Stampede Temp Issues

Spronko

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I've had my 590 for 3 years. It has never been good with keeping correct temps and after a year of overcooking on long cooks I now always use two thermeters to keep correct temp. Usually if I set the rectec at 230 it will cook at 255-260. Today it was raining and I had to turn it down all the way to 200 in order to cook at 275-300. Anyway to fix this?

How’s the internal temp probe look? Some get bent too close to the grill body a give bogus readings, should be straight vertical.

I've had my 590 for 3 years. It has never been good with keeping correct temps and after a year of overcooking on long cooks I now always use two thermeters to keep correct temp. Usually if I set the rectec at 230 it will cook at 255-260. Today it was raining and I had to turn it down all the way to 200 in order to cook at 275-300. Anyway to fix this?
I do not have a 590 I have the 1250. In the app you can go to advance settings, select you called customer service, then you can change the temperature calibration for the smoker's internal temperature probe. The setting is a %, for example, if you have it set at 225 and it is running at 250 you can set it for +10% which should get you closer to 225. I found it not to be an exact science for this setting and I rarely exceed +5% on the setting. In the 1250 the temperature on the right side is always higher than the left side usually15-20 degrees hotter. I do not know what is common for the 590.

I do not have a 590 I have the 1250. In the app you can go to advance settings, select you called customer service, then you can change the temperature calibration for the smoker's internal temperature probe. The setting is a %, for example, if you have it set at 225 and it is running at 250 you can set it for +10% which should get you closer to 225. I found it not to be an exact science for this setting and I rarely exceed +5% on the setting. In the 1250 the temperature on the right side is always higher than the left side usually15-20 degrees hotter. I do not know what is common for the 590.
Thanks, I will give that some thought. My problem is that the temp differences are not consistent. In the rain today the difference was 80-90 degrees and it was constant. On sunny days its only 20-30. I have an email into support. Its just too bad that one of the most important parts of the system has issues like this. We shouldn't have to be messing with settings.

I know I am a broken record on this subject, but this is why I went with an external temperature measuring device. My ThermoWorks Signals has one ambient temperature probe and three protein probes. They are accurate to within a degree or two and I can easily make grill temperature adjustments manually.

Quite simply, I don't use any of the RT technology as, IME, it just doesn't work. I tried again yesterday to get my RT-340 to connect to the app--it wouldn't. This has been ongoing for two years so I just did a work-around. YMMV

Last edited:
I know I am a broken record on this subject, but this is why I went with an external temperature measuring device. My ThermoWorks Signals has one ambient temperature probe and three protein probes. They are accurate to within a degree or two and I can easily make grill temperature adjustments manually.

Quite simply, I don't use any of the RT technology as, IME, it just doesn't work. I tried again yesterday to get my RT-300 to connect to the app--it wouldn't. This has been ongoing for two years so I just did a work-around. YMMV
That's were I have been for the past 2 years as well. I use a thermowerks and another one I can't remember the brand. They work well and I don't trust the RT tech. Today was a problem because the difference was so great. Had I wanted to smoke at 225 I would have been out of luck. I had the RT set at 200 and was still rolling at 273. We moved awhile back and our ATT modem is 5g so I can't connect the app. I know I could probably get a work around but the grill is only 3 steps off the kitchen door so not a big deal. I was a RT fanboy the first year. I'm over it now.

Pellet feed rate can make a big difference, what are your current settings and have you ever performed any temp calibrations or feed rate adjustments at all, have you also contacted RT for troubleshooting except for the recent email you sent? If owning this grill for 3 years and living with how it operates over making adjustments or a few phone calls to tech support, that most certainly isn't the fault of the grill.......just sayin. Maybe you have done such things, but that information is unknown to us at this time. So you were a fanboy for the first year, and have been unhappy for the last 2 years, so what all have you done to help resolve your obvious disappointment?

Last edited:
Not many things in life are simply "set it and forget it", this isn't just air/fuel management like a stick burner or charcoal.....electronics and auto/manual adjusting are at play, which means multiple opportunities for potential failures.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back