Stampede Still Happy…..Stampede Owner

2Wheeler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I ordered my 590 just before the pandemic and many cooks later it’s still been my preference. My ribs always come out as my wife likes them, butts are fabulous and even briskets have been spot on. The only bump in this has been the temp control in the summer and I figured this to be caused by sitting in sun after much discussion with technical folks in Ga. My last cook was a briskets flat and it was perfect.

Loving my 590. Recently added a lava lock gasket to the lid and I seem to be smoking even better now. Hate to advertise a brand, but i'd highly recommend trying Bear Mountain pellets. I ran their mesquite on these two butts.
20230225_163537[1].jpg

It is good to see that there are folks out there that have had good experiences with their RT grills/smokers. After 2 years, I still like my Trailblazer/RT340 too, but the peripherals not-so-much. The smoker does its job well but the remote app has never worked and I’ve just given up on it. And, the “wheels” on it are ridiculous and I have replaced them with larger ones.

Now, would I ever buy another RT product? Probably not. There are any number of other pellet grills/smokers out there that do the intended job, and that also have apps which actually work. And, some of them are even “Made in USA,” which will likely be my choice going forward.

"a bit extra" is not going to get you an American made grill. There are however more to choose from than I initially thought. I just searched American Made Grills and there are some great results. From a different board I learned about the Sonic Rocket and the Silver Rocket - both Amish made, probably will last generations - like their furniture.

"a bit extra" is not going to get you an American made grill. There are however more to choose from than I initially thought. I just searched American Made Grills and there are some great results. From a different board I learned about the Sonic Rocket and the Silver Rocket - both Amish made, probably will last generations - like their furniture.
Don’t sleep on the Yoder grills. I haven’t had mine (YS640S) long, but the design alone continues to amaze me. Usually when you see something that is totally different than everything else,(pellet grill world) you scratch your head and wonder ‘what were they thinking?’. But the Yoder has a fire box not centered in the grill. Just like what you see in every stick burner. Plus a removable diffuser for direct fire cooking. Also, ann amazing (optional) wood fired oven that has to be experienced to be believed!

The Yoder is mild steel construction, which brings its own challenges, but the design, construction, and even it’s controller is made in USA (Fireboard) so depending on what is important to you, there is a lot to like with the Yoder stuff. Totally a fan now.

I joined the RT family during the pandemic as well, I think.....
I started with a 590, then shortly there after a Bullseye.
I can say I have had years of trouble free grilling. My cooks are all very good, and when I do stray, it still does not suck! I cook on both of them several times a month.

Some faves are:
Ribs on the 590.
Pork Butt on the 590, it does not get any easier!
Tenderloin on the 590 OMG.
Brisket on the 590, so much easier than I ever imagined.
Oh yeah and just smoked a Tri-Tip like a brisket, delicious.

Outside skirt steak on the Bullseye, you need to try this. One of my favs
Chicken, any chicken, thighs, breast, spatchcock, on the Bullseye, Yummmy
Burgers, perfect

I could go on and on.

I don't clean it enough or obsess over it, I just cook on it and it has been the best grill I have ever owned!

It is good to see that there are folks out there that have had good experiences with their RT grills/smokers. After 2 years, I still like my Trailblazer/RT340 too, but the peripherals not-so-much. The smoker does its job well but the remote app has never worked and I’ve just given up on it. And, the “wheels” on it are ridiculous and I have replaced them with larger ones.

Now, would I ever buy another RT product? Probably not. There are any number of other pellet grills/smokers out there that do the intended job, and that also have apps which actually work. And, some of them are even “Made in USA,” which will likely be my choice going forward.
Hey man, everyone love's bbq here. At the same time realize that people buy things based on price and performance. I 100% support usa, infact I contribute to it's defense. I also drive a Toyota for a certain reason. Cheers

I have cooked 5 times on my 590 and have had good results on all of them, I still have my trusty old Hasty Bake and Primo Komodo cooker they all have there place. The 590 is by far the easiest to use, no problems with the app at all. I will be able to pass the Hasty Bake on to my heirs when I'm dead and gone, it is the all stainless model.

You are completely correct, sadly. "A bit extra" will not get it done. We bought a Ford Edge, that was built in Canada, so it's close. Wanted a Kia Telluride, made in Georgia, but just could not accept the stupid markups the Kia dealers were charging. Erin and Ben Napier's Laurel Mercantile (Home Time), sells nothing but USA goods. Even though I am not a "union guy", I to try and buy clothes that are made here, even if I do have to pay a little more -- Texas Brand jeans. Socks and underwear and stuff, I buy USA made. It will take awhile, but SOME manufacturing will make back to the States. Grilla used to make their stuff actually IN Michigan, but they just could not compete at the price-point.

Don’t sleep on the Yoder grills. I haven’t had mine (YS640S) long, but the design alone continues to amaze me. Usually when you see something that is totally different than everything else,(pellet grill world) you scratch your head and wonder ‘what were they thinking?’. But the Yoder has a fire box not centered in the grill. Just like what you see in every stick burner. Plus a removable diffuser for direct fire cooking. Also, ann amazing (optional) wood fired oven that has to be experienced to be believed!

