOT or Smoke. Most of the time I use my Smoke along with the app. They both are great, and of course a good instant read like the Thermapen.

What i meant was I just wanted to double check if my PIT probe sensor the one thats permanently mounted is accurate. I had the grill on for an hour at 350 with 3 of the meat probes in the middle and all 3 said 330. Rec tec guy on the phone said it was normal..

I've been looking at the Thermoworks Signals, 20% off sale right now or the Fireboard 2. I have the Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 and love it. The more I research and read the more I'm liking the Fireboard 2 or Fireboard 2 Drive over the Thermoworks Signals.
My must haves are bluetooth, wifi, able to control and set up with phone or laptop really don't want a separate remote display, weatherproof, long battery life and multiple probes.
What else is out there that you recommend??

I just ordered the Thermoworks Signals myself, in part because I already have their original Smoke and ChefAlarm along with a Thermapen MK4. I had the original Thermapen also and gifted it to my son-in-law, and I actually believe I prefer the original.

The ThermoWorks products share the same probes and they all pretty much function the same was the main reason I didn’t consider the Fireboard. That and the fact that I have had zero issues with any of the products.

I have a MK4 on order too. Will be here tomorrow. What do y'all think of this model? https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals. The Fireboard is out of stock. So is the ambient temp probe different than the food probe?
The probe's are different mainly the food probes have a point on them the ambient probe doesn't and would be fixed inside the grill using a grate probe clip. They both have the same temperature ranges.
I like the Thermoworks Signals and almost bought one due to the 20% off sale they're running but the new Fireboard 2 looks like it does a lot more, they both measure pit and food temperatures have wifi and bluetooth. Yes the old Fireboard is out of stock but the version 2 is in stock.
Screenshot_20200719-103725_Chrome.jpg

The probe's are different mainly the food probes have a point on them the ambient probe doesn't and would be fixed inside the grill using a grate probe clip. They both have the same temperature ranges.
I like the Thermoworks Signals and almost bought one due to the 20% off sale they're running but the new Fireboard 2 looks like it does a lot more, they both measure pit and food temperatures have wifi and bluetooth. Yes the old Fireboard is out of stock but the version 2 is in stock.View attachment 5544
Thanks @Mastertech59, I'm learning. Don't know how to cook too! Fun times ahead. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back