Boneless leg of lamb still nearly frozen in the center

JamesB

I am getting ready to smoke a 3.5 pound boneless leg of lamb. It was frozen as hard as a rock when I got it out of the freezer yesterday, and it sat in the ref over night. But, Temp probe says it’s still 30 degrees. If I start it at 225, I’m expecting 3-4 hours to finish it. But, I’m concerned about bacterial growth as it starts to warm up. Am I being careful or paranoid?

Other than you’re cooking frozen meat, I see no problem with it sitting on the smoker at 225, bacteria wise. I would expect it to take longer to get the frozen center cooked.

☝️ What they said. If I was in that situation, however—and had the time—I would use a cold water bath to speed up the defrosting process rather than starting the cook with a frozen center. Submerging frozen protein in a sink full of cold water is a surprisingly effective way to speed up the thawing process. It is not my preferred way to do things, but it works in a pinch.

Last edited:
I think you’ll be ok. I personally don’t like to start with anything under 50F (except seafood) but I keep a pretty clean kitchen and food prep area. My grandparents had full up farms and most of what they cooked was at ambient. Good luck with your cook.

I ended up delaying the cook to let it thaw. Great results, even if I say so myself. 😎. My wife and brother-in-law gave it rave reviews, which in the final analysis, is what I shoot for.

Thanks for everyones’ perspectives and responses,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back