The Yoder is mild steel construction, which brings its own challenges, but the design, construction, and even it’s controller is made in USA (Fireboard) so depending on what is important to you, there is a lot to like with the Yoder stuff. Totally a fan now.
I wish you would not getting me thinking along these lines 🤣🤣🤣

I discovered Yoder after I upgraded to a 700. Such a good deal, I couldn't pass up. Like Jim6820, I would not buy another RT. I quit using the RT app and use my Fireboard instead. Never a hiccup using that product. Yoder is brilliant for partnering with Fireboard for their product.

I have had my 700 over 3 years now and knock on wood have not had an issue with the App! I like the 40 lb pellet capacity since all I use is the competition blends. Also I have noticed that in the last few months updates to the app have been coming on a regular basis unlike in the past! Finally is the number of people having issues with the app represent a very small percentage of the overall RT owners?! Just sayin

I'm just throwing in my two cents worth. I would never own another RT product again. I was so happy when I bought my 590 and for a while I just used it like a grill for steaks, chicken and burgers.

Then when I tried using it as a smoker, it would not keep a constant temp range very well, something they claimed it would do. So I didn't use it for smoking and went back to my trusty old Masterbuilt electric smoker for my ribs, pulled pork, brisket and chicken.

On Thanksgiving of 2020 I decided to do a turkey on the 590. I live in the northeast so it was cold here. I set it up in my garage to keep it out of the wind and elements. I spent the majority of my day babysitting the grill and not spending time with my children and grandkids that I only see occasionally because they don't live near me. It was having these wild temp swings going from 225 degrees to 375 and over for no reason.

Ruined the turkey because it was done 2 hours ahead of schedule and was very dry. I was very upset and called customer service the next day. They were very nice and helpful. They sent me a whole new PID controller and temp probe.

What put the nail in the coffin for me was on Christmas day I attempted to smoke a VERY expensive 16 pound prime rib roast. The 590 did the same thing with the wild temp swings for no reason and I spent the majority of my time trying to control the temps and fretting over how it would come out.

Again, I missed valuable time with my family because of this grill, which made me angry. The 590 succeeded in ruining that beautiful rib roast. I was done 3 hours ahead of time. I tried to keep it warm for those 3 hours but it ended up overdone and cool.

I was livid! I NEVER used it again and it took me a year and a half to sell the stupid thing. I only got half of what I paid for it. I initially bought it because of the precise temperature control that REC TEQ claimed it could achieve but this particular grill failed miserably at that.

This was my experience with the 590 and I'm happy others have no problems at all. I was just an "Unlucky Bull" with mine.

I'm just throwing in my two cents worth. I would never own another RT product again. I was so happy when I bought my 590 and for a while I just used it like a grill for steaks, chicken and burgers.

Then when I tried using it as a smoker, it would not keep a constant temp range very well, something they claimed it would do. So I didn't use it for smoking and went back to my trusty old Masterbuilt electric smoker for my ribs, pulled pork, brisket and chicken.

On Thanksgiving of 2020 I decided to do a turkey on the 590. I live in the northeast so it was cold here. I set it up in my garage to keep it out of the wind and elements. I spent the majority of my day babysitting the grill and not spending time with my children and grandkids that I only see occasionally because they don't live near me. It was having these wild temp swings going from 225 degrees to 375 and over for no reason.

Ruined the turkey because it was done 2 hours ahead of schedule and was very dry. I was very upset and called customer service the next day. They were very nice and helpful. They sent me a whole new PID controller and temp probe.

What put the nail in the coffin for me was on Christmas day I attempted to smoke a VERY expensive 16 pound prime rib roast. The 590 did the same thing with the wild temp swings for no reason and I spent the majority of my time trying to control the temps and fretting over how it would come out.

Again, I missed valuable time with my family because of this grill, which made me angry. The 590 succeeded in ruining that beautiful rib roast. I was done 3 hours ahead of time. I tried to keep it warm for those 3 hours but it ended up overdone and cool.

I was livid! I NEVER used it again and it took me a year and a half to sell the stupid thing. I only got half of what I paid for it. I initially bought it because of the precise temperature control that REC TEQ claimed it could achieve but this particular grill failed miserably at that.

This was my experience with the 590 and I'm happy others have no problems at all. I was just an "Unlucky Bull" with mine.
Bitchy Bull, You're in the wrong thread, this thread is for the 99.999% of the people that are "still happy" with their grill. Every post you made is negative because you couldn't properly diagnose your temp issue. You still come here to complain even though you don't have a RT grill. Adding you to my ignore list so I never have to read any more of your negative commends, shm

Last edited:
Bitchy Bull, You're in the wrong thread, this thread is for the 99.999% of the people that are "still happy" with their grill. Every post you made is negative because you couldn't properly diagnose your issue temp issue. Adding you to my ignore list so I never have to read any more of your negative commends, shm
Sensitive, aren't we? Just stating the facts, my friend. Ignore me, I don't care.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back