Bull Suckling Pig on the Bull

I’ve always thought about doing a pig. 40# looks like a perfect size. I always assumed you would cook it back side down so the skin would protect the meat, but I love the way you cooked it so it preserves the shape. What made you pull it at 160 IT instead of say 203 like you do with a pork butt. I will definitely have to try this know that I’ve seen it’s possible. Thank you so much for posting and keeping us updated.
From what I have found out, the bigger full hogs are cooked upside down. 40# is a small pig, the hams and shoulders are much smaller and cook much faster than a full size pig or even cooking a pork butt. I took it off at 160, because even at that temp pork is cooked. I was afraid it would over cook and the meat would be dry if I cooked it longer (I should have). The meat came out good, it pulled off the big bones easily, however I should have let it cook longer because the meat didn’t all pull apart like I wanted it to_Overall it was a good cook, the meat was juicy and tasted good.

I’ve always thought about doing a pig. 40# looks like a perfect size. I always assumed you would cook it back side down so the skin would protect the meat, but I love the way you cooked it so it preserves the shape. What made you pull it at 160 IT instead of say 203 like you do with a pork butt. I will definitely have to try this know that I’ve seen it’s possible. Thank you so much for posting and keeping us updated.

Snook, Google Malcom Reed, and go to his web page. He has some very good information on cooking suckling pig and whole hogs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